XR250L for short person?

I'm looking at dual purpose bikes and have found what seems like a good deal on a '91 xr250l. My question only being 5'4" will I have problems with everyday riding? I had a 07 cbr600rr and had no problems with it but I've never been on a dual sport or dirt bike bigger than a 125 that I was real comfortable with.

if you think is too high for you you can get lowering links that can do the job for you, otherwise you can shorten cut/weld back a bit of the shock link piece so you can lower it that way if the lowering link is too expensive or not available

. My question only being 5'4" will I have problems with everyday riding?

Before you start playing with lowering the suspension, try cutting down the seat. I have an XR400 and cutting down the seat made it possible to ride without falling over all the time :ride:

It's easy to do. Pull the staples out of the seat cover, peel it off and cut the foam with a hacksaw blade or electric knife (think thanksgiving turkey). I cut mine down about 1 1/2 inches. When you have it where you want it, take the seat to an auto upholstery shop and have them smooth out the foam and restaple the cover.

Here's a picture:

IMG_0140.jpg

I did this one myself, including restapling the cover. A decent upholstery shop will do a much better job.

Edited by blackadder
if you think is too high for you you can get lowering links that can do the job for you, otherwise you can shorten cut/weld back a bit of the shock link piece so you can lower it that way if the lowering link is too expensive or not available

Pretty sure the lowering links are longer not shorter. I wouldn't shorten or lengthen one myself, they're extremely high stressed pieces.

Pretty sure the lowering links are longer not shorter. I wouldn't shorten or lengthen one myself, they're extremely high stressed pieces.

You are totally right, lowering links DO ARE longer. but I guess, my post its been misunderstood, I didnt mean the rod/link that attaches the arm system to the chassis (18 on picture) I meant the piece that links the shock to the pro link arm system:thumbsup::ride:

3284_REAR%20SHOCK%20ABSORBER.gif

About welding, :lol: I welded an extension in my bike to make it taller and its been fine, I do look at it once in a few while looking for cracks or anything just in case. 2 things: 1 I don't jump:smirk:, 2nd this piece was steal not aluminium as in most XRs

If you haven't bought it yet, you might want to look at a CRF230L Honda, or maybe a Yamaha XT225. Others may have to confirm this but I think they have a shorter seat heights than the XR250L. Tippy-Toeing my XR250L at a stop sign ain't too bad. You get used to it.

XT225s are much lower and very reliable too.

Thanks for the replys guys. Price and the fact it was a honda were major selling points for me. I have looked at the crf230l and would certainly go for one if they were a bit cheaper. Unfortunantly the bike I was going after was sold before I got a chance to snag it. Thanks!

...only being 5'4" will I have problems with everyday riding? ...

does 5'4" tell us anything about your leg length?

riding experience (beginners seem to have an urge to flatfoot)?

strength (kick starting on toes)?

I am 5'6 1/2"

and have no, absolutely no problem with my XR650R

guess what?

if you lower a bike you change the geometry

in most cases a bad thing

I would only do that if all else fails