TTR230's and TTR225's

The biggest complaint I have with my wifes 06' TTR 230 is that it does not come with a backup kickstart. Electric start only. Other then that it has been a great bike for my wife and friends who are learning to ride.

I understand the 230 is heavier and slower than the 225. The 230 looks WAY cooler however. I am quite satisfied with the 225 as it is kinda heavy but carries its weight low. It has an awesome midrange powerband that really works when you keep it in the zone. 230's are more expensive and not as loved as 225's. Seems the 230 lost the 225's mojo. I have two other dirt bikes that are e-start only and have never wanted for a kick starter - so that's not a deal breaker.

? I thought the 225 was heavier? Well either way, i have a TTR230, and so far i love it. I cant really tell its a pig because i went from a little pitbike to that, and never rode anything else, so it fits for the time being. Awesome trail blazer, not a race bike. And for those e start bikes, and battery tender goes a long way ?

Oh, and another thing is the 230 has almost no aftermarket support. So if your looking into tricking it out with plastics, pipes, etc. You are VERY limited.

Would have gotten a 230 but found a diamond in the rough 225 real cheap. With all the mods I would do to either bike I have less than $900 in it. I only wish it had aluminum rims.

BTW I know of a 230 in California that is brand new: knobs are perfectly sharp as on the showroom floor. Somebody bought the bike, took the engine out and replaced it with another engine - probably a 225. It can't be registered because the numbers don't match (current owner tried and was rejected). It can be had for around $900. If anyone is interested let me know.

• 2 months later...

I've just started looking at these now that my wife is hooked and wanting her own bike.

Did Yamaha put heavier spokes on the 230 since the 225 were known to break fairly easily?

For a given engine size, is an XT just a TTR with street legal conversion?

I agree about no kicker to backup the magic button - is there an aftermarket add-on to remedy this ?

Thanks Guys

Did Yamaha put heavier spokes on the 230 since the 225 were known to break fairly easily?

For a given engine size, is an XT just a TTR with street legal conversion?

I agree about no kicker to backup the magic button - is there an aftermarket add-on to remedy this ?

No,

no,

and no.

I have a YZ426F for racing, and a TT-R 230 for trail riding and play. The TT-R gets more hours on it by far. If there was one thing I would complain about on my 230 it would be the fragility of the rear spokes. The e-start has never been a problem. Even in 10 degree weather, when the battery was dead and it was too cold to push start, jumper cables bring it to life. Once its warm, it's fine for the rest of the day. A new battery every third year isn't too much to ask, is it?

The XT225 is the one with the bum wheels. A popular upgrade for the XT is to put TT-R wheels on it.

The 230 and the 225 are for all intents and purposes, powered by the same motor.

My opinion is the 230 isn't that much greater than the 225 that it's worth putting a lot of time, effort or money into finding a 230 over a 225. My gf is quite happy with her 225 which I've dual sported. However, she does talk about getting a different bike now and then. If both are readily available, go ride each and see which one you like better. Like my gf, your wife will probably want something different in a year or two anyway.

We'll keep this one, at least until our daughter outgrows it. It's also a decent short distance commuter for the minimal amount of work and money I put into dual sporting it.