Nearly had my DRZ stolen last night

You cannot imagine how I felt when I walked outside to go to work this morning and my beloved DRZ wasn't there. I nearly died. By some miracle I looked down the footpath and saw something in the dark lying on the ground and it was my bike dropped on its side. Maybe they got sick of the steering lock or someone gave them a fright but they gave up.

It took about 20minutes for my heart rate to drop below 250! I have always locked my bike in a shed or chained somewhere, but the 2 days I left it unchained it was taken and I was so close to losing it all together. After years of nothing happening I got complacent and paid the price. Today I bought the biggest chain I could and a Xena disc lock with alarm and made sure to take the security measures that I should have taken every day.

The DRZ is not the most expensive or rare bike to steal, but it's our time and our money that goes in to making them unique and enjoying them. That was what gave me such a fright. I nearly lost a bike I couldn't replace.

Definately had a beer to finish the day today.

You live in a small town...

Your location says new york - as Im English that seems quite an ironic statement lol.

OP glad they didnt get too far, your a lucky one thats for sure. Obviously not too bright if they didnt realise how weak the steering lock is, far too easy to just snap it off and continue with the robbery.

No thief can ever be too bright! They tend to be the type of people from the shallow end of the gene pool. Would love to catch the dogs in the act. I keep a set of nunchucks hidden On the way to my shed.. Just in case.....Think I might get a Rottweiler Too ?

You live in a small town...

Your location says new york - as Im English that seems quite an ironic statement lol.

OP glad they didnt get too far, your a lucky one thats for sure. Obviously not too bright if they didnt realise how weak the steering lock is, far too easy to just snap it off and continue with the robbery.

NY is a state...lots and lots of small rural towns in NY. NY,NY is what you're thinking about.

there lucky they didnt get caught by yourself,im sure if your anything like me i would have cut there hands of with pleasure....i really would.who cares of the consequences,they take the risk of getting caught they can face up to it .....

Insurance? Do ppl not buy theft insurance for their beloved bikes? I personally have mine insured at $8500, seems high but atleast I could replace it if something was to happen!!

Yeah insurance is an essential. But I'm kinda attached to my bike. Would still be a pain in the rear to replace it.

Good man. Keep that thing safe.

I'm the same way as stated above. I'm generally a calm helpful person. I change strangers' tires, etc. But when someone takes what I worked for, there are no stops and the destruction that will become of their bodies knows no bounds.

The best fail I saw was my friend's KTM 625SMC was stolen... almost. It had a disc lock that was set about one revolution from catching the fork guard when the bike was pushed forward. Somebody tried to run away with it and the front wheel locked up. The bike was found in the morning on the ground, and a small trickle of blood led up the driveway from it. BAM. Bike mainly undamaged. Needed a new fork guard decal.

NY is a state...lots and lots of small rural towns in NY. NY,NY is what you're thinking about.

Correct, I was thinking NY, NY

Wasnt perticularly aware NY was a state, obviously knew it was a city but not that its was a city in a state of the same name.

Just looked on google earth to get a bit of a geography lesson. NY City seems to be about the fartherest extermity of NY state, its more in New Jersey than it is New York.

It actually explains a lot... when we were visiting niagara falls with my high school, we were told new york was other other side of the river. I remember been quite disopointed not to see the sky scrapers at the time. I sort assumed I must have heard incorrectly and never thought much more about it, but now viewing google earch, its not suprising considering I would have been nearly 350miles away from NY City at the time lol - would have had a nice view of buffelo though.

Are east hampton and south hampton NY state also or are they Connecticut? HA New york state has about 3x the land mass of England, its nearly twice the size of the entire UK. - Not bad to say its taken me 26years to realise it existed.

I'm not sure if east or south hampton are in NY. I just googled it though and the answer is New York. They are on long Island like New York city is. I've never been to New York City but there are several large cities directly around the city which create it.