Sign in to follow this  

Powder Coat Rims?

So I want black rims but they are wayyy too spendy. I had a friend that had a quad with a powder coated axle and it never chipped once. I got an 06 CRF250X and the rims are stock. Can I get these powder coated and save a few bucks?

You can, but you will need to remove the spokes, and then have them re laced. I don't suggest it, because every bit of weight you add to your wheels is a ton of resistance on the bike.

You can, but you will need to remove the spokes, and then have them re laced. I don't suggest it, because every bit of weight you add to your wheels is a ton of resistance on the bike.

Bit powder coat is not gonna make any dif on the bike you will ever notice:thumbsup:ever:lol:.Save yourself some cash and go for it.Mine are done and have never chipped yet anyway:p

I had a set of ken crf wheels and hubs powder coated and it was almost A's spendy A's buying a different set of wHeels. The powder coating wasn't to bad but between that and getting the wheels laced added up unless you do your own wheel work I would just spend a little more for an extra set of wheels. But my powder coated wheels and hubs never chipped and lasted the 2 yeArs I had the bike

Over here a good set of wheels cost about £450 ish,powder coating rims black plus hubs red cost me £30,and stripping and building cost £60.As long as your wheels are in good nick and no bends or oval spoke holes or siezed spokes, you can keep the cost down.:thumbsup:Unless you have money to throw at the bike or you race the bike at some high level then save yourself some cash and give it a go:ride:

I have a bunch of seized spokes in my wheels. When I can afford it I am going to put all new spokes in my wheels. I planned to attempt lacing them up myself. Now after reading this I may just strip them down and them powder coated.

Any one have there wheels powder coated with any color other than black?...How did it look. Although I like the idea of new polished spokes on a powder coated black rim with powder coated red hubs.

Hmm, maybe I will take a look at the wheels first before I set anything in stone yet. They are in pretty decent condition as far as I can tell, but I think I will have a mechanic to double check it for me.

I got my stock rims and hubs powder coated black about 7 months ago. they havent scratched or chipped at all. they look sick on my white 250x. Any stuborn spokes i just cut them out. The powder coating cost me $50 au and i got them relaced replacing any spokes i'd cut out and tubes and tires back on for $180. Dont relace them yourself.... it will give you a headache. Pay someone to do it. All up cost me $230. Better than paying $1400 for excels.