Sign in to follow this  

Can i fix this comp bolt/adjuster?

IMG_4514.jpg

can i fix this comp bolt/adjuster?

its been stuck to the full closed position and its free turning without coming

back out

thanks

If it isn't stripped, then it has just went past the end of the thread. Get something inside to put some pressure on it while unscrewing. Should work.

ok thanks, if its striped can i open it up and fill it with epoxy, drill it, tap it or sound too much???

thenks for the info!!!:smirk:

ok thanks, if its striped can i open it up and fill it with epoxy, drill it, tap it or sound too much???

almost everything can be fixed, depends on your skills :smirk:

this is what you can expect:

YZ426reb-clicker.JPG

its a compression adjuster of a 02 YZ426F

I've never fixed a stripped one before. I was always thinking that there was too much going on in there.

how do you take the brass part out, do you unfold the taps? do i have to cut it and re weld it? what are the usuall way separating one apart?

would like to know some common practice if they exist before i start my diy:busted:

thanks

no inside on this one, anyone? may be a better picture, i will try and open it anyway tommorow...

Edited by wblake

The threads generally don't strip. I tried to explain what usually happens in an earlier post. The adjuster (screw) if it is wound in too far, can go beyond the threaded section on the inside of the valve. Compare it to the other one. If the screw head is 'deeper' then most likely that it what has happened.

If this is the case, there may be a bleed hole on the side of the valve where you can see the screw. It may be possible to put some pressure on it so that it relocates onto its threads.

ok, will try that and see what happens! its important for me to have a plan before i go to work on the bike, since its a half hour drive from where i leave...