Bottoming!

I have a 2006 KXF450, and after hitting the larger jumps finally, the bike is bottoming. Front and rear. I actually put a hole in the muffler where it hit the caliper.....

I have the rear shock set to the stock settings. And the front, I run the clickers in all the way, and then out 6. The manual says 12, but I kept going in to try and help.

If I use a the mx tech.com spring rate, it says for a 210 pound rider, the stock springs are what I need. That doesn't make a lick of sense. Any help?

I will follow the manual and check the oil, but if I have the fork/shocks off. I might as well put the right springs in...

The mx-tech spring generator use your weight IN riding gear to calculate your recommended rate. Add in your mx gear weight and the spring rate will make more sense.

you have to go stiffer on the kxf than STD , I am 150 and I could get good sag readings on a 07 model , what's your sag readings

I know other guys who are 200 pounds that didn't go stiffer though, which is the weird part. Never set the sag yet, as the front is bottoming as well. I'll have to check the springs that are on it. Are they stamped on the springs in the fork and on the rear shock? Also, would the 2007-2008 fork springs work on my 2006?

Checked the sag, was 63.5 on the stand and 50 with me and the gear on it.

So that is 13.5 cm of sag. Which means I have to compress the spring more. Which will make the bottoming worst on the rear shock will it not?

it will improve bottoming and cornering lots , but set it to 103mm and see what the free sag is , bet it's about 15mm which means you need a stiffer spring my chart says STD forks springs are ok but you need a 5.9 rear spring

it will improve bottoming and cornering lots , but set it to 103mm and see what the free sag is , bet it's about 15mm which means you need a stiffer spring my chart says STD forks springs are ok but you need a 5.9 rear spring

I got it to 110, and didn't check the free/static sag. Ran out of time. I was doing it alone, so i'll re-check when the wife can help me. What about my front fork? How easily should they bottom? Geuss i'll have to change the oil and see whats up

Edited by Themitch

they should bottom lightly each lap , no clunk , if it bottoms with fresh oil and you can add a little oil to help bottoming you need to consider valving, the 06 was a funny fork I seem to remember , like a 05 yz

The manual shows me the adjustments on the shock, but i'm not sure what they do. I have the clicker on the linkage, which is the dampening. Then the high speed and slow speed on the side of the shock. Which one causes which effect/result? Also, is there a way to check the hydrogen in the tank?