Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - LAST NIGHT TO ENTER! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

1979 Honda Trail 90 runs then dies

I have a mint 1979 Honda Trail 90 ct90. I am having trouble keeping it running. I have disassembled the carb and checked the float, replaced the fuel lines, (removed the fuel filters) to eliminate the possibility, Cleaned the carb, Fresh gas, checked for shorts. Dies when run for about 10 min and when choke is turned off. Fresh plug gapped at .028.

I may have reversed the fuel lines at the carb. I have not tried to reverse them back yet.

Any ideas? or, something I may have overlooked?

Danny

Cleaned the carb

You need to do this again. If it runs with choke only that usually indicates some part of the pilot/idle circuit is clogged. You should also clean the entire fuel system to ensure that you don't clog it up again.

One other thing to check is the gas cap . If I remember there is a small vent hole that plugs up sometimes . It is like holding your finger over the end of a straw it will run out of fuel until it sits or you open the cap. May not be it ,but something to eliminate .

Hi EqD

I have been working hard with Hale Honda Prescott AZ to resolve the issue with my TR90

When I find the resolution I will pass it on to you.

Danny

I have a mint 1979 Honda Trail 90 ct90. I am having trouble keeping it running. I have disassembled the carb and checked the float, replaced the fuel lines, (removed the fuel filters) to eliminate the possibility, Cleaned the carb, Fresh gas, checked for shorts. Dies when run for about 10 min and when choke is turned off. Fresh plug gapped at .028.

I may have reversed the fuel lines at the carb. I have not tried to reverse them back yet.

Any ideas? or, something I may have overlooked?

Danny

I have 3 CT90's myself. As you know those bikes have 2 fuel lines running from the tank. If your concerned that you may have switched them just move the petcock from one position to the other and see if anything changes. As mentioned by someone else check the gas cap, all three of my bikes had restricted cap's. Look close at the top and bottom of the cap and you will see 3 very small holes, stick a needle in the holes and move it around to clear the junk. A sure fire way to rule out the cap is to run the bike w/out the gas cap on and see if anything changes. 3rd, suggestion is to take apart the petcock. I took one apart last week that was totally blocked. Most of the junk was on the back side of the petcock. As sitting on the bike, look down at the right side of the carb to find 2 screws high up on the carb, behind that small plate is a screen to filter the gas. Check and clean that.

I also suggest using clear fuel line, it's nice to see gas move towards the carb when you open up the petcock.

Another thought is to run it and after it dies pull the plug and check for spark. If you have spark procede as above, if not. Find out why you don't have spark.

pb