roll-offs or tear-offs?

I have heard about the roll-offs that scott makes and was wondering how they work. also how do they compare to tear-offs?

EDIT!!!!

Tried tear offs and couldn't get used to them. Should give them another shot. Rolls never tried but more than likely won't work well with my helmet.

Edited by bentsprocket
Done being smart ass

tear offs= trash on trails (or track) and often, time wasted fumbling trying to grab one. If you really need them, go with roll offs, the pull cord is always in the same spot so it is easy to find while in motion and you are only looking through 1 layer of film instead of 6 so the clarity is slightly better. just my $.02

tear off are now bio degradable, but personally i like tear off just kz its a clean goggle not just a clean strip.

I too prefer tear offs. If you go with tear offs, the only place to buy them is cheaptearoffs.com They sell 50 tearoffs for only $12. Everyone else sells them in packs of 12 for $8-$14

MAX!!!

I've tried both and prefer tears off when i'm racing and roll offs when i'm practing switch lenses and your ready to go.

I like roll-offs for racing in the woods. Sometimes you'll go 40+ miles before you get a chance to swap to fresh goggles, such as in an enduro. With harescrambles, if you have several pair of goggles and don't mind stopping every lap, then tear-offs work OK. If you're riding MX, then tear-offs are fine too. If I'm out play riding, I usually don't even bother with tear-offs, I'll just stop and clean my goggles as needed.

Racing MX......Tear offs work great because it gives your googles a full clear vision....I do use roll offs in mud races....only because in mud races sometimes tear offs will get water and dirt between them.....So with the roll offs...I just pull the string till the googles are clear.......

but do roll offs work well in an mx race that is not muddy. Also which ones will be cheaper in the long run?

but do roll offs work well in an mx race that is not muddy. Also which ones will be cheaper in the long run?

IMHO, tear-offs are a better choice for MX unless it's a real mud race.

I too prefer tear offs. If you go with tear offs, the only place to buy them is cheaptearoffs.com They sell 50 tearoffs for only $12. Everyone else sells them in packs of 12 for $8-$14

MAX!!!

I have used cheaptearoffs.com and well thier name says it all.. For what ever reason every set they send me the area where the pull tabs meet the part where it covers the less is serrated. the break off and end up pulling three or 4 tearoffs just to get them off leaving entire gogle filled of tear offs with no way to get them off with out removing the goggles and prying them off.... Figure the ratio of 1 good tear off for every 10 that don't work. Ends up costing about the same.. Go with the new laminated style tear offs and you wont have to worry about water/dust getting inbetween them..

I also have roll offs but only on real wet muddy days do I bust them out.

If they didn't serrate the damn pull tabs they would be just fine.. by the way I've ordered them for smith, scott, & oakleys its not one brand specific they do..

I have used cheaptearoffs.com and well thier name says it all.. For what ever reason every set they send me the area where the pull tabs meet the part where it covers the less is serrated. the break off and end up pulling three or 4 tearoffs just to get them off leaving entire gogle filled of tear offs with no way to get them off with out removing the goggles and prying them off.... Figure the ratio of 1 good tear off for every 10 that don't work. Ends up costing about the same.. Go with the new laminated style tear offs and you wont have to worry about water/dust getting inbetween them..

I also have roll offs but only on real wet muddy days do I bust them out.

If they didn't serrate the damn pull tabs they would be just fine.. by the way I've ordered them for smith, scott, & oakleys its not one brand specific they do..

Yup, you are correct, that really pisses me off. I just rip a thin piece of tape and tape that serrated area, no more issue.

MAX!!!

but will roll offs work in a regular dry race?

but will roll offs work in a regular dry race?

Yes, they work fine in a dry race.

Its hard to beat tear offs from the goggle mfg......Once I tried some tear offs from Pit Posse.....they were junk....they did not fit the googles very good.....I guess its like the old saying..."get what you pay for"........

Tear offs any time for me, I like a full clear lens over a clear strip.

I mostly use roll-off, but tearoffs provide a better view as they clear the entire lens instead of just a strip.:ride:

I'm weighting the pros and cons of tear vs. roll offs for enduro play. I'm leaning toward the roll system but have a concern. Riding through puddles and in rain, doesn't water get between the layer of film and the goggles making it impossible to see (especially with muddy water)?

I like tear-offs but in off-road, in many off-road clubs they won't allow them because they litter the trail up. The first time running with roll-offs is kinda like running with blinders on. You get used to them after a bit though. Only real problem I have with tear-offs is you do run out, with roll offs you can run out but in a moto I haven't yet.