Sign in to follow this  

why is it so hard to find a DRZ?

im new here but for my first bike i want a DRZ... preferably an SM but ill take an E model (what are the real differences between the two besides the rims/tires?).

i cant seem to find a DRZ anywhere, it seems impossible. I dont have all the money in the world to dump on one at the moment and actually want this as a project bike. so with that being said, i need an older one on the cheap. does anyone know where to get them? ive tired ebay, craigslist and cycle trader.

i love these bikes and have wanted one since about 5 years ago.

also, can the E model have the dual yoshi pipe installed on it (i think it is the most badass pipe EVER haha).

thanks guys and i apologize about the noobish questions.

patience patowan learner..,,when you are ready,and you understand your choices, the right drz will make itself available to you,,while waiting for your destiny to unfold,,please continue your training in the FAQ training center located at the top of the forum. There you will learn all that is needed to bond with the drz when it comes to you..Such as exhausts, tips, fixes, common questions, maintenance, etc. Do not forget to visualize and use your search functions..Help you with this,,we will..mmmhmm yees.

patience patowan learner..,,when you are ready,and you understand your choices, the right drz will make itself available to you,,while waiting for your destiny to unfold,,please continue your training in the FAQ training center located at the top of the forum. There you will learn all that is needed to bond with the drz when it comes to you..Such as exhausts, tips, fixes, common questions, maintenance, etc. Do not forget to visualize and use your search functions..Help you with this,,we will..mmmhmm yees.

well the FAQ helped with some basic questions (for once i get a bike) but they really didnt touch on the big differences (using the search there are apparently motor differences?).

i also couldnt find anything on where to actually find them. for a bike thats been in production for 10 years or so, they sure seem rare.

have you tried the surrounding states......im guessing being in NY state you have several states within reach for a good solid bike. check the listings of other close cities in harboring states

I was in the same predicament last month. Couldn't find an an SM anywhere. Just kept checking craigslist daily and within a couple of days they started popping up.

have you tried the surrounding states......im guessing being in NY state you have several states within reach for a good solid bike. check the listings of other close cities in harboring states

Yes I have, there should be like a specific classifieds for DRZ owners :smirk:

when i bought mine about a month or so ago, it was one of 2 on craigslist within 100 miles..now theres about 4 within 100 miles from me......patience and they will pop up just keep checkin craigslist..!!

i waited for 2 months for one to pop up and i live in cincinnati and gladly drove to columbus to get mine.

Try using " jaxed.com " to search all of craigslist in one search just go to the site mash and enter the filter info you desire ie. state region model ect. It also includes eBay results. Good luck Rick

Take your time.

They are so hard to find cause no one wants to get rid of them.

Also, if color/brand loyalty doesn't matter, look for 2003 KLX400 SR (DRZ400S) or R (DRZ400E). I got one. Same as a DRZ, just Kawi green.

I should have waited, but drove 180 miles for a KLX at $1800 I couldn't really complain--except for the 470 bucks so far in replacement parts lol :smirk:

But, when done, I'll have a bike for under 2500 bucks, and, hell, with the parts I'm doing it'll be in good shape to go a long time.

I would have waited for a better example now that I know what to look for on DRZ/KLX400 bikes. This forum will educate you FAST.

Question guys. Since finding an sm seems to be hard, what about just an S model. I checked in the FAQs and it says that the sm had a lower HP motor, lame. However the sm has slicks (which I want for street use only), but I can always add these on. Now does anyone know if exhausts for an sm will fit the s model? I actually found someone through my Suzuki dealer that has a dual set up for his sm that he'd sell me. If this bolts to the s model, this will greatly reduce the difficulty of finding an sm. Plus there are actually 2 s models for sale locally.

i think you may have read something wrong,from my understanding,S and sm have same motor same horsepower,,just different sproket size, geared differently, sm for street 15/41, lmany will drop to front 14t front to make it more torqy, some up it to a 16t..or change the rear. Exhaust fit s & sm ,,samr bike, except for inverted forks, tires and gearing i beleive thats all..

i think you may have read something wrong,from my understanding,S and sm have same motor same horsepower,,just different sproket size, geared differently, sm for street 15/41, lmany will drop to front 14t front to make it more torqy, some up it to a 16t..or change the rear. Exhaust fit s & sm ,,samr bike, except for inverted forks, tires and gearing i beleive thats all..

The SM also has like 1.5 inches less of overall suspension travel. If you get an S and want the 17" rims and slicks, you are looking at damn near $1k to convert (500 if lucky for wheels, a couple hundred more for front calipre relocation/wave rotor/tires, and 500+ for USD SM forks). You CAN get pretty street worthy tires on the 21" front and 18" rear of the S.

But, the SM is better to start with if that is what you want the S to be anyway.

Also I used bikefinds.com. Same principle as the other site mentioned. I drove 4 hours each way to get mine. So worth it though.

I had to drive 8 & 1/2 hours one way ( michigan to nashville) to get my drz sm. Truat me I know how you feal. I went through a lot of crap to get mine. this was a month ago when gas was over 4.00$. But 17 hours of driving later and over 500$ in gas it was all worth it.

Yes I have, there should be like a specific classifieds for DRZ owners :ride:

I found this site when I was looking for mine. I ended up buying new due to the $1,000 rebate they had for a while and the discounted pricing on the new2009's. This site was pretty good though.

http://www.bikefinds.com/suzuki-drz400-dual-sport-for-sale

Edited by oclv