Custom Hand Grips for Bark Busters

I tried searching this first but no luck. Does anyone make any custom hand grips that already have the ends drilled through so that they would go right on when installing bark busters, or any full wrap hand guards?

I always end up drilling the grips out with a Roto Zip, but sometimes it takes too big a bite and I end up macking the grips or my hand

Just wondering if someone already makes these for our favorite grips...just havent seen them in the shops I frequent.

Take an old steel handlebar, cut the grip part off, sharpen the end with a file, lube with dishsoap and slide grip on.

Now with the end of the grip against a piece of scrap lumber, whack it with a mallet.

Should cut a perfect hole in the end of the grip.

If it don't, you didn't sharpen the end or hit it hard enough.

I used a rat-tail file and sharpened up a piece of electrical conduit... then I slid it in to my new grip... smack it on to a scrap piece of wood:bonk:... and have a perfect hole in the end of the grip for the bark buster ends to fit in...

Take an old steel handlebar, cut the grip part off, sharpen the end with a file, lube with dishsoap and slide grip on.

Now with the end of the grip against a piece of scrap lumber, whack it with a mallet.

Should cut a perfect hole in the end of the grip.

If it don't, you didn't sharpen the end or hit it hard enough.

This works well, but the throttle side will still need to be trimmed up, I use an exacto knife for that in the past. I acquired a lot of tools a while back and recently found a gasket cutter set in a box I had shoved to the back...works beautifully

FDGhpSMn83Ti8j9lV9kNApx_WoES2phpVqtWQhNBrUAhyq4gwIG0rp6-4pCEcHuhf_xC1fJoeWTa7BfD4lMgTFVYYG2ZB_EJar3jmVdxX99fk2PbAwg5iCOkQbOHMWTDBOsb6oE64oK37qY6KhF_RiQA9ZgVQ20I0X9hj_AYE2MOpC_9NZkI0rzj

similar to this one.

I just hack the end off with a knife, what the hell is the big deal about this?!?!

I understand your comment, but what I am wanting is a nice clean hole while at the same time being able to keep that raised edge of the grip intact...hacking the end off does not necessarily give me what I want in this situation.

I have seen a few ideas in this thread that make sense---smacking a sharpened tube and punching out the hole, using a gasket cutter, etc.

For wrap around protection get maier woodspro plastic guards to go over whatever hand gurads . or get some moose foam guards and put them over whatever guards you already have for $20.?

I have Acerbis nylon composite material injection molded in and around the aluminum guard, so each handguard is basically one piece.

I just want to keep the hand grips pretty much as they come out of the package, minus a small hole to account for the wrap around guard.

I have Acerbis nylon composite material injection molded in and around the aluminum guard, so each handguard is basically one piece.

I just want to keep the hand grips pretty much as they come out of the package, minus a small hole to account for the wrap around guard.

So with a foam moose guard for $20 you zipty to the outside of your acerbis guards or buy some moose basic bark busters and put the maier woodspro you will get much better hand protection.

I don't know why a box cutter knife wouldn't work good enough but the odi system is clean simple and solid with on and off with just an allen wrench. I don't care for the choice of actual grips offered though. It's ok but not great.

Here's a couple of examples of how the woodspro and moose foam protectors work and look: the looks aren't the greatest but not too terrible. The protection is the best so far.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=12056

http://www.youtube.com/user/woodsrider117#p/u/7/KJt4C4EdCQI

http://www.youtube.com/user/woodsrider117#p/u/6/Dup23l5h3k4

http://www.youtube.com/user/woodsrider117#p/u/10/1B800pz9NJg

I hear ya. I've spent years trying to cut the perfect hole out of the end of my grips. I hate cutting the raised end off because 9 times out of 10 you end up cutting it all crooked and the grip ends up feeling short and you can kind of see the throttle tube. That drives me nuts. Plus I just have this touch with the raised end of the grip.

What I do is I use a piece of copper plumbing. I bought a 12 inch piece just for boring out grip ends. It's slightly smaller than the diameter of a pair of bars, so you don't have to worry about getting the non throttle side stuck. Like others, I take a mallet and a block of wood and slam the mallet around the grip until it cuts a perfect hole out.

I use the threaded BRP hand guard inserts with Cycra Wraparounds. The threaded inserts let you float the throttle side a little more so you have clearance.

My ideal would be to cut a perfect hole in the end of a throttle tube that would be larger in diameter than the BRP insert.

Right now, I'm cutting the entire end of the tube off. Anybody have a good tool that would let you cut a donut hole out of a throttle tube?

My ideal would be to cut a perfect hole in the end of a throttle tube that would be larger in diameter than the BRP insert.

Right now, I'm cutting the entire end of the tube off. Anybody have a good tool that would let you cut a donut hole out of a throttle tube?

I use a Dremel and just grind the needed size hole in the end of the throttle tube.

Use an Exacto to cut the hole in the end of the grips.

Easy, simple, and quick.?

7/8 drill bit.