Sign in to follow this  

New WR250f owner

Hi all,

Have lurked in these forums for the past 6 months; First time poster and new owner of a 2010 WR250F. So far seems like a really great forum for info.

Before this bike, I'd only had 2-wheel off-road experience with friends' play bikes and renting bashed-up wrecks whilst on holidays in 3rd world countried. Always wanted to get into the dirty-stuff, however have only been $$$-able recently!

I went back & forth between a 250 and 450 quite a bit, as I had it in my usually-thick head that I wanted as close to a one-size-fits-all bike and didn't want the obligation to upgrade or modify within 12-24 months (I'm 110kg / 240lb with gear) so was wondering if the 250 would be enough.

In the end I went with a 250 as I wanted to take the more challenging option of learning about momentum and clutch control. Not to mention I could just picture a 450 throwing my rookie-self off the track and into a tree, faster than I can currently react.

So far I'm really happy with it and even my uncorked (stock) bike is surprisingly peaky when revved a bit. Definitely feels tall, but very light and comfortably flickable. I think I will eventually move up to a bigger-bore bike down the track, however for the time-being this is more than enough performance for me!

Anyway look forward to shooting the sh*t with all of you about this very addictive & expensive (yet very, very fun) sport / hobby. Also if there are any others who are near my rider level in the Sydney, Australia area, I'm keen to come on some trail / track rides. I have mates who are into this sport however they're mostly complete nutters who do 10/10th's on trails!

Cheers.

You made a freat choice :-)

Welcome and enjoy!

I recently bought an 05 wr250f also, I've been asking tons of n00b questions about upgrades and performance. I've gotten lots of solid advice. You might want to cruise through some of my post/questions if your planning on doing mods.

Welcome. You will find a lot of knowledgeable people here. Watch out for Swede73 and DGcars. They will steal your wallet faster than a Melbourne street girl. :smirk:

Your bike is different than those in the US so not all the free mods apply. But many do. Your bike is way faster and better than you. Once you become proficient, you will really realize this fact.

Use the search function before you post a question as undoubtably, that same question has been asked 1,000 times already and I am sure a full write up with pictures was done by someone. But do ask if you cannot find your answer.

Congrats on the new WR :smirk:

The more I ride mine, the more I am of a mind it is just about the best bang for the buck and the most enjoyable bike I've ever owned.

From an ownership standpoint, cost and PITA factor are both way low compared to many.

thought I'd jump on the wagon too after being a lurker for a while.

Picked up an 02 WR250f a couple of weeks ago, got it pretty cheap as it wouldn't start.

new spark plug and away it went. Grey wire mod was the first thing on my list to do. (airbox already cleared) and I finally get to take it out for a spin on dirt this weekend.

Headed to The Parwan mx track on Sunday. (First time on dirt in about 13 years)

Thanks all :smirk:

Stoked it's coming up to the weekend so I can take the bike out - Given it's winter in the southern-hemisphere, it get's dark about 5:30pm; Well after I get home from work.

Not sure if this is a common thing for new owners, but even though I can't really ride the bike on weekdays, every night I still feel the need to go down to the garage and fire her up for a few minutes on the stand. Sucks for my housemate when I give a few flicks to the throttle at night, however I can't help myself.

To achieve proper sag (http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm) you'll need a heavier rear shock spring.

Based on 225 pound rider (estimated for 240 pound rider with gear)

REAR SHOCK SPRING

Recommended Rear Shock Spring Rate: 5.75 kg/mm (use closest available)

Stock Shock Spring Rate: 4.7 kg/mm (stock)

FRONT FORK SPRINGS

Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.488 kg/mm (use closest available)

Stock Fork Spring Rate: 0.449 kg/mm (stock)

Thanks all :smirk:

Stoked it's coming up to the weekend so I can take the bike out - Given it's winter in the southern-hemisphere, it get's dark about 5:30pm; Well after I get home from work.

Not sure if this is a common thing for new owners, but even though I can't really ride the bike on weekdays, every night I still feel the need to go down to the garage and fire her up for a few minutes on the stand. Sucks for my housemate when I give a few flicks to the throttle at night, however I can't help myself.

Yes it's very common!

I'll join in as well. I'm also a noob, and lurker.

