Sign in to follow this  

New (to me) DR-Z knocking after 200 miles!! What now?

Soo... I got an 05 SM for $2500. It had 15,xxx on the odo but it ran great when I bought it and looked to have been well taken care of (oil change reciepts, service history etc.) The owner had multiple bikes both Japanese and exotics and seems to have extensive knowledge about bikes. Anyways, rode fine for 200 miles now it starting to knock on me. It started as an almost "bad bearing" type sound, (it was constant, and the faster I went the worse it got) Now, about half a tank later the light "tick" or valve tap I had at idle (which I was told was normal) has now started to resemble a knock. I am just hoping it is not coming from the bottom end, and that I am not another victim of buying a shitty, beat-up abused run through DR-Z. :smirk: I have not done anything to the bike since I got it other than change the oil and flush the coolant. I will start the tear down in the morning. I will check valve clearances asap but I was wondering what else you guys think I should check while I'm in there? Thanks any input greatly appreciated.

Is there a way to check and make sure the ACCT is working correctly??

First thing I would check is that you put BOTH the orings back in when you did the oil change, assuming you changed the filter?

The one behind the filter gets missed

Give the ACCT a light tap and see if it gets quieter.

I have been looking around and seems more than a few people are having slight knocking/ rattles going on with their motor's. I'm starting to think that it might be the counter balance nut, seems more than a few people's have come completely loose. Good news is I have the week off work. I guess the game plan is pop off the valve cover in the morn. Then check my clearances, check the timing, inspect the cam chain, do the lock tight fixes etc. How do I go about checking that the crank and bottom end are all balanced and in order. Because if the bottom end is done my best bet would be to sell it asap or source a new motor right??

Because if the bottom end is done my best bet would be to sell it asap or source a new motor right??

Hold on. If the bottom end is going bad, you would sell the bike to someone as if it were a good running bike?

Hold on. If the bottom end is going bad, you would sell the bike to someone as if it were a good running bike?

It happens allll the time dude.

Note he didn't actually say he would sell it as a good running bike. Give the guy a break.

haha ya I would shine it up real nice and not let them ride it and tell them it is in showroom condition. :smirk:

Seems like a good idea to check things out as planned. DRZ's have noisy motors. You may want to take a step back unless the knock is really obvious. If bearing is gone, it's not that big a deal to repair if you have a manual and some help from the forum. Don't forget about doing the right thing. That's worth more than any bike.

haha ya I would shine it up real nice and not let them ride it and tell them it is in showroom condition. :smirk:

And I'd come back and fire bomb your house in the middle of the night. :smirk:

good thing I got 4 led IP cameras on each corner of my house to catch your plates haha, but seriously, I would never do that just being a smart ass man c'mon now.