Sign in to follow this  

What air filter do you use...and why?

What air filter do you prefer and why?

Do you ever use filter skins?

I use a TwinAir with a Flo single element on top of that. Some say that's overkill, but I've never had any dust get past this setup. The single elements allow dirt to get thru. Use a good filter specific, sticky oil, like Bel-Ray, use filter grease on the seal lip. With this setup, you will not have to clean it as often unless you are in dusty conditions.

Twin Air, filter skin and BelRay.

Twin Air because I found them cheap, filter skin because they seem to work, and the BelRay because I have two gallons of it.

A big +1 to Ron's suggestion about filter grease.

Clean with mineral spirits, let it air out a bit and bag it. I carry two spares when I race, usually just one when out riding for fun.

When I race two days, I always swap to the new filter for the second day. I've never had to change one when out just riding for fun.

Maybe overkill, but it seems to work for me.

Flo Filter with Flo Foam Filterskin on top of that and No-Toil.

When you buy a Flo filter, they come with 2 foam filterskins, and like others have said, they do seem to work and extend the cleaning interval of the main filter.

I always have the spare Filterskin oiled and ready to go in a zip-loc baggy. Whenever I go camping, I make sure to oil and bring along the OEM filter too, in addition to the extra Filterskin, just in case it's really dusty.

No toil because it was on sale. Use pantyhose as a filter skin. It gets bad, just peel it off and put a new, oiled one on and go

I've been using twin air for about 3 years now and I have never seen dust past the filter in my old yz 250, my brothers yz250 and my new 2010 450. They are truly good filters for filtration if properly oiled. I always use maxima FFT and saturate it, then squeeze out the excess so that every square inch is inbedded with oil.

I always check my air boots and particle screens and have never seen dirt pass.

For performance, I can't say, didn't notice a huge difference from stock.

I've been using the same Twin-Air since 09' and its still holding up.

Ive been using PJ1 (red) filter oil because I have a can left of it from my last bike and PJ1 filter cleaner.

I will be switching to Bel-Ray oil and grease (for the edges) whenever I get around to going to my local shop.

:smirk:

Has anyone compared OEM to aftermarket? (apart from cost, that is)

cant tell if your trolling....

:smirk:

twin air in both mt yz's. with yamalube. i hate yamalube and i refuse to run it in my engine but its air filter oil is actualy good. for my 2 bike's, i have 5 filters, 2 stock and 3 twin airs. i can notice a slight difference in the twin air, very slight, not enough to give it more power or more response as such, just makes it feel i little crisper if you know what i mean

oem, twinair, notoil, readyfilter I rotate them out and store in big ziplocks

Flo Filter with Flo Foam Filterskin on top of that and No-Toil.

When you buy a Flo filter, they come with 2 foam filterskins, and like others have said, they do seem to work and extend the cleaning interval of the main filter.

I always have the spare Filterskin oiled and ready to go in a zip-loc baggy. Whenever I go camping, I make sure to oil and bring along the OEM filter too, in addition to the extra Filterskin, just in case it's really dusty.

Same for me!

If you have access to cleaning solvents, the Maxima FFT is the best ,IMO, filter oil out there. It is as tacky as the Bel Ray blue, but is thinner and you can use much less during oiling. Negative: you need a solvent to clean it.

No Toil is a decent plan B if you have no access to solvents. Negatives: No Toil is expensive ( the No Toil system) and, IMO, doesn't do nearly as good of job attracting dirt when the filter is near capacity of dirt. I've no scientific proof, but I've used No Toil extensively a few years back and was seeing tiny amounts of fine dust in my air boot during excessively dusty riding days. Never with BelRay nor the FFT. Also, when cleaning the filters, there always is far more dirt in the bottom of the parts washer with FFT than ever with the No Toil.

They all work, but some work better than others.

Uni or Twin Air with PJ1 or Bel-Ray (whatever I have on hand), marine grease on the lip. Filter skin if I know it's sandy or uber dusty; usually I don't bother.

Twin Air filters with Maxima FFT oil.

The FFT oil is definitely some quality oil but a pain in the butt to remove.

Sort of, but not in a real TEST mode, just by using different brands according who had what brand when i need one at the track. Have ALWAYS used No-Toil filter oil, rim grease and cleaner. Started off with a Twin Air filter, really nice and holds up well, in it's 3rd season of use and still looks new. Picked up a no-toil filter one day, but didn't really love it. Seemed kinda thin and flimsy. Have a Yamaha OEM on his 08 yz250f and started out fine, but the 2 layers seems to have come apart. filter hasn't ripped, but the inner layer and outer layer seem to have delaminated. Still using the Twin Air regularly, but waiting to see this NEW Maxima Pro filter. Looked nice in the ad. Will have to see. What is trolling by the way?

FAQ - Trolling....Don't know why he thought that???