Sign in to follow this  

94 CR250 question, idle related

Ok, so my bike has never been fond of idling and I'm determined to figure it out.

It runs fine, pulls hard, great compression with only like 10 hours on a fresh top end.

It idles fine with the choke on, but only with the choke on.

Am i correct that a plugged pilot may be the culprit? Choke tower maybe?

If so, I've never messed with the jets, so I'm not sure which one it is.

I pulled the carb apart about 6 months ago, gave it a gas bath over night, but never fooled with the jets.

I have no idea what jets I'm running or where I am on the needle. Obviously you guys can tell me more once I figure that out.

My biggest issues is a stripped float boal screw head. Have not found the time/energy to figure out how it get it out.

Thanks for your thought y'all.

And we are on the same page about the choke knob being the idle adjustment, right? Not an "idle screw" somewhere else on the carb. If it works when choked, turning the knob to adjust the idle, theoretically, should work.

yeah. same unit. but turning it has no effect. air screw is 1.5 out.

What happens when you mess with the air screw? Could be a pilot jet issue. If it was the choke tower, I don't think it would work when you choked it either.

The choke knob is the idle adjustment on the pj carb. Turn it all the way down(clockwise) this will be high idle. Start bike and adjust idle where you want it.(counterclockwise)

The choke knob is the idle adjustment on the pj carb. Turn it all the way down(clockwise) this will be high idle. Start bike and adjust idle where you want it.(counterclockwise)

We already covered this and the OP has stated that it didn't change anything.

It does sound alot like a plugged pilot jet. I would remove the carb...clean it with a good solvent or have it cleaned with a ultra sonic cleaner...and then blow compressed air through all the passages. I have used a bread tie wire to clean pilots after heating them up with a bic lighter(take care and not burn yourself....:smirk:....but many times they need replacing.

Pilot jet is my guess. Just buy a can of carb cleaner from autozone and a can of compressed air.

My 91 cr250 will idle all day.

Ok, so I pulled the carb apart fully (first time removing jets and whatnot)

Here is what I found.

Needle on 3rd clip, 178 and 55.

Put everything back together after a good cleaning, and this is what I got.

How do you guys think it sounds? It FINALLY idles. However, I dont think its quite right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jusUA9KJai8

Hard to tell (though I it sounds awesome when you rev it!), but it might be a idling a little high. The idle adjustment knob should work now though. :ride:

I'll bet you notice that it seems to run a little better too now that the carb is all clean! :lol: