New DEP pipe, need opinion on rejet

Got my DEP pipe in and rode with it this past weekend. Love love love it..

However, I had to back out the air idle screw just about all the way, approx. 2 3/4 turns.

I live in Louisiana and it's hot/humid most of the time.

I have the stock pilot, 50 in right now. Would going to just a 48 be right or would a 45 be right considering I'm all the way out already?

However, I had to back out the air idle screw just about all the way, approx. 2 3/4 turns.

I have the stock pilot, 50 in right now. Would going to just a 48 be right or would a 45 be right considering I'm all the way out already?

Nice, which silencer you running? I've running the fmf shorty with mine. Need to do a little jetting as well but haven't gotten around to it. It's hot and humid here as well.

Using a PC Shorty.

Can def. get out of corners quicker and carry a gear a little longer. Although, that's the 1st ride with it.

I'll just get a 48 and 45 and go from there.

Just got back from riding... tried the 45.. still all the way out on the air screw. Have a lil bog (not really a true bog, just little throttle response, uncrisp) dead bottom to 1/8th.... needle #2 position, screams once get past 1/8th-1/4 throttle.

100 degrees, 75% humidity... 50' above sea level.

42, 40, 38?

Seems strange to do all of this because of moving from stock pipe to DEP pipe. Am I missing something else to look at?

Stock motor, head, reeds, etc. Only add is a powernow on intake side (has been there over a year).

The DEP probably creates a stronger intake pulse, making the bike run richer. I've had the same experience with FMF pipes. Combine that with the hot weather and you know what you get. Don't be afraid to keep experimenting with leaner pilots.

if it seems like its bogging its lean,unless you mean a stuttering bog..does it want to die when you start to roll on the gas? or just rev really slow

No it's not lean.

No other DEP pipe owners have had to reduce their pilot jet a whole bunch?

I'll get all the above jets and see if I can get some adjustment in the air idle screw and hopefully find some crispness off dead bottom.

Just in case someone else needs the info. The winner is.... pilot jet 38.

I am out 1 3/4 turns, plus an 1/8th....crisp and runs excellent.

BTW.. the main is a 165.

DEP is really nice with a real meaty mid and more over rev.. can def. carry a gear longer if need be.

• Like 1

Powernow def. helped with a crisper throttle response for me with the stock pipe. I didn't take it out when going to the DEP, so can't comment if it's better with/without when using the DEP.

As one of my 4 strokes friends told me after I got the jetting better....."my arms feel ripped apart".

• 7 months later...

Thought I should update this and should of a lot sooner as I wasn't as happy as I thought when I posted above.

So...after still having jetting problems after I thought I got it right on, I was still having problems left and right. Track after track I was all over the place and was asking others with the same bike what they were using. I was way way off from everyone else. I wasn't having much fun always worried about jetting and the bike not performing like it should.

After hunting season... I took it apart to redo the whole carb, clean, inspect, etc.

Come to find out, the stock needle that was in it had a very small bend (smush) at the very tip and the clip was on the 1st position, not the 2nd like I had thought and posted above.

I went to the MXA settings for a 2007. Ordered the 2007 needle N3EW. Put in a 175 main and a 48 pilot. Air screw is 1 3/4 out.

Fired it up.. and wow.. what a difference. No twing twing twing...but a deeper throatier sound.

Took it out last Saturday and am so happy now that it is dead on. I'm hoping it stays this good when the temps go severly up and hoping too, that just a few adjustments with the air screw keep it running like it has never run before. Gave me confidence in the turns and getting over jumps right out of turns.

Happy camper here.

By your twing twing twing sound Im guessing you were actually lean? Glad you got it figured out though.

Yes.. Very... Amazing how these bikes still run pretty good with the user make some dumb jetting choices. ?

For the DEP, went 45 pilot (from 50) to 172 main (from 178), N3EW needle at stock-setting.