Sign in to follow this  

My DRZ sounds bad... (video inside)

So here's where I'm at.

Last fall I started noticing this metallic tapping sound. I replaced the cam chain tension with the MCCT from the TT Store. I was constantly having to adjust it in, so I knew the chain was shot.

This past week, I tore everything down, replaced the chain, and built it back up. I also replaced the valve shims when I was inside the head. The exhaust side was a little tight. The chain issue has been relieved, but I'm still hearing this loud ass metallic clacking or tapping sound.

Now I know the DRZ is supposed to be a noisy machine, but this sounds like a little much. And this time I know it isn't the cam chain, because that has a totally different sound when it's rattling.

I did replace the exhaust (was previously a hollowed/chopped RS-3), and then started noticing the sound more. The new exhaust (RS-2 w/o the insert) is MUCH quieter, so maybe I'm just not used to the noise?

Anyway, here's there vid. Tell me what you think. And thanks for reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SsPdjtC6SY

Yes, that does not sound normal.

Did you do the primary and counter balancer locktite fixes when you did the cam chain?

Did you check for play in the crank while you had it apart?

Ever find any metallic bits on the oil or filter?

Yes, that does not sound normal.

Did you do the primary and counter balancer locktite fixes when you did the cam chain?

Did you check for play in the crank while you had it apart?

Ever find any metallic bits on the oil or filter?

I did do the locktite fixes. And they both seemed up to torque spec when I removed them. To be honest, I didn't check for play in the crank. I got in, replaced the chain and did the locktite fixes, and closed it back up.

I haven't ever seen metal anywhere in my oil or filter. I change my oil every 1500 miles or so, and it always seems clean to me...

1,500 mile intervals is too infrequent. Street only, 1,000 miles is max, off road, 1/2 to 1/4 of that.

It could also be the trans shaft retainer plate rubbinga against the clutch. It is not a serios issue, more of an annoyance. I have seen signs of it in every DRZ engine I have taken apart. P/N 30 in the picture.

59.gif

I'll make sure to change my oil more often.

If it is the clip rubbing the clutch, is there any way to resolve it? Or do you just go with it?

The sound is overall pretty loud. It's almost as audible as the exhaust when standing 15ft away.

i have the same sound coming from mine...it caused me to go into the head and check everything...i found all the shims were loose, fixed them and it still sounds loud...if it like mine your video doesnt do the sound justice....i put a stethiscope on it and its clearly comeing from the top around the exhaust cam...i just figure it the decompressor pin knocking

I don't know, i just purchased a 2003 E that is in excellent condition and it sounds almost identical. None of the loctite fixes have been done and it still has the ACCT installed however it only has 5000 miles on it and the PO was very meticulous about everything. Hell it was the cleanest bike out of a dozen or so i looked at, immaculate comes to mind. Well long story short all of the bikes i looked at had a similar noise and the 2003 i picked up was one of the quietest. However I just went out and videotaped the engine in the same areas as you and it was almost identical sounding. That being said the tick noise is almost inaudible over the muffler, at idle, from more than a couple feet away. So not sure if there is a problem but if so it appears that it could be damn near impossible to distinguish exactly what it was or if it was even a problem from a video.

Maybe it is nothing. I could just have post-build paranoia that I messed something up haha. I watched a few videos of DRZ's on YouTube, and they sound somewhat similar. I just feel like mine is extreme right now.

Your vid sounds like my DRZ, and mine has sounded like that since new. Every once in a while I think the noise is excessive but it keeps on running like a champ. Any time I've been in my motor everything looks good so I just try not to worry about it. Lol.

Sounds loud, but recording on a camera always does...

Almost sounds like valves to me

i have a 09E i bought it brand new and sounds identical to that.have had it back to dealer twice and they have pulled the top end to look for something and both times find nothing......they tell me just to keep riding it and there aint nothing wrong.

My Drz was loud when I bought it with 1500 miles. Now with 11000 miles I don't notice the noise anymore.

My Drz was loud when I bought it with 1500 miles. Now with 11000 miles I don't notice the noise anymore.

hey toad...is that because the noise has quietened down or because you have trained your ears not to hear it anymore?

mine sounds the same. Just keep an eye on you clearances and ride it.

These are the cams I have in right now. I got this bike used, and I wasn't told of anything upgraded other than the exhaust and jets.

If the sound was my valves, then these would have to be cams other than the stock SM ones.

5736244267_f89c78ab53_z.jpg

Can anyone tell if these are OEM?

If they are, then the valve clearances are in spec, so that wouldn't be the noise.

I have a brand new 2011 S. My bike sounds pretty much the same way. Maybe a tad bit quieter. Are you talking about the ticking sound of the cam chain? You guys are making me paranoid about my own bike... maybe i should film the it and post it on youtube lol

Well they are loud and noisey bikes.. as are almost modern singles.

Mine sounds almost the exact same way!! I have only had mine for 200 miles and it didn't seem to sound nearly as noisy when I got it, and now I feel like everyday it is getting worse! Are our bikes all dying or are we just listening too hard? haha I feel like I have been spending more time listening to my bike rather then riding it lately. But, it is new to me so I just don't know! Maybe Ill make another damn video...haha