Sign in to follow this  

CR250 or CRF250?

Can't decide. I'm 190 lbs, 5'10. I am going to be riding in the dunes and the desert. Whenever I go to the desert, it's usually Ocotillo Wells and we mostly hit around 40 ft. jumps. Would you recommend a CRF? or a CR? I've ridden and YZF250 and was totally fine on it, just haven't ridden in the dunes. Basically what I am asking, would a CR250 be too much for easy jumping? And would a CRF250 be too little for Dumont Dunes? Thanks a lot.

Well, this IS the two stroke section, so I'm guessing you know what the answer will be here... :smirk:

true... but i just need to know which would better suit be. an honest opinion. also, is riding a bike hard in the dunes? with a paddle of course.

If your are going to ride dunes with a paddle tire you should have a cr500. A crf 250 is going to way down on power for real dune/paddle tire ridding. Cr250 acceptable.

no way am i getting a cr500. hahah. i cr250 might even be too much power for me. im just not sure. i can get a cr250 for $1500.. but its beaten up. i would need a new pipe(current one has a major dent), new plastics, and possibly tires. thats about $500 right off the bat, so about $2000.

Have you ever ridden a two stroke, or just the four? There's a pretty big difference in how you ride. The four strokes have smooth power over most of the rpm range, while the two strokes are typically a lot more peaky/sudden...

The CR250 is a great bike for jumping! Look at how many FMX guys have used them...

Can you borrow a two stroke to ride? Some people love them, some people hate them. Only way to tell is to actually ride one...

:smirk:

EDIT: +1 on the CR500 for the dunes. Sand can really slow you down...

Edited by Dougster
More opinions...

i can probably borrow one. i've ridden a 65 but that is nothing compared to a 250. i know the cr is a good bike for jumping, might just be too jumpy and stuff for me. im not sure how hard riding in the dunes is either. i probably wont get a bike till end of august, when the season starts backk up.

get a cr250 for sure. its lighter and easyer to flick around then a 250F. also itll have alot more balls in the sand then a 250F.

get a cr250 for sure. its lighter and easyer to flick around then a 250F. also itll have alot more balls in the sand then a 250F.

definitely... im worried about too much balls though. haha.

cr all the way if you get a pre 02(i know thats flame bait) it will have plenty of tq to get going in the sand. and when your moving you will be on or close to on the pipe 90% of the time. in which case you will be more than happy with the extra hp. And when it comes time to a rebuild cause your beating on the bike at the dunes. you will be happy again you bought the smoker. If you were getting into motocross or even trail riding i would say go crf, but for dunes riding 2 stroke without a doubt.

youll get use to it. all you need to do is respect the bike and itll respect you.

it isnt as bad as it is made out to be.

I am not biased towards 2 strokes or 4 strokes. I have ridden both in the dunes. I rode a CRF250 that runs very very good in all my normal riding areas which are primarily desert and open area riding. I took it to Pismo and I felt like the bike was just working too hard all the time. It did haul me around ok but just seemed to be over worked.

On the same trip I also brought my brothers 2002 KX250. At the time of this ride I was a bit intimidated by the KX. In my normal riding areas, it was a hand full and getting used to the power band was a bit difficult, especially coming off of a 4 stroke.

In the Sand at Pismo the bike was perfect. It had all the power I could ask for and I needed it. The bike did not seem to labor and the power was quite welcome in the sand. I just kept it up on the pipe and my weight back and had a blast.

I vote for the 2 stroke 250 for your dune riding.

That was about a year ago and now I like the power of the 2 stroke in the dirt as well as the sand. I still like the predictability of the 4 stroke and I have a blast no matter what I am riding but you do get used to the power of the 250 2 stroke.

no way am i getting a cr500. hahah. i cr250 might even be too much power for me. im just not sure. i can get a cr250 for $1500.. but its beaten up. i would need a new pipe(current one has a major dent), new plastics, and possibly tires. thats about $500 right off the bat, so about $2000.

I can get a a pretty decent 1995 Cr250 for $1,300 where I live.... The 250 has enough power for the dunes no problem, don't get the 500 it's way to punchy for anyone that hasn't had years riding.

You could always take mine if you want :smirk:

you ain't hittin' 40 ft jumps in the desert on a 250f. get a cr 250. it's twice the power of the that four stroke, and you're gonna need it. just sayin'.

don't get the 500 it's way to punchy for anyone that hasn't had years riding.

Nah....it's like a tractor that happens to have the two stroke snap when you need it. The only thing I ever found to be intimidating about a CR 500 was the overall size of the bike. 500's aren't that bad to ride, if you aren't already all psyched out from the tales of how scary 500's are. Most of which come from those who haven't even ridden one and the rest coming from those trying to scare the guys who haven'r ridden one. :smirk:

you ain't hittin' 40 ft jumps in the desert on a 250f. get a cr 250. it's twice the power of the that four stroke, and you're gonna need it. just sayin'.

It's more like 10 more hp.

Nah....it's like a tractor that happens to have the two stroke snap when you need it. The only thing I ever found to be intimidating about a CR 500 was the overall size of the bike. 500's aren't that bad to ride, if you aren't already all psyched out from the tales of how scary 500's are. Most of which come from those who haven't even ridden one and the rest coming from those trying to scare the guys who haven'r ridden one. :smirk:

I find it a good practice to instill a lot of respect for a bike before letting someone ride it. A CR500 will kill you at any throttle level, at any speed if you quit respecting it. That is usually what I tell people who have never ridden one. On the other hand, it does have a very usable power curve so with proper throttle control, they are a dream to ride. Just remember that if you get a little aggressive with the throttle, you may end up in the emergency room.

I find it a good practice to instill a lot of respect for a bike before letting someone ride it. A CR500 will kill you at any throttle level, at any speed if you quit respecting it. That is usually what I tell people who have never ridden one. On the other hand, it does have a very usable power curve so with proper throttle control, they are a dream to ride. Just remember that if you get a little aggressive with the throttle, you may end up in the emergency room.

I could say the same thing about a CR250, 125, or 80. When I first got a CR 80, I had no idea what was going on. I was just lucky enough to only have made one or two errors in throttle control before I picked it up. Am I saying a CR500 is good for beginners? Nope....I am just saying that it isn't a bike to be scared of. All bikes need respect and throttle control, or you will end up in an emergency room. Not really a 500 only issue.

You could always put a big flywheel weight on when you start riding it. That will really smooth things out. Then, when you're comfortable with the way the bike handles, take the weight off, or put a smaller one on...

(For example, start with a 12 oz, then later switch to an 8 oz. Before long, you'll want to get rid of the weight anyway!) :smirk:

I could say the same thing about a CR250, 125, or 80. When I first got a CR 80, I had no idea what was going on. I was just lucky enough to only have made one or two errors in throttle control before I picked it up. Am I saying a CR500 is good for beginners? Nope....I am just saying that it isn't a bike to be scared of. All bikes need respect and throttle control, or you will end up in an emergency room. Not really a 500 only issue.

I have a feeling that an accidental snap of the throttle when you are in 4th gear and not on the pipe, on a 80, 125 or even a 250 wouldn't have nearly as dramatic of an effect as it does on a 500. I loved my brothers 85 cr500, but that bike was not a bike that you would EVER want to lose any fear of.