Picked up an '05 WR250 about a month ago and finally got to really take it out last weekend. Loved every second of it. Definitely a bit different than the XR400 I've been riding since I picked this sport up about a year ago.

Yes it's very common!

dammit I've been doing the same thing every couple of days :$

glad I'm not the only one though, I've done the grey wire mod, but bought a switch today to out in line so I have a switchable mapping on the bike (not sure I'll ever use the WR timing again, but I'll try both on the weekend and see what I like.

Going to Panwar MX track near melbourne, might even have video to post next week.

dammit I've been doing the same thing every couple of days :$

glad I'm not the only one though, I've done the grey wire mod, but bought a switch today to out in line so I have a switchable mapping on the bike (not sure I'll ever use the WR timing again, but I'll try both on the weekend and see what I like.

Going to Panwar MX track near melbourne, might even have video to post next week.

Don't know if you know or not but you have to shut the bike off to switch timing. If you switch timing while the bike is running it won't switch over till you shut it off then start it back up

yeah I wouldn't be playing with electrical things while it's running (can only lead to issues) so wouldn't change the timing without it off anyways :ride:

when it comes time to rebuild though I'll probably just put in the YZ cam and take the switch out all together :lol:

To achieve proper sag (http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm) you'll need a heavier rear shock spring.

Based on 225 pound rider (estimated for 240 pound rider with gear)

REAR SHOCK SPRING

Recommended Rear Shock Spring Rate: 5.75 kg/mm (use closest available)

Stock Shock Spring Rate: 4.7 kg/mm (stock)

FRONT FORK SPRINGS

Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.488 kg/mm (use closest available)

Stock Fork Spring Rate: 0.449 kg/mm (stock)

Cheers YamaLink!

I'm 220lb now however anticipate dropping 10lbs once I start riding again. (FYI I carry a large camelbak!) Also I need to save a bit of $$$ before I can fund a re-spring job.

What sort've costs are fair? I've heard up to $800...

Hey, congrats. If you feel competent, consider the following mods:

I also bought an 08 WR brand new. $5k out the door - and I thought I was getting a deal! Which I did, but $3999 is insane.

I did the basic mods, meaning the AIS kit (take off the smog valve and block a couple of passages), a new pipe (recommend FMF Q4 or Lexx MX-E, I have the Lexx on my WR and my wife has the FMF on her bike, real impressed with the quality of the latter), the throttle stop screw, and the airbox snorkel. I also installed Devol rad guards, an MSR skid plate, and Acerbis aluminum barkbusters.

The difference is amazing! When I took the stock bike out it was kinda disappointing. I'm 6'0" 210# and the bike was working. After the mods the bike about leaps out my hands when I turn the throttle.

Stock the bike is so choked down because of California emissions. The throttle stop screw stops at 2/3 throttle, the airbox is all closed up and the exhaust is like f@rting out a straw!

Buy the AIS kit at the dealer. It's cheap and contains the parts necessary to remove the smog crap. Watch this video

, the video is for an 06 but the 08 is similar except they moved the smog valve to a slightly less easy location to remove. Also note there is a ground wire under the bolt holding the smog pipe onto the block, make sure you put the wire back or your bike won't work.

The kit also contains the shorter throttle stop screw, which is a pain to replace but a mini-ratcheting allen wrench works wonders. If you don't have one, use a regular allen wrench and use lots of patience. Here is a decent website - again from an older WR but the location is very similar. (The throttle cable cover is now metal).

http://micapeak.com/info/misc/throttle.html

I didn't do the grey wire mod because I don't need the motor timed aggressively, especially since I'll be riding up mountains here in the Rockies. Stock timing equals longevity.

Finally, my bike came with a note that it was jetted for sea level. Given that I live several thousand feet above that, I'm thinking the jetting may just work out okay for now, but I'll keep an eye on the plug to see if I'm right or if I need to go richer.

Good luck to you. Make sure you're competent to do these mods and if you do of course they're your choice - so your responsibility as well. Enjoy!

Hi All.

I recently bought a 2011 WR250F meant for the european market. My dealers tells me that I need to change the jetting for Malaysia's tropical climate. Is this true? How does it work?

There are no official dealers here and we only get the grey imports.

Probably would have to adjust the jetting on your bike. You are a lot warmer and more humid in Malaysia. Highly recommend a JD jetting kit. Instructions are great and the bike runs great