Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

I cannot buy a used dirt bike with lights. Nobody will sell one to me.

Our state will allow conversions come January 3, 2012. :lol: Thank you SB5800.

My YZ250F don't have lights and I don't feel like putting on a WR250F light kit because it requires an entire WR250F bottom end assembly - cases and all. :lol:

I have settled on getting either an XR600R or WR426F or WR400F. I will only buy a lightly used one since the clapped out ones aren't really any cheaper. Would love to get an XR650R but not in my price range. DRZ400s are just too small size wise. I'm big and tall.

So here they are. '01 WR426F. Nice shape and $1,500. Seller agreed to sell it to me so I took my truck to work and was gonna cut out early and pick it up early evening. I get to work (25 mile drive) and he calls and sez he sold it. :smirk:

xrwr003.jpg

xrwr004.jpg

Same thing happens recently with this '92 XR600R for $1,250. :prof:

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

I normally take a van pool to work but I decide to take my gas hog truck and pick up the bike during the weekday and nobody will sell me nothing. :lol: Weekends are totally impossible since everybody else is doing the same thing. I may hafta wait til winter now at this rate. :smirk:

You'd think it'd be easier to buy old kickstart big bore thumpers with lights but apparently not. :lol:

Edited by shrubitup

Why don't you get a stator kit? It's a stator swap that uses the same cases that you have now.

At least you can ride, then when winter comes you can look again for the bike you want. Either that or someone here will PM you and tell you they have something :smirk:

That's amazing your state is moving in the opposite direction to everyone else. They just canned us plating offroad bikes in BC last September.

My WR's still plated though :smirk:

TOM.......pssssst......KTM dude! :pi think you are lucky to miss out on the 426 because there have been "issues" with them . starting while hot is chief among them.

Joe

TOM.......pssssst......KTM dude! :pi think you are lucky to miss out on the 426 because there have been "issues" with them . starting while hot is chief among them.

Joe

Ya gotta admit the XR6 is looking sexy. :smirk:

Edited by shrubitup

If the value of every dirtbike with a headlight in Washington State has gone way up value, its a fools market.

The details of getting a plate are so far from being finalized, it is a speculative market at best.

Until the requirements are finalized, the cost of conversion is an unknown factor.

Ya gotta admit the XR6 is looking sexy. :smirk:

I dunno' about that! i would go from riding a dirtbike that weighs 1 1/2 times my weight to one that weighs 2 1/2 times. WHOA:smirk:

Joe

If the value of every dirtbike with a headlight in Washington State has gone way up value, its a fools market.

The details of getting a plate are so far from being finalized, it is a speculative market at best.

Until the requirements are finalized, the cost of conversion is an unknown factor.

I agree. I know it's not going to be a snap but it seems to have at least (with my excessively narrow sample size :smirk:) made bikes with lights sell faster.

I dunno' about that! i would go from riding a dirtbike that weighs 1 1/2 times my weight to one that weighs 2 1/2 times. WHOA:smirk:

Joe

Ya do that such that when you do ride the welterweight you feel all spry. :smirk:

I think the price range your in and time of year has more to do with it then lights.. 90% of the dirt riding public probably doesn't have a clue about the new law.. but bikes in the $1500 range are usually snatched up pretty quickly; at least the clean ones..

I was pretty lucky to get the 2001 KDX I bought recently (which has a light :smirk:).. but I have a way to get notifications when certain ads come up on CL.. and was first to call and show up with cash

I think the price range your in and time of year has more to do with it then lights.. 90% of the dirt riding public probably doesn't have a clue about the new law.. but bikes in the $1500 range are usually snatched up pretty quickly; at least the clean ones..

I was pretty lucky to get the 2001 KDX I bought recently (which has a light :smirk:).. but I have a way to get notifications when certain ads come up on CL.. and was first to call and show up with cash

Ya lucky Robb Dogg. :smirk:

Send me that app sometime won`t cha?

I know it's not going to be a snap but it seems to have at least (with my excessively narrow sample size :ride:) made bikes with lights sell faster.

Might well be true.

Might be a slightly easier conversion.

Might be that PT Barnum was right.:lol:

Note: I have not bought or sold a bike with a light on it this year even though I have at least five that run.

Note: I have not bought or sold a bike with a light on it this year even though I have at least five that run.

Note that you can only ride one at a time. :ride:

It could be time to sell one. :lol:

There is a universal tusk lighting kit for under $200 with a rechargeable battery. Throw that on your yzf and still have the money for a more road worthy dual sport.

Don't know if you've already sat on one but a drz is usually pretty comfortable for tall riders, wouldn't rule them out just yet.

There is a universal tusk lighting kit for under $200 with a rechargeable battery. Throw that on your yzf and still have the money for a more road worthy dual sport.

Don't know if you've already sat on one but a drz is usually pretty comfortable for tall riders, wouldn't rule them out just yet.

Had a DRZ. Too small. Where to track down a rechargeable battery? I don't like trail tech.

My buddy street plated his 02 YZ250f.

He uses a flashlight for the headlight, and the tail light has a 9v battery and it's always on. aahahahaa

It works. It gets him the 3-5 miles he needs to go to get to the trails. :ride: