Sign in to follow this  

First Dual Sport and GPS

I'm planning to ride in a couple Dual sport events in Big Bear and have a couple questions about the GPS info they provide? I've never downloaded info like this and I would like to practice with a sample. I have a Garmin 60 csx that I've used for hiking, but never used it on my motorcycle.

Is there a place to download similar event maps so I can practice and see what they're like? I would like to get used to it before the ride so I'm not figuring it out on the trail.

Any other tips would be appreciated that others have found useful while riding.

Thank you!

The 60 series is a great unit, one of the most popular for motorcycle riding.

gpsxchange.com has all kinds of routes and tracks for downloading.

Also, search ADV Rider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502468&highlight=bear+tracks

Left click on the attached files in those posts and save. Upload to your unit and play around.

I got the file downloaded to my computer and then to my GPS, but the file shows on the SD card and I can't open it. I read on a GPS forum that the file has to be on the GPS and not the actual SD card, but I don't know how to switch the file from one to the other? I read through the manual and can't figure it out. Some help would be appreciated.

This is why I'm trying this now and not at the start of the event!!

Thank you!

The unit can't read tracks/routes off the SD card, so you don't load them to the unit that way. You have to have Mapsource on your computer, do you?

Open the file in Mapsource. That will let you actually look at the track/route. Then to get it onto the unit to use, connect the unit to the computer with a USB cable and turn it on, at the top of the screen in Mapsource click on the "upload to unit" icon. Follow instructions from there. Mapsource searches for your unit being connected, finds it and uploads the file.

Then in your units menu, go to either track or routes, whichever you uploaded, and look for the file. Select it and choose navigate.

The unit can't read tracks/routes off the SD card, so you don't load them to the unit that way. You have to have Mapsource on your computer, do you?

Open the file in Mapsource. That will let you actually look at the track/route. Then to get it onto the unit to use, connect the unit to the computer with a USB cable and turn it on, at the top of the screen in Mapsource click on the "upload to unit" icon. Follow instructions from there. Mapsource searches for your unit being connected, finds it and uploads the file.

Then in your units menu, go to either track or routes, whichever you uploaded, and look for the file. Select it and choose navigate.

Thank you. I played with it for a while last night and got most of it wOrking right. Is there a way to overlay the track over the map showing all the roads. I have to topo map program that shows big bear when I log tracks but not when I open the saved track. Other than that it works great! Can't wait to ride with it. Thank you.

What mapset(s) do you have on your Garmin 60? If all you have on your GPS is the base map that it came it with, that mapset only shows major roads and highways. It's practically useless. You'll need to buy Garmins City Nav NT on DVD, install that mapset on the GPS using the Mapsource program.

Is the topo mapset you speak of on your GPS or your computer? What topo mapset is it, Garmin or some other?

Lots of good info for learning all this in the Stickeys here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

I'm planning to ride in a couple Dual sport events in Big Bear and have a couple questions about the GPS info they provide? I've never downloaded info like this and I would like to practice with a sample.

The club (BBTR) will download the tracks to your 60 for you. Having a map set (City Nav or Roads & Rec) like mentioned above is helpfull but not necessary. You can still tell if you are on the track or made a wrong turn.

You must also have a Roll Chart holder, there is much information on the roll chart that can not show on a GPS.

What mapset(s) do you have on your Garmin 60? If all you have on your GPS is the base map that it came it with, that mapset only shows major roads and highways. It's practically useless. You'll need to buy Garmins City Nav NT on DVD, install that mapset on the GPS using the Mapsource program.

Is the topo mapset you speak of on your GPS or your computer? What topo mapset is it, Garmin or some other?

Lots of good info for learning all this in the Stickeys here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

I have the Garmin topo with Basecamp (Western States). I played with it for a while last night and figured out a lot of cool things like making routes, overlaying them in google to see where they go and then downloading them to the 60. I always look for trails on google earth, so this is perfect for me.

The only problem was when I downloaded the Big Bear trails, non of the roads or Garmin topo map appeared. Is there a setting I'm missing or should the topo map be there when I open a track? When I made a trail in Basecamp near Lake Morena and downloaded it, the topo appeared.

Thanks for everone's help! I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I'm planning to ride in a couple Dual sport events in Big Bear and have a couple questions about the GPS info they provide? I've never downloaded info like this and I would like to practice with a sample.

The club (BBTR) will download the tracks to your 60 for you. Having a map set (City Nav or Roads & Rec) like mentioned above is helpfull but not necessary. You can still tell if you are on the track or made a wrong turn.

You must also have a Roll Chart holder, there is much information on the roll chart that can not show on a GPS.

I'm planning to order a Roll Chart this week. Just trying to figure out which model people like best.

Thank you!

The only problem was when I downloaded the Big Bear trails, non of the roads or Garmin topo map appeared. Is there a setting I'm missing or should the topo map be there when I open a track? When I made a trail in Basecamp near Lake Morena and downloaded it, the topo appeared.

Thanks for everone's help! I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Maybe Countdown knows, but I think I remember reading a post on another forum that it may be Basecamp not playing well with .gpx and .gdb files that were made/saved by a different program like Mapsource.

I think you would be much better off getting to know and use Garmin Mapsource if you're going to be getting into GPS aided travel/dualsporting, making your own tracks/routes and using those from others.

I'm planning to order a Roll Chart this week. Just trying to figure out which model people like best. Thank you!

I assume you really mean order a Roll Chart Holder?

You may be suprised but I prefer the Countdown brand! It is the only one with slots in the spindles to load the chart without nay tape.

Your 60 comes with a Base map (sith just main roads), any other map set must be downloaded. Most people use City Nav, I like the old Roads & Rec if you can find a copy on e-bay. Very few people use Topo there are way too many lines on the small screen. Many of us have topo on our PC, also downloaded in GPS but seldom turn it on.

I use Mapsource, not Base Camp. When you download maps, it erases all existing ones so that may have been your problem. Pick all the area you think you will ride in the next year and download those map sections.

Also learn to use Tracks not Routes. Tracks are for off road, Routes are for highway.

I assume you really mean order a Roll Chart Holder?

You may be suprised but I prefer the Countdown brand! It is the only one with slots in the spindles to load the chart without nay tape.

Your assumption is correct. I like the Countdown one, but where can I order it? All the sites I went to said unavailable? I'm assuming it's the MSR Countdown?

Thank you!

Your 60 comes with a Base map (sith just main roads), any other map set must be downloaded. Most people use City Nav, I like the old Roads & Rec if you can find a copy on e-bay. Very few people use Topo there are way too many lines on the small screen. Many of us have topo on our PC, also downloaded in GPS but seldom turn it on.

I use Mapsource, not Base Camp. When you download maps, it erases all existing ones so that may have been your problem. Pick all the area you think you will ride in the next year and download those map sections.

Also learn to use Tracks not Routes. Tracks are for off road, Routes are for highway.

I don't have a problem using mapsource. That's actually what I used the first time, but couldn't get the google earth feature to work. It wanted me to upgrade google earth? I started playing with Basecamp and it worked with Google. Other than that, they seem similar.

I'll go back in and download maps from Mapsource. I know I had most of Southern CA in there at one time, but maybe it got erased like you mentioned.

Thanks for the tip on using tracks.

You can't already have a mapset(like Topo) on your GPS unit and then add another mapset(like City Nav) to it. Any subsequent upload to the unit of maps overwrites anything that's already on there. So you have to know what you want to put on it and select the map tiles of the areas you want of both mapsets and upload it all at once.

And if it hasn't been said already, if you are going to get City Nav, don't just download it from Garmin, get the DVD so you'll have it from now on. If you don't have the DVD and something happens to the mapset on the unit, you'll have to download it again from Garmin, which you may or may not have to pay for again.

And your misuse of terminology makes things confusing. When you send data from the computer to the GPS unit, that is "uploading". Receiving data from the unit to the computer is "downloading".

You don't need the full paid version of Google Earth for it to work with Mapsource. You can download the newest free version and it works fine with Mapsource.

You can't already have a mapset(like Topo) on your GPS unit and then add another mapset(like City Nav) to it. Any subsequent upload to the unit of maps overwrites anything that's already on there. So you have to know what you want to put on it and select the map tiles of the areas you want of both mapsets and upload it all at once.

And your misuse of terminology makes things confusing. When you send data from the computer to the GPS unit, that is "uploading". Receiving data from the unit to the computer is "downloading".

You don't need the full paid version of Google Earth for it to work with Mapsource. You can download the newest free version and it works fine with Mapsource.

I will just stick with topo for now. To clarify, if you upload (thanks for clarifying the terminology) a track, it should still overlay on the topo map...right? Uploading tracks or routes doesn't delete the topo each time does it? I'm assuming you are just referring to a mapset and not actual tracks and routes. I've played with it a lot at my house, but I need to get out and ride to get a better feel for it.

I'm sure I'll have more questions after I ride with it.

I'll try it again with google and mapsource.

Your assumption is correct. I like the Countdown one, but where can I order it? All the sites I went to said unavailable? I'm assuming it's the MSR Countdown? Thank you!

Tucker Rocky quit distributing it (never was MSR, they just had me put that header card on package) but they may have a few, have your dealer check.

Flanders Co distributes them and sells retail.

I consider the GPS to be a lower tier unit than the PC and the Internet to be a higher tier and the PC. I therefore refer to sending it data to GPS as Downloading, and getting from the internet as downloading.

Mapsource Icon is a DOWN arrow to send data to GPS, Nat Geo Topo uses a DOWN arrow to send data to GPS. I think you have it backwards.

When I worked on Spacestation it was really confusing, we called it DOWNLOADING when we sent data 200 miles up into space. Somehow the spacestation was the center of their world.

To clarify, if you upload a track, it should still overlay on the topo map...right? Uploading tracks or routes doesn't delete the topo each time does it? .

Nothing to do with each other.

If you DOWNLOAD tracks, and they are turned on, they will appear on the Map Page period.

You can also choose which maps (that you have installed) you want displalyed on the map page. Only one shows and there is a fixed order of which map wins when two are turned on.