Sign in to follow this  

MeSSed RM250

got a 1982 rm250 have not had many 2 strokes bought this 2 weeks ago for 300 bucks it starts and was riding like new after i did some work to it (not much)

the bike accelerates but at a certain point in kinda just revs. Im wondering if to much oil could cause problems like this cause it was fine when i rode it then on the next ride it was having trouble.

so i go away for may long weekend change my gear oil spark plug fresh gas and this thing was running excellent. come back from the ride put bike away.

go for another ride now the bike is blowing quite a bit of smoke and past a certain rpm it will stop making torque and power to the wheel. it will start driving and then just stop making power. it wont idle i put a liter of Bel Ray gear saver in came back from like a ten minute ride and nothing left in the crank case. i love this bike fell in love with the power and need to fix it lol i only got on ride.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED THANKS.

i put a liter of Bel Ray gear saver in came back from like a ten minute ride and nothing left in the crank case.

Unless the drain plug is leakin, seals are old and givin out? I'm sure someone will come along and say "that is X seal on X side, blah blah technical blah" :smirk:

Revving without power is usually your clutch gone out, worn fiber plates for sure. Your whole motor needs a good going over for bad seals and bearings.

Revving without power is usually your clutch gone out, worn fiber plates for sure. Your whole motor needs a good going over for bad seals and bearings.

i believe the clutch is alright at least it was yeah motor needs some work definitely hard problem to diagnose

Find where the oil is leaking from and repair the gasket. Clutch could be slipping once it gets into the power band. (My YZ did that. Worked ok until you jumped on it) Mixed the oil and gas at correct/same ratio? Check the plug to get an idea if it is jetted correct, but it may be due for a top end if you don't know when it was replaced last.

Find where the oil is leaking from and repair the gasket. Clutch could be slipping once it gets into the power band. (My YZ did that. Worked ok until you jumped on it) Mixed the oil and gas at correct/same ratio? Check the plug to get an idea if it is jetted correct, but it may be due for a top end if you don't know when it was replaced last.

when your yz did it. would it ride still like you could put around but as soon as you tried to crack the throttle it would just rev>? i beleive its the clutch now after riding it yesterday

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO WOULD SELL A REPLACEMENT CLUCTH OR CLUTCH PARTS FOR A 82 RM250

Yes. that's what my YZ did. If you can't find a clutch, try heavier springs if you can find them. If not, you could try putting washers under the head of the spring bolts but make sure they don't interfere with the clutch pressure plate. I got heavier springs for my YZ and it fixed the problem.

if you put the gear saver in and came back with nothign thats a problem for sure.

Check for leaks. fill it up and let it sit overnight see if its leaking.

If not i believe its the left side crank seals are bad.

Correct me if I am wrong. I am relaying info i have been told. goodluck.

Lets see:

Smoke

Tranny fluid disappearing

No power...

Comon' guys... it's crank seals!! :ride:

It's an old bike. Plus, it's new to you. If it were mine I would at the very least replace the top end and crank seals. While you're doing that work you should start a list of other items to replace:

Air filter new and fresh/clean?

Chain and sprockets looking worn?

Tires have square knobbies?

Spokes all make a tone when tapped with a small wrench?

Any wiggle on wheel and steering bearings?

Cables lubed?

Brakes look and feel good?

Every bolt and nut tight?

Check every frame weld for cracks?

These are just the basics. You should plan on spending some serious time

going thru that bike over and over.

My bike is a 2000 and I consider that pretty old. I spend about equal time working on it as I do riding it.

i remember an old dirt bike mag article saying in a pinch you could put spark plug or other type of washer between the spring and the bolt.

i remember an old dirt bike mag article saying in a pinch you could put spark plug or other type of washer between the spring and the bolt.

I always say if you are going to do something do it right the first time.

k this bike is a sh*t disturber pulled clutch out thing is messed 2 FIBER disks are broken no fiber on any of them got replacement parts bike worked crazy nice fast ran really good. but now of course cuase i only got 1 more ride . So now i have 2 rides on it and another problem. my clutch cable is just seized like wont move. its got slack it in when you pull the slack it gets tight and then wount budge. the lever that connects to your clutch cable into your motor wont move either

GETTIN SUPER FRUSTRATED SOMEONE HELP PLEASE.

get yourself a manual, your mechanical skills need work

I am a heavy duty mechanic inter provincially certified as well. haha don't talk bout my skills i can do anything mechanical i just figure there is a whole internet site of guys with 30+ years of experience with these two strokes maybe someone might have had the same problem. but thanks for your help stinkyfinger:thumbsup:

get a new cable?

if youre a heavy duty mechanic im sure you can problem solve. riight?