Sign in to follow this  

144 athena base gasket

Quick question, finally got out to the shop and got started on the 144 kit. All is going good, Got the case ground down, most all put back together, but I am second guessing the base gasket. I put the paper ( green ) one in and was wondering if I shouldn't have put the metal one in first? Any thoughts or advice would be great. I'm not so far along that I can't pull the top end back off and switch base gaskets. Again, thanks for all your help, Cman.

hi.you really should get the correct squish set. I had a 2006 yz144 Athena I ran 1.2mm squish and never had a problem the I tryed it with .95 and then had problems.

which base gasket did you have luck with?

You really need to measure the squish. I always got 1.1 squish with stock yamaha base gaskets but i always checked the squish everytime.

I am pretty sure you put the metal one first and use the green gasket next. If you do not use the green gasket your squish might be too tight.

Thanks HS. I'll start with the metal and green, then measure the squish.

With just the Athena supplied metal base gasket, the squish measured 1.2. So today I will go to the bike shop and get some new coolant for the radiator, a couple bigger main jets, royal purple for the gear box, and see how she runs.:ride: I'll give a report, hopefully later on today on how the bile does.

Well the bike started on the 2nd kick, idles fine, and seems to rev good. Going to take it for a short easy spin and see how it does. Will take it for two short spins to break in the new Athena kit before we get too crazy. Running stock jetting and pump gas for right now. Any advice on breaking it in? Hopefully this will be a good experience.:ride: Thanks for all the help, Cman.

Hi, I also have the 144 in my 06 Yamaha, I went from the stock 410 to a 460 with 1/4 race gas mixed with 94 pump gas, my bike still pings the odd time, make sure and listen for it. I had 1.2 mm squish with the metal base gasket, i tried adding the green one as well which gave me 1.5 mm squish, no more ping, no more bottom end. I have the fmf sst pipe on it and have found a few posts that it will cause detonation. My advise if your spark plug is coming loose (caused by detonation) stop riding it, that cost me $800 already.

I am thinking of going back to just the steel gasket and ordering a FMF fatty pipe. Good luck with yours

Hi, I also have the 144 in my 06 Yamaha, I went from the stock 410 to a 460 with 1/4 race gas mixed with 94 pump gas, my bike still pings the odd time, make sure and listen for it. I had 1.2 mm squish with the metal base gasket, i tried adding the green one as well which gave me 1.5 mm squish, no more ping, no more bottom end. I have the fmf sst pipe on it and have found a few posts that it will cause detonation. My advise if your spark plug is coming loose (caused by detonation) stop riding it, that cost me $800 already.

I am thinking of going back to just the steel gasket and ordering a FMF fatty pipe. Good luck with yours

I would definatley ditch the sst I ran a 390 (evrything else stock)most of the time at 2200 feet here in alberta and the piston looked pretty much new when i took it out at 50hrs. My friend had same kit with sst and it detonated the oring out(most common problem with this kit)with stock jetting.