Sign in to follow this  

What Bike?

Hello,

I am an intermediate rider with some off road racing experience. My question is what bike any one out there would recommend for me to just enjoy riding hard on the trail. I like to do some mild jumping and I believe in a good suspension. My problem is that I am vertically challanged. I have had a KLX 450, WR 250 and loved the power and feel but hated the reach of the seat. Is there a real good short stature bike with a good suspension? Engine size is not an issue if it is kept under 75 mph! Please help with serious advice. Thank you.

Trials bikes have pretty low seat heights.ha. Good suspension and low just don't equate. Get a bike with linkage and install a linkage lowering kit, then have your suspension done with minimal travel. Low bars and slide the forks up in the triple clamps, low profile tires, ect. Every inch you bring the bike down feels like you are losing 10 lbs off the weight. Then take some growth hormone.:ride:

Lowering kits really screw up the suspension. Set your sags properly. Back in the Early 80s bikes were actually taller. Back then one of the top National riders was Johnny Martin, Can Ams star rider. He was 5'2" and had one leg shorter than the other.

I think that Gas Gas bikes are supposed to be suitable for smaller riders, not sure but worth a look.

i think you would benefit from a lowering link.

i have a crf250x and am 5'7" when i first got the bike i thought about getting a lowering link for it...ive had it for about 4 months now and dont really notice that the bikes a little to tall for me

An XR250 ('96 or later) with revalved/resprung suspension and a big bore kit is surprisingly quick, is super reliable and lots of fun.

The KTM 200xc is sweet bike and its smaller than the 250/300 plus the suspension is set up stiff so it could handle the jumps.

KLX300. You'll need to mod it up quite a bit, but the basic bike geometry and size fits what you're looking for. Easy cheap mods to increase the power, then swap on a set of KX forks and have the suspension set up. Nice low seat height without lowering the bike.

if i was going to buy a trail bike i would buy a KTM 200 or 300 XC for being a two stroke they have the power of the four strokes and the ride is great.

Lowering kits really screw up the suspension. Set your sags properly. Back in the Early 80s bikes were actually taller. Back then one of the top National riders was Johnny Martin, Can Ams star rider. He was 5'2" and had one leg shorter than the other.

+1:thumbsup:

So true. You just have to do some practicing to get used to higher bike if you are shorter. Lowering links are mostly a waste of time and money IMO, since like you say, the suspension and handling are not the same. So what if you have to slide your foot across the seat to get on, you are going to get dirt on your butt anyway...:ride:

Edited by Chaconne
fix comma & spelling

shaving the seat is a great way to go, i am 5'9" and have a 32" inseam. i still like to shave the seat, makes life better in everyway, here is my CRF250R with about 2 inches taken off the seat: IMG_0477.jpg

shaving the seat is a great way to go, i am 5'9" and have a 32" inseam. i still like to shave the seat, makes life better in everyway, here is my CRF250R with about 2 inches taken off the seat: IMG_0477.jpg

I am shorter than you and the height does not bother me but maybe I am just used to it.

On another note that is a nice looking bike 4 sure looks like you did a good job on the seat, I have seen some ugly hacks on seats but yours looks good. :ride: