xl600r engine noise

i just adjusted the valves and the sound didnt go away, any idea what it is? maybe cam chains stretched and slapping or just worn out?

its an 83 btw. thanks

Edited by buddasahk

bump to top

Noises are very hard to diagnose..It is bound to be something to do with the Camchain or Tensioner or guides or tappet gap.. Exactly which is in my view impossible to know.

Does the bike start easily at present,,Sounds just like a 450 with that exhaust by the way..That Tappet gap on the front rights always a difficult one to adjust. What I do with that is disconnect the hand operated decomp cable from the fitting on the head so there's no tension on the arm..I then push the actual arm back so there is no possible chance of interference between it and where you're attempting the tappet adjustment,,Not saying that's what the noise is just that that single tappet is a bit of a pain to adjust. Thing doesn't sound that bad to me but I own a slightly rattly 86 600 so rattling a bits kinda normal to me..

What Horri said..

Do what Horri said. and it sounds to me more like chain than rocker slap

and try this........ throw away the auto-decomp cable from the kicker to the head!

just use the handlebar lever and do "The Drill".

I was much happier after I did it.

I also have a video posting of my XL "whine" here somewhere... search for me, and you'll find it.

Noises are very hard to diagnose..It is bound to be something to do with the Camchain or Tensioner or guides or tappet gap.. Exactly which is in my view impossible to know.

Does the bike start easily at present,,Sounds just like a 450 with that exhaust by the way..That Tappet gap on the front rights always a difficult one to adjust. What I do with that is disconnect the hand operated decomp cable from the fitting on the head so there's no tension on the arm..I then push the actual arm back so there is no possible chance of interference between it and where you're attempting the tappet adjustment,,Not saying that's what the noise is just that that single tappet is a bit of a pain to adjust. Thing doesn't sound that bad to me but I own a slightly rattly 86 600 so rattling a bits kinda normal to me..

the bike starts first kick almost every time, hell it started 2nd kick when i went to look at it and the owner said it had been sitting over a year with old gas.

ill try your technique a re- adjust the top right tappet. i need to put a new valve cover gasket due to oil seepage, when i do that will i be able to tell if the cam chain / tensioner is OK? i guess i ll be able to see how much the tensioner is pushing the chain in... i probably should just replace the cam chain, i want the bike to be reliable on long ride.

thanks for the help!

Do what Horri said. and it sounds to me more like chain than rocker slap

and try this........ throw away the auto-decomp cable from the kicker to the head!

just use the handlebar lever and do "The Drill".

I was much happier after I did it.

I also have a video posting of my XL "whine" here somewhere... search for me, and you'll find it.

whats the advantage of having no kick-decomp cable?

Sounds like a cam chain for sure. As bad as it sounds,look close at the bottom sprocket too,it could be worn. But look real close...only a portion or half of the sprocket will have wear.

That cracked me up when the camera went into the pipe. LOL!

Sounds like a cam chain for sure. As bad as it sounds,look close at the bottom sprocket too,it could be worn. But look real close...only a portion or half of the sprocket will have wear.

That cracked me up when the camera went into the pipe. LOL!

I got a kick out of that too...:ride:

It reminded me of the commercial of the dog looking for those bacon strips for some reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CErapf79rqM

:ride:

That sound can only be ONE sound...is it the valves over here? Cam chain over there? Omm nomnomnomnomnom.....its bacon!

whats the advantage of having no kick-decomp cable?

I got tired of worring if my noise was a mis-adjusted cable keeping a valve open and doing bad things to my wallet.

I threw it out and never missed it. :thumbsup:

took the motor out yesterday, tested the compression before i pulled it

XLplants033.jpg

cam chain looks stretched

XLplants048.jpg

does it look like the tensioners maxed out?

XLplants067.jpg

rocker damage

XLplants052.jpg

XLplants071.jpg

good thing i have a spare

XLplants060.jpg