Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Rock Run GNCC

Recommended Posts

Damn if that doesn't make me want to gear up and twist the throttle. Great video. Keep them coming. I love your stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet man, I raced the morning race, I really liked the course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool video.

I thought the track was easy. or, should I say easier than they used to be. (old person on soapbox coming up:)

GNCC's used to be very tough and it was a challenge to just finish. It was 75% of you against the track and the other 25% you against the competition in your class.

Now it is more like 10% track - 90% competition.

Rock Run was pretty much a 3-4 gear sprint. Don't get me wrong sprint sections have their place but not over 90% of the track. Also, I only saw one single bike layed over in the so called mud section. I say bring back the Black Water 100 and see how many people finish, just like the old days when these races were a challenge.

Watching the pros tackle the mud section ( and this whole track really)was like watching Barry Bonds hit Little League pitching.. It is fun to watch for a few minutes then no so much....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well then get ready! mid ohio valley harescrambles is putting on a blackwater 100 memorial race the 16th through the 19th, supposed to be an actual 100 miler, and no time limit on the big bikes and quads. they are starting it off at the old starvation point, gotta love west virginia

should be a big turnout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cool video.

I thought the track was easy. or, should I say easier than they used to be. (old person on soapbox coming up:)

GNCC's used to be very tough and it was a challenge to just finish. It was 75% of you against the track and the other 25% you against the competition in your class.

Now it is more like 10% track - 90% competition.

Rock Run was pretty much a 3-4 gear sprint. Don't get me wrong sprint sections have their place but not over 90% of the track. Also, I only saw one single bike layed over in the so called mud section. I say bring back the Black Water 100 and see how many people finish, just like the old days when these races were a challenge.

Watching the pros tackle the mud section ( and this whole track really)was like watching Barry Bonds hit Little League pitching.. It is fun to watch for a few minutes then no so much....

I agree that it wasn't very technical but I disagree that it was 90% sprint sections. Extreme events are billed as such, I don't see why the GNCC's have to be extreme events that bust everyone up. The pro class may want tougher stuff but the truth is the ametuers is what keeps the series going. If all the events are made so hard that C/B riders can barely finish one lap no one is going to pay the $65 just to show up and get murdered, not counting the cost to get there. I heard some old schoolers complaining in the pits, funny thing is though they were all sitting in a lawn chair:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GNCC's used to be billed as the toughest racing in the country. Not anymore. Like they saying goes" if it was easy everyone would do it" Well, everyone is doing it now.

I guess they don't want people to get thier panties in a bunch because the rock section was well, actually a rock section. If they make it hard like it was originally then less people will race like you mentioned and that equals less $$$$. I say if you can't make the rock section without falling then you better practice a bit more.

And speaking of rock sections and difficult sections in general, what ever happened to adding a "C" rider route around the difficult sections? If you dont' want to hit it fine, but it will cost you 30 seconds or so. if you DO hit it and make it clean you will cut 30 seconds. I guess they are also off the table now so no one gets their feelings hurt by having to admit they hit the "C" route every race. ( Not that there is anything wrong with that. - seinfeld reference lol)

It used to be a sense of accomplishment to finish a GNCC. Not now.

I am ALL ABOUT that Balckwater memorial race. Can't wait !!!!

ANyone in The Western Md. /Oakland area ever race North Hill? Now that was a sweet track. Difficult but not impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GNCCs are tough. Whether they are the toughest series may be arguable, but you have to consider a plethora things when they design the track. Which includes the number of riders, safe places around slower riders, etc, etc, etc. Last GNCC I raced was the General of this year. They had a single track section that became almost impassable because of roots/ruts. Normally would have been a fun section for most, but the shear number of riders made it difficult and a bottle neck. This is what Racer Productions tries to avoid, while still keeping everyone happy. Ya'll are looking for black and white, when it is clearly grey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They had a single track section that became almost impassable because of roots/ruts. Normally would have been a fun section for most, but the shear number of riders made it difficult and a bottle neck. This is what Racer Productions tries to avoid, while still keeping everyone happy. Ya'll are looking for black and white, when it is clearly grey.

That happens almost every single time at the local tracks in my area. Mostly because of the rock sections that are pretty much unavoidable in this region.

That is part of racing and that is also why there is a section in the rule book that allows a rider to stray from the track any distance necessary to get around the bottleneck. In other words, you gotta make your own trail. Not just sit there and wait if at all possible.

That is exactly what I am talking about. Bottlenecks used to be common in GNCC's and and it took a talented and creative rider to prevail. Now, not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That happens almost every single time at the local tracks in my area. Mostly because of the rock sections that are pretty much unavoidable in this region.

That is part of racing and that is also why there is a section in the rule book that allows a rider to stray from the track any distance necessary to get around the bottleneck. In other words, you gotta make your own trail. Not just sit there and wait if at all possible.

That is exactly what I am talking about. Bottlenecks used to be common in GNCC's and and it took a talented and creative rider to prevail. Now, not so much.

I don't know about that. I personally can't muster the speed of the GNCC pros for 3 seconds let alone 3 hours. I would say they are pretty talented. Also look at Mike Lafferty. He is a great rider and competitive in National Enduros, but he is struggling to get a top 5 GNCC. His best is a fourth so far. I think that the current crop of GNCC guys has ramped the speed up to basically an insane level and the older school guys are having a hard time dealing with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer the National Enduro's if I'm going to race a national, but I prefer to spectate the GNCCs. But I think that riders are trying to make themselves more valuable by running two or more series like Lafferty and Bobbitt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never said the pro riders are not talented or fast. I said that the track is pretty much a sprint and watching the best pro riders in the world race these easy tracks is quite boring.

I would LOVE to watch them tear up a real brutal rock section and/or use their talent to find their way around the bottlenecks. A good super hard rock section would actually showcase their world class talent and make spectating alot more fun.

But the powers that be no longer wants the track to decide the race. They seem to want the drag race to the finish.

Could you imagine how fun and exciting it would be to have a super brutal rock section right at the finish line? (with a "C" route for the lesser talented,which i put myself in this category) Then you woul dsee the true skill and riding talent of the best professional riders in the world.

Just sayin'

Edited by scesnick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×