Sign in to follow this  

03 crf450r chain length? please read!!

i bought a 112 link chain for my 450 and am gonna have a 13t/53t sprocket combo. the stock chain was 112 link but it was really stretched and i had a 51t rear sprocket and the tire was adjusted the whole way back. the chain is on its way so thats why im asking. i was planning on goin to my local track to ride saturday but that might not happen if this doesnt fit. any feedback will be appreciated. thanks a billion

-Faxon-

i bought a 112 link chain for my 450 and am gonna have a 13t/53t sprocket combo. the stock chain was 112 link but it was really stretched and i had a 51t rear sprocket and the tire was adjusted the whole way back. the chain is on its way so thats why im asking. i was planning on goin to my local track to ride saturday but that might not happen if this doesnt fit. any feedback will be appreciated. thanks a billion

-Faxon-

The stock chain is 114 links. To handle a 53T sprocket, you are going to need a 116L chain.

I always buy 120L and cut it to fit.. saves a little headache when doing gearing changes. Plus a chain breaker is a necessity for any bike riders tool box :smirk:

The stock chain is 114 links. To handle a 53T sprocket, you are going to need a 116L chain.

:smirk::smirk::foul:wat if i just left my 51t sprocket on there?

+1 on the 120. I'd try to return it and get a full refund. I got a did 120 x ring chain and I've got 20+ hours on it. Zero stretch. Love it

Do not know if it helps or not but I installed a DID 520 X-RING Chain 520x116 on my crf 450r 2011 with the stock sprockets rear 49t front 13t I think. And with the 116 chain it puts the axle in the middle of the swingarm settings.

:prof::smirk::foul:wat if i just left my 51t sprocket on there?

you will need a chain stretcher..

JK :smirk:

and your new chain will wear out to the old sprocket, always replace as a set

thanks for the reply and all but i could care less about my sprocket. i ordered a new one and its here now. its a 53t and if it doesnt fit with the chain and my old one does im using the old one. im sol:bonk:

you will need a chain stretcher..

Is that like a tile stretcher :smirk:

located on the same isle in the store as a "tube of clearance" for when a head gets milled too much and the gasket isn't thick enough for adequate ptv clearance.. :smirk:

thanks for the reply and all but i could care less about my sprocket. i ordered a new one and its here now. its a 53t and if it doesnt fit with the chain and my old one does im using the old one. im sol:bonk:

using the old chain on a new sprocket is a fast way to need another sprocket. It kind of depends on how worn, and i have stacks of older sprockets i use on bikes when we need a different drive ratio.. but when the teeth begin to slope even a little, it gets replaced. Im a big fan of the steel sprockets for dirt/harescrambles. $20 is awesome as vortex cut back on rider support (used to get lots from them for roadracing). THey last a good while on roadrace bikes, as they just are not running near the hours, nor in horrible conditions like a dirt bike.. so aluminum sprockets last a good while on them.

located on the same isle in the store as a "tube of clearance" for when a head gets milled too much and the gasket isn't thick enough for adequate ptv clearance.. :smirk:

using the old chain on a new sprocket is a fast way to need another sprocket. It kind of depends on how worn, and i have stacks of older sprockets i use on bikes when we need a different drive ratio.. but when the teeth begin to slope even a little, it gets replaced. Im a big fan of the steel sprockets for dirt/harescrambles. $20 is awesome as vortex cut back on rider support (used to get lots from them for roadracing). THey last a good while on roadrace bikes, as they just are not running near the hours, nor in horrible conditions like a dirt bike.. so aluminum sprockets last a good while on them.

*new chain on old sprocket...not old chain on new sprocket

*new chain on old sprocket...not old chain on new sprocket

might as well call it an old chain after you use it on old sprockets

might as well call it an old chain after you use it on old sprockets

yup, chicken-egg, tomato-tomoto..

Would like to see a few PHOTOS of the old sprocket before we condem it to the recycle bin if he is on a major budget ? It has been a very long time since i had to really worry about $20 for a dirt bike, but can totally understand it can eat up every spare penny if not careful.

If I was you I would run the old set and send back the chain and get 120 link and cut to to size if you dont have a chain press you can grind the head off the rivet and drive it out with a punch

agree -

If I was you I would run the old set and send back the chain and get 120 link and cut to to size if you dont have a chain press you can grind the head off the rivet and drive it out with a punch

Back about 15yr ago I did the new chain and old sprockets :smirk:

Did not turn out to good and was a lesson learned the hard way.