dual sports in the $1000 ranger?

Is there anything I can get decent for that price? If so, what models should I look for?

You're going to have to get very lucky, even if you do find one for $1000, it's likely to need some work to get it to where it's reliable or complete.

I have found that dual sports have a magic shelf where they really don't fall much below about $1500 unless they're decrepit, very outdated, or hogged out, or you get lucky and someone needs cash badly or doesn't know what they have.

DR350... XR600... XT350 or 650... KLR 250... XR250L... you'll be looking for early 90s bikes or late 80s... don't ignore them for scratched plastic.

air cooled bikes that haven't been subjected to lots of freeway miles last a long time, and are a lot of fun on the trails

I agree... put up a few more $$ and get something you're not going to have to work on.

I picked up my 94 XR250L with 2600 miles on it for $1600 and that included extra parts and a nice HJC helmet. Deals are out there, just be quick when you see one come up.

I bought a 1995 DR350SE with a fresh rebuild two years ago for $1200. I put a few thousand miles on it and sold it to my dad who rides it a lot now. E-start and the most reliable bike I have ever owned. If my dad keeps up on the maintenance it will run 'til he is too old to ride it.

The KDX200/220 are very nice bikes (2 stroke) and much lighter feeling than the 4 strokes. They are old enough to be hitting the 1k range now.

I don't know what area you live in but the 90's XR250L's are available around here (East Tx, Dallas area) for 1000 to 1600 depending on condition. I'm partial to them cuz I have a '94 XR250L that I picked up for 1300 with less than 5000 miles. Now it needed a kit for the front brake master cyl., new tires and uni-filter. I looked for one for quite a while, but they are out there. Matter of fact, I rode it to work today. Good luck.

I agree... put up a few more $$ and get something you're not going to have to work on.

I picked up my 94 XR250L with 2600 miles on it for $1600 and that included extra parts and a nice HJC helmet. Deals are out there, just be quick when you see one come up.

+2 Most 1K bikes are going to need a few parts and $500 comes up real quick.

For $1500ish you can get more into bikes that will be complete as is.

I am guessing you are limiting the price to $1000 for a purpose. Here is the short story of my sub $1000 dual sport. I kept it on the cheap because I had no idea if I would enjoy the dirt bike side (been road riding for many years) so I figured I could find a cheap bike, fix a few things, see if I liked riding it and if so I could upgrade later or get out of it for cost or close. I found a not running 97 dr350 for $400 the next day after cleaning the carb replacing the the fuse and a few simple checks, I had a running bike. Getting a title was the next challenge which after a visit to the dmv, a phone call to the State Vehicle Inspector, a Vin inspection, some paperwork I had a title on the way and a plate in hand. (others experiences vary greatly, if you don't get a title then call the DMV before you spend money and know if it can be done.) After those two challenges were done, I started getting the bike fixed up right. new front bearings, rejeted the carb, new battery (I was using jumper cables from a old car battery) plus a few other parts here and there like cables, tire oil change with filter, chain and sprocket. I have about $650-$700 in to it and could sell for at least that. The bike seems reliable and I am having fun riding and wrenching on it.

Your expirence may differ. but be honest with your self about what wrenching you can do, and realistic about what you will have in the end. the little DR will never be the KTM EXC of my dreams but it works and it gets my feet wet (see DR section ... Riding game for picture) I am having fun with it and it hasn't broken the bank.

As far as what bikes to get check what has a bulletproof reputation (bikeslut gave a good short list) and scour the area for those bikes, and wait and wait some more. I seem to find the best deals in the late fall up here in the cold mountain states because most don't ride from mid October to May (I do and the DR works great for that because unlike my gsxr1000 I don't worry much about dropping it) it also gives me a winter of tinkering to get it fixed up right and some short rides for testing before the prime riding weather come in the spring. If the target price is $1000 look for a bike well under that price so you have some money left for parts. Even those that buy new bike shell out more to get them set up the way they want with the farkels used bikes often have those items all ready so it is the repair items that get the $. My target was $800 before I felt like it was too much $ for a "try something new" venture. Good luck and have fun.

There's a guy right now on the Yamaha Dual-Sport page trying to get rid of his XT600 for 700 bucks. He's already done most of the heavy lifting, he just needs it gone. If you're close enough, there's your project. Read his post, I just replied to him, so you can tell who I'm referring to.

Like the others here: if you are handy, you can most likely pull off the 1K or less thing, but just like cars, there is a threshold on price. $8K seems to be it for cars: you can pay less, but you're gambling at that that point. $1500 seems to be it for bikes.

xr's are not dual sport. Very hard or impossible to license in states such as Washington.

An XR250L is 50 state legal from factory, it would only be hard to "license" or register if you couldn't use a pen/pencil at the DMV.

I just bought a DR250SE for $1100.... ran like crap, needed a carb clean and thats about it. That was 2 weeks ago and I've put maybe 750 miles on it so far, pretty smooth, $15/month for me to insure at 19 years old and 50mpg so its a cheap ride.

An XR250L is 50 state legal from factory, it would only be hard to "license" or register if you couldn't use a pen/pencil at the DMV.

My mistake. Forgot about the L's.