Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Alessis badly managed career

He had the speed, determination, factory rides, Roger DeCoster, trainers, semi trucks, many holeshots, the upbringing support, and The Dad. He had all the ingredients except for making the right career decisions. Mike, and I know you will read this thread: you pissed in too many peoples Wheaties and its all coming back to bite you. It wasnt meant to happen but it will be ok. Start lining up your next career and slow down to go faster.

I think there are a lot of other "top" pro's out there who are a lot worse off and you know who I am talking about. MA800 can win in the outdoors, he has proven it. And what do you mean by "had"? He still has all of those things and people around him that you mentioned. If he is healthy and on a 450, he is one of the best and one of the hardest to beat outdoors.

I don't get it...? :smirk::smirk:

You actually think Mike Alessi is gonna be lurking around on Thumpertalk and is gonna read this?

You actually think Mike Alessi is gonna be lurking around on Thumpertalk and is gonna read this?

You'd be surprised to see that most of the top riders are just normal guys with exceptional talent and determination. Here where I live (10 miles from the factory practice tracks, etc.), it's not unusual to see these guys out and about doing things like you and I do. I'm sure most of them lurk.

Mike's a good guy and has had plenty of oppurtunity... I don't know if mis-managed is appropriate really? Several factory rides and more bad luck than anything else IMO... there will always be a what could have been, but not everybody wins and history has plenty of guys like him. Sure would like for him to win though...

This is just my opinion but I think Mike and JS7 are suffering from the same problem, they both have fathers who controlled everything in their lives. Now that they have decided they want to have more control over their lives they are somewhat lost. Tony and Big James need to step back in and get these boys back on track.

This is just my opinion but I think Mike and JS7 are suffering from the same problem, they both have fathers who controlled everything in their lives. Now that they have decided they want to have more control over their lives they are somewhat lost. Tony and Big James need to step back in and get these boys back on track.

Both MA and JS are grown men. At some point, ya have to let the nads drop into the sack.

I think this is a competition to get the most hits in a given thread. Mike was on it, he work's for it, but had some bad luck.. Can't wait to see him ride yet this year.

I wouldn't be so hard on Mike. He strikes me as a good kid that tries hard. I will admit that it's very freaky that Tony talks like he is the one riding the bike when interviewed. Also, Tony was the ultimate "80 dad" that didn't make many friends at the track back in Mike and Jeff's amateur days. I feel for Mike there.

If Tony is the source of the motivation to be a champ, then it's never gonna work. Mike has to be the sole source of that. His dad can only enable him. I'm not sure either of them get that.

Both MA and JS are grown men. At some point, ya have to let the nads drop into the sack.

I agree, but apparently these two have some sacks that aren't fully developed yet.

He had the speed, determination, factory rides, Roger DeCoster, trainers, semi trucks, many holeshots, the upbringing support, and The Dad. He had all the ingredients except for making the right career decisions. Mike, and I know you will read this thread: you pissed in too many peoples Wheaties and its all coming back to bite you. It wasnt meant to happen but it will be ok. Start lining up your next career and slow down to go faster.

What brought on this rant???? Thought Mikes dad had stepped back a bit. Mike had the fastest qualifying time at Hangtown. He as won on the 350. And now he will be riding the 450. Im looking forward to him getting holeshots like he did back on the Suzuki not so long ago. Maybe I missed something. :smirk:

I think you bring up some very good points. Mike is very fast, fit and has tons of talent.. Personally, I think he has spent too much of his time racing with his Dad, and I think that hurts him, like JS and Big James... Everybody thinks they know how to run a team when they should just leave it to the professionals.

I'm new to following MX and SX, but I like MA. He is fast, very talented and seem to have great personality (albeit most people don't like his attitude). I hate to see him down on his luck/skill. IMO, he is still gun shy from the knee injury a few years ago.

I think his dad is just that, a sideline dad just like "that" parent at youth soccer/softball/football games. Reliving his youth through their kids...and yes I read Tony's interview and he seems to just GAS too much.

Hey, I thought the same thing of Tony, until I saw the Inside the Moto interview with MA. He said "My dad is misunderstood, I hired him to push me as I tend to not want to push my self". I can see that in my son too. Heck he won't get off the couch on a weekend if I don't say something. He is only 11 , but I can see some people need someone to push them. Look at Biggest Loser. You think if the gym and all the high dollar equipment was there, the contestants would lose almost 50% of their weight on their own ?

I talk briefly with Tony at Hangtown and even got his autograph (maybe I jinxed MA) , he asked about my son and shook his hand.

Stuff happens when you race at that level, a chain breaks, you run out of gas, the guy in front of you crashes and ends your season , you have a low speed crash and land wrong and you break your neck. That is why the perfect seasons are really something..

In a perfect world , the top 20 guys would be under contract, have no injuries or breakdowns and be seperated by 10 points going into the last race of the season....

I wouldn't characterize Mike's career as "badly managed." Despite acting like a spoiled child his first outdoor season, a string injuries, and mediocre performance otherwise (after the holeshot line that is), he has managed to land rides for both factory KTM and Suzuki. Sounds like a very well managed career for a rider that hasn't lived up to the hype from his amateur days.

He's a talented kid that obviously works hard. I'd guess his problems on the track are a mix of bad luck and in his head, not the "management" of his career.

He's a talented kid that obviously works hard. I'd guess his problems on the track are a mix of bad luck and in his head, not the "management" of his career.

EXACTLY!!:smirk: MA has just had a streak of bad luck and I dont think "management" has made his racing career worse. He is a hard worker and though he is not a SX gunslinger you put the kid on a 450 in the outdoors and he can stay on the bike then the rest better watch out.

Dont give the guy too hard of a time, the outdoor series still has a ways to go and let's wait and see if the #800 KTM rider will be standing on the box before the season ends.:smirk:

2nd that.. it is easy for us to bad month him while sitting on the couch.. He's running right up top!:smirk:

EXACTLY!!

Dont give the guy too hard of a time, the outdoor series still has a ways to go and let's wait and see if the #800 KTM rider will be standing on the box before the season ends.:smirk:

Unfortunately for Mike, his father has had more exposere then him. I was never an Alessi fan. When he got on the Suzuki I started pulling for him a little. When he went back to KTM I started pulling fun him more.

I bought a used bike last winter and the guy had one of those signs, from the nationals, where you marker in your own message to your favorite rider. The sign had Alessi messages on it. I asked about it and was told some pros were practicing during the week for the upcoming Southwick national. He had taken his young boys out to watch. They approached Mike and started conversing with him. He proceeded to sign everything they wanted, gave them some items, and make them fans for life that day. This got me thinking how I had judged Mike for what his father made them look like. When most people think of Mike, we think of him as Tony. Mike is Mike. He lives his life with Tony. Tony lives his life through Mike.

Has a hard wreck, ( he wasn't in control of btw.) Ama forces him to sit out 2 rounds and we get a silly thread about him. Watch, he will win a moto soon, he had the fastest lap at hangtown. And by a good margin if I remember. And I dont believe he was riding over his head, look how smooth Hansen is and he wrecked on a few occasions this year in sx. I'm saying wrecks happen to everyone.

Ouch!!!! I thought fosho this thread would/will banned and you get a warnining or something, at least I've said things somewhat along the lines with what you said and gotten in trouble, although I somewhat agree with you.