Sign in to follow this  

2001 stock DRZ400E high altitude

Sorry i've searched over and over.

I plan on riding above 10,000...Engineer pass, Pearl Pass etc. Taking two bikes

my DRZ bone stock and need to know what set up for high altitude

and my son's 2006 Honda CRF150F (bone stock too)

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

your going to have to get a jet kit ithink to change the set up..higher temps have less oxygen,considering stock drz are jeeted lean to begin with ,,i think you should be fine,,but i'm not the xpert,,scratch that its an e with an fcr i imagine,,,someone else will have to help ya

Get jetting specs from eddie for your setup! I ran my Texas jetting that he specs and it did awesome in CO. Did 13,840 ft over Cinnamon pass with no issues or jetting changes and spent many days well over 5k with no issues. Eddie is the last word when it comes to jetting! Fwiw I only used oem jets and needles and havent felt like I made any compromises.

Get jetting specs from eddie for your setup! I ran my Texas jetting that he specs and it did awesome in CO. Did 13,840 ft over Cinnamon pass with no issues or jetting changes and spent many days well over 5k with no issues. Eddie is the last word when it comes to jetting! Fwiw I only used oem jets and needles and havent felt like I made any compromises.

What jetting are you running and with what mods?

What jetting are you running and with what mods?

At the time of my CO trip I was running a stock E header with a White Bros R4 slipon and a Raptor insert (foots mod) with a otherwise stock E motor. For jetting it was:

MJ 160

PJ 45

Needle DXP clip 5 (may have been 4...cant remember but it was what ever Eddie suggested)

AP was timed to about 1.75 secs using a collar on AP rod

CE was still installed as was the TPS

Currently I am running a much different setup and haven't been back up to altitude to see how it goes. I carried a 150 and 142 MJ just in case for my CO ride but never felt like I needed it. DRZ did awesome!

Sorry i've searched over and over.

I plan on riding above 10,000...Engineer pass, Pearl Pass etc. Taking two bikes

my DRZ bone stock and need to know what set up for high altitude

and my son's 2006 Honda CRF150F (bone stock too)

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What altitude will you mostly be riding at?

Follow the suggestions posted here from Eddie Sisneros and you should be fine.

I have two DRZ 400s, one is a 2001 kicker that I let my buddy ride and the other is a 2008 S-Model that is lowered an inch and a half that I ride.

Since I live in Colorado, I had Eddie set my Kicker's carb up for 8-12 k feet (I live at 8200 and regularly ride from my cabin -- which is at 10,100) and have had it as high as 13,000 feet (Mosquito Pass) and it runs just fine. My S-model is bone stock...not even so much as the 3x3 mod to the airbox.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to arrange to meet Eddie with your bikes in Denver and get him to tweek both carbs at the same time. You should probably have a day at Denver's intermediate altitude anyway, before going above 10k and risking altitude sickness. Believe me - you DO NOT want to just start strenuous exercise without acclimation. Once you've had altitude sickness, you'll never forget it.