Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

"In-between" bike advice, CRF230 or KX100?

Havent been on here in awhile, but looking to get another bike and would like some advice on what's worked for you girls.

That being said, I'm 5'7'' ish, 30-31"ish inseam and I weight entirely too much. Hint more then 150lbs :smirk:

Anyway, I blew the bottom end on my 93 KX125, and instead of fixing it, I'd like to get another bike. But..... I'd like to downgrade for awhile. I'm simply not ready to control a 125 in tight woods. I've owned a '90 YZ80 (too short, grew two inches that year), '01 KE100(wanted a bigger road legal bike), '86 DR200(Still have TOO HEAVY) and now, my '93 KX125(Too much bike for now).

I ride mostly trails, and while my 125 rode great in feilds and electric line roads, it is way too much for me in the woods. I've not had enough general experience to ride a bike this big or fast. I spent last summer in the dirt pretty much and hitting trees.

So that, coupled with the fact that my boyfriend says "no full sized bikes until you can get through a ride without crashing" (then he mumbles something about being worth more alive than dead, and something about future children?) and a budget of around $1200-1500, I want a good transition bike, something I can have fun on so I can comfortably move up.

I'm looking at CRF230s and KX100s.

I know I will need to mod a little for my height and weight.

And before you suggest a wr250f or crf250x, which I would love, or a KDX, they are temporarly out of the equation becuase part of the money is from the boyfriend and he balks at the size of them. (I would also like to get him on two wheels eventually instead of four, so he would learn on it too. He's about 5'8" and 145lbish?)

So, pretty much, what is Thumpette opinion on a good bike to bomb around the woods and build a little skill before moving up? Have any of you girls had a good expirence on an "inbetween" confidence booster? Am I overlooking any bikes? What bikes have you girls had, what works, what doesnt, how aobut mods?

Thanks in advance, I'd really like to get back on two wheels. I don't want to let an old souped up KX get me down, riding is too much fun!

pyrofreak, I don't have an experience with a KX100, but I'm thinking it might be too small (short) and underpowered for you??

I have an '06 CRF230 (and the smaller '03 CRF150). I love that 230! I'm only 5'3" so quite a bit shorter than you and also weigh entirely too much (increase that 150 by about 33%). I'm not a very aggressive rider (mostly trails) so the somewhat soft suspension on the 230 isn't a huge problem. I'd like to upgrade it someday, maybe.

My riding is trails, no tight single track though, although a 90-degree (wide) turn is common. The 230 feels pretty nimble and manueverable to me. After riding it a couple of years, I started contemplating a different, more powerful bike, but ultimately decided I couldn't handle it, mostly due to seat height. So armed with info found on this forum, I had my husband re-jet the 230 to give it more power. He also reworked the throttle to make it much tighter, more like a 1/4-turn now.

Sounds like your woods riding might be tighter than my trail riding, but with the low-geared 4-stroke 230, it's easier to go slower (particularly if you're behind that slow boyfriend on the quad!).

I'm not sure how much your budget will get you. I found my CRF230 on eBay in 2008 and it was a 2006, bought new in 2007 and barely ridden. It was primo! I think I paid $2300 for it.

Do you want tractor type power or top end type power?

The 230 is a 4 stroke and well most 4 strokes are like a tractor when climbing hills as it has more bottom end and the 2 strokes take more momentum and rider finesse to climb. Then add coming down the hill you have engine breaking on the 4 stroke to help keep your speed in check were as the 2 stroke it's rider finesse once again.

On the plus side the 2 stroke will be lighter and easy to throw around but the 4 stroke will have the MAGIC button :prof:

So it all depends on what and were you plan to ride :smirk:

If at all possible try and ride the bikes your thinking about as that will help you decide on what fits best for you :smirk:

Yamaha ttr 230 or honda crf230, they are both 3/4 size bikes with great low end power, electric start and soft trail oriented suspension. As long as you don't jump these bikes they will be fine for you. They are not meant for mx but will run with 250's on fire roads and open fields. These bikes are heavier than mx bikes but because of the lower seat height, the weight doesn't seem that noticable, to me anyway.

The kx100 is too small in my opinion. I'm 5'4" with a 29.5" inseam and it was way too small for me, felt all cramped up on it, foot peg to seat height was too small & too short of a wheelbase IMO to manage obstacles in the woods.

I don't know much about the other bike you mentioned, but if it is a full size bike I'd go that route. I ride a kdx200 now, and after one late summer/fall season on it, it now feels a bit "small" to me. I just hopped on my hubby's xr400 the other day. Other than not being able to reach the ground, I fit it fine and found it actually fun to ride. If I were your height, I can only dream, I'd be riding around on that xr400 in a heartbeat! So, it would be my opinion you will fair far better on a full-size bike.

I went through searching for a bike last summer, it was worth it to be patient, do some research and sit on various bikes for fit. Best wishes on finding your "new to you" bike.

I'd go with the CRF if you want a confidence booster. 4 strokes are more mellow and forgiving, I think. Plus Hondas are bulletproof, even if they completely lack character (but then, IMHO, so do Kawasakis-no offence to anyone) :smirk:

Did you see the CRF230 currently for sale on here for $1500? I don't know where it's located though, but sounds like a clean little bike.

I am the same as you. 5'7" and 30" in seam. Weight...well..just at 150.

1I have a TTR230 with magic button. I fit this bike great. I mainly trail ride this bike but have raced with it in the past. Low maint. They are heavier than a 125 but you get used to it. I find that I don't drop the TTR230 as much as my yz. 230 has managable power. Good Luck.

KX100 by a mile. Fun light weight manageable power. The 230F is not suitable for anything but riding in flat grass or going to the porta potties. My wife owned one for two weeks loaded it up from the dealership took it riding twice and sold it .

KDX 200/220.:ride: Very manageable power and forgiving. Usually plenty of used ones around at reasonable pricesand you don't need to get a really late model. I love my 1986 200 almost as much as my 2003 220.

I was just looking @ crf230s today but after reading some of the comments I'm confused too!

KDX 200/220.:ride: Very manageable power and forgiving. Usually plenty of used ones around at reasonable pricesand you don't need to get a really late model. I love my 1986 200 almost as much as my 2003 220.

I highly agree with this statement :lol: KDX200 is a great easy bike to ride and does most everything very well :lol:

My wife had a crf150f and she liked it, but complained it was very heavy (220lbs). I found a great deal on a kx100 and brought that home for her to try. She loves the kx!!! Not only is it 60 lbs. Lighter, but it has way more power and the suspension is so nice, she rides all day with us without any complaints. The one suggestion I would have if you chose the kx100 route would be to add a flywheel weight. It make the machine easier to ride with far less stalling and an easier 2-stroke hit.

I am sure either way you will be happy, but if weight concerns you, the kx is the way to go.

KX100 by a mile. Fun light weight manageable power. The 230F is not suitable for anything but riding in flat grass or going to the porta potties. My wife owned one for two weeks loaded it up from the dealership took it riding twice and sold it .

Well evidently the CRF230 didn't fit your wife's riding style but it definitely fits mine....and that includes way more than riding in flat grass (which I never do) or going to the porta potties (actually there is a prota potty located along my favorite trail system, lol). So while it's not good for your wife, maybe some comments about WHY it didn't suit her would be more valuable in this situation.

Edited by CRF150Woman
just a minor typo....

Gruberyz, I see from another thread that while your wife may have owned a CRF230, she doesn't ride a KX100 and instead has a CRF150, albeit the CRF150RB. Didn't take your advice? lol.

She races a CRF150RB. She trail rides a KX100 and looks like will be going to the KX100 for racing also as we have the CRF150RB up for sale. The CRF230 is an abomination. The poster who mentioned the KDX200 is very much right in what a superior machine it is to the CRF230. The CRF230 is a portly unsuspended beast of a machine that harkens back to days gone by in the sixties. Who would put someone they carred about on a machine that weighs more than a 450F yet has brakes more suited for an XR80? If you want to experince a CRF230 buy a KTM 200 and wear a hundred pound weight on your back.:ride:

She races a CRF150RB. She trail rides a KX100 and looks like will be going to the KX100 for racing also as we have the CRF150RB up for sale. The CRF230 is an abomination. The poster who mentioned the KDX200 is very much right in what a superior machine it is to the CRF230. The CRF230 is a portly unsuspended beast of a machine that harkens back to days gone by in the sixties. Who would put someone they carred about on a machine that weighs more than a 450F yet has brakes more suited for an XR80? If you want to experince a CRF230 buy a KTM 200 and wear a hundred pound weight on your back.:ride:

Gotcha, didn't realize your wife rode both types of bikes.

Oh well, you have your opinion, I have mine.

My daughter is 5-3, and had run out of bike (not size, but power, handling, etc) on her TTR125L. This spring I bought a KX100 for her, and made it a KDX.

Started out with a really clean bike, added a 12 oz Flywheel weight from Steahly, which took it from a pipey, hard power delivery MX bike to a luggable woods bike. I'm 210 lbs, and I can ride the thing at idle now without it bogging or dieing.

Then I tossed the stock bars in favor of ProTaper Woods Hi, and cut them down to 29", added Cycra ProBends and a solution mount, Medium grips, and an IMS 2.4 gallon tank.

Fabbed up my own radiator brace/guard since there are none available commercially. Essentially some 1/4" plate aluminum that's drilled for airflow and bent up like a Flatlands brace.

The bike already had an FMF fatty pipe, and I added an FMF Q to keep it USFS legal on sound and spark suppression. Probably going to add a DB Snorkel to bring it down a little more (I like the "be seen and not heard" approach).

She complained that the gearing and speed was too much in the tighter stuff, so I went up 3 on the rear sprocket and down 1 on the front, and now instead of screaming in 1st or lugging in 2nd, she can ride mid-range in 2nd in most single track.

This bike is perfect for her, light, nimble, agile, modern hydraulic disc brakes on both wheels, functional suspension, and not only handles the tight single track, but can still stand up and bark when things open up and keep up with the big bikes.

My wife raced a CRF150F for two years she loved the tractor like engine. However the weight and low ground clerance were issues. When she went to the CRF150RB she had so much trouble keeping the bike from stalling as the 150F is virtually a tank at low speeds. Once we got the flywheel weight and she got use to using the clutch much more it was no comparission as the CRF150R just outshines the 150F in every department except how long the chain lasts. Her stint on a CRF230 was all bad just endless scenarios in which she could not pick it up in corners or dumped over in rock piles. Lost 800.00 on selling it two weeks after buying it and fiqured it was a cheap lesson in physics