Sign in to follow this  

Rebuild time. Do i have my ducks in a row?

So it has come time for me to bite the bullet and do a full rebuild on my 2002.

My list to buy so far is (all OEM)

2004 piston, pin, rings, and c clips

cam chain and guides

crank, bearings, and seals

gasket kit A

gasket kit B - $565

manual cam chain tensioner - $50

complete head from big bore thumpers - $550

i will also need a flywheel puller and 27mm socket from what i hear

i have some clutch plates sitting in my garage that i will throw in as well.

is there anything else i should get?

yep. don't skimp on the beer!

I would imagine he is refering to the needle bearing in the piston which sometimes is included in the piston kit if not its no biggie to order.. :smirk: Its a small needle bearing setup.

i have a snap on digital torque wrench, clymer manual, shim kit, oil, filters, and beer. i didnt think about the exhaust gasket, i was assuming the new cylinder would come with one. ill have to check with bigborethumpers on that one.

there is no needle bearing in the 450 as far as i know.

hey nick, do you guys price match service honda's prices? i would rather give you guys the business but i cant afford any higher cost than this is coming out to already.

there is no needle bearing in the 450 as far as i know.

Hence my questioning.... Four stroke small rod ends are not roller bearings, they are plane bearings (I think that plane is spelled right..)

It always seems like matter how much stuff you get together before you start you will almost always come across something you forgot.

Steve

It always seems like matter how much stuff you get together before you start you will almost always come across something you forgot.

Steve

And hope you can get to the dealer before they close :smirk:

I would imagine he is refering to the needle bearing in the piston which sometimes is included in the piston kit if not its no biggie to order.. :smirk: Its a small needle bearing setup.
Hence my questioning.... Four stroke small rod ends are not roller bearings, they are plane bearings (I think that plane is spelled right..)

Yup, four-strokes do not use needle bearings in the small end of the rod. They use Plain/Plane/Friction/Journal bearings.

should i go with the 08 or 06 style head? i use this bike for everything from going flat out in the dunes to MX track to tight technical trails.

i think the 08 has a smaller combustion chamber so it will have a bit higher compression ratio and make a bit more power. correct?

i like power. ive been riding my cr500 since my 450 has been waiting for a rebuild. ridability isnt a huge concern for me, im not looking for lower laptimes.

Im gettin ready to do almost the exact rebuild. All OEM....piston, crank, gaskets, bearings, ect. Im also going with the BBT head. Race ported is a few hundred more, but very well worth it if your wanting big power gains!

Im gettin ready to do almost the exact rebuild. All OEM....piston, crank, gaskets, bearings, ect. Im also going with the BBT head. Race ported is a few hundred more, but very well worth it if your wanting big power gains!

as much as i like power, ill have to skip on the race porting due to cost. its already hurting throwing $1300 into the engine of a bike that isnt worth much more than that. :smirk:

also, if anyone has any general engine building tips that would be great. ive never torn into an engine like this so any tips help. one thing i know is to turn the rings so the gaps are perpendicular to the stroke of the rod. anything else like that i should know?

Thanks for clarifying on the wrist pin guys. I had no idea on that one. Just threw it out there. Why wouldn't you wanna do race porting? I have an 03 and to me that bike is priceless because it's MY bike. Not the banks, not my dads, mine. I have dumped over 2,xxx into since I got it last year and plan on doin the same this winter.

because there are other things i need to pay for like rent, gas, insurance, and food.

i placed my parts order last night. now i just need to decide which head i want to get

Edited by joman2055

Yup, four-strokes do not use needle bearings in the small end of the rod. They use Plain/Plane/Friction/Journal bearings.

2 strokes 4 strokes :smirk: My last bike was a smoker so bear with me lol..

should i go with the 08 or 06 style head? i use this bike for everything from going flat out in the dunes to MX track to tight technical trails.

i think the 08 has a smaller combustion chamber so it will have a bit higher compression ratio and make a bit more power. correct?

i like power. ive been riding my cr500 since my 450 has been waiting for a rebuild. ridability isnt a huge concern for me, im not looking for lower laptimes.

the 08 crf450 head has smaller exhaust valves than the older models. I put the 08 head with SS intake valves onto my 05 450r. it lost about 1000 RPM off the top end and about 10 km./h off top speed because of the heavier SS intakes.