break-in '11 crf450

i just bought a 2011 crf450. ive never been able to afford one untill now :smirk:. the salesmen at the dealer told me to ride at 3/4 throtle as much as possible for the first 10 hours. but the serivce manuel just says avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration for the first day. then another dealer told me to go down hill as much as possible with no throttle to create a lot of vacumm. i have no idea what to do.

Just got my 450r 2011 a few months ago :smirk:

Its the 1st one I have ever owned always had smokers LOL

I just did a few trail rides with the kids maybe at times 1/2 throtle in places then on my 2nd ride out was 3/4 or so.

Just last week I went to our motocross track and wow big diff from a 250cc to this tons of power and was smooth to ride.

The only thing was or it could be me was jumping I would cut off the gas and nose dive fast :prof: But after a few more rides that day I stayed on the gas a little longer and all was good off the jumps :smirk:

Used to ride and race about 10 yr ago so we are now just getting back into it but man what fun the bike is.

Ron.

thanks. ill take it for a little trail ride today. when did you do your first oil change? i had 2 strokes also. and im never getting rid of them

thanks. ill take it for a little trail ride today. when did you do your first oil change? i had 2 strokes also. and im never getting rid of them

I did my first oil after my track ride so I may have had 5 or 7 hr on the oil.

okay thanks. how about the transmission fluid?

I also did the clutch fix that the guys posted on the forums made a diff in the clutch.

I like to ride with two fingers on the pull and the bike would stall out if the clutch was not pulled back to the bar. As it would hit my other two fingers.

okay thanks. how about the transmission fluid?

Did it the same time I did the oil change. I used the honda oil was like a 10/40 I think. Used it in the transmission & motor side.

Here's a good video on how to do it or the just of it LOL

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/videos.do?videoId=96

Get an hour meter, it makes it much easier to figure out running times and oil changes. Extremely easy to install too and cheap.

10 running hours for a break in is a LOT of time.

I changed motor and gear oil + filter for the first two rides. Thank every other ride for the next two.

Now I do motor and tranny oil every two rides, filter every 4

I have only 7 actual running hours on the bike. (2 months later) All MX track though.

Perfect on the break in I think, I put 2 easy motos on the bike letting it cool completely down between rides (30-45 mins) and then rode it like I stole it. Bike has 60hrs and runs perfect as the day I bought it. I changed oil & filter after first 2hrs and now every 5-6 hrs and the air filter more than needed as well, it's too easy to do and the benefits of clean oil and air are huge. Also, keep a close eye on the oil level in between ride days due to the fact that they will burn or blow by a little bit. Everybody has there own opinion on the frequency of service intervals, but no one can argue the fact that the better maintenance you do on the bike the better it will run. Just ask the guys that spend half the day at the track wrenching instead of riding about their maintenance habits... LOL!

so i took it out finally. and if i give it to much gas to fast it just dies. if i roll onto it slow it will take off. and when i let off it has the loudest back fire ive ever heard. any ideas?? and its the hardest bike to start.

and i forgot to mention the kill switch no longer works.

Rode mine like I stole it.

so i took it out finally. and if i give it to much gas to fast it just dies. if i roll onto it slow it will take off. and when i let off it has the loudest back fire ive ever heard. any ideas?? and its the hardest bike to start.

1. The give it to much gas and dies problem sounds like its not warmed up, and not broken in. Mine was kinda funny when it was brand new like that too. Also try raising your idle a bit. That issue went away completely

2. Hard to start. - Your kicking the bike to fast and to hard, nice slow full kicks. Do NOT give it any throttle when kicking it. Do not touch the throttle until the light on the kill switch turns off after starting. The bike should start in 3 kicks or less. If its cool out, use the cold start.

and i forgot to mention the kill switch no longer works.

Huh? Did you drop it? The bike is brand new how did you break the kill switch?

let it run for about ten min. it never stops doing it. i dont touch the throttle. i figured out this morning the kill switch is routed around the steering dampner so when i turn left it pulls on it and ripped them apart.

let it run for about ten min. it never stops doing it. i dont touch the throttle. i figured out this morning the kill switch is routed around the steering dampner so when i turn left it pulls on it and ripped them apart.

Geez. I wonder if that was done by the dealer or at the factory. Im not sure what they look like when they come out of the crate.

its done at the dealer. just got off the phone with them. its my fault it ripped because i didnt inspect the bike before i rode it.

Edited by 65elcamin0
misspell
its done at the dealer. just got off the phone with them. its my fault it ripped because i didn't inspect the bike before i rode it.

Unfortunately, Ricky Wrench at the dealer is only worth the 8 bucks an hour they pay him for setup. So, you really need to bring home the brand new bike and tear it down to do it right.

I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying it is. :ride:

Did you fix the kill switch?

Change the fork oil asap too. The crap they send them out with is hideous. The book will tell you to put three moto hours on the fork oil and change it. 1 hour is too much on that shit if you ask me.

Use Maxima Racing 5wt.

My bike will start in about 2-3 kicks every time.

And yep I 2nd that no gas till the light gos out.

Sorry to hear about your kill button. When I got mine home at the same time I also got two 2009 crf 150r for my wife and daughter

I took all 3 of them apart to grease them up and my front Axle Nut was just hand tight :lol: and the two seat bolts were the same way on the 150r.

Well good luck with your new ride :ride:

Ron.