Another wiseco success story...

This winter I completely rebuilt the motor of my 06 RM250 (replaced every bearing, gasket, and seal- eric gorr rebuilt the crank with OEM parts, Powerseal usa stripped and replated the cylinder. Everything was OEM... except for a wiseco piston. And guess what failed... 6.3 hours on the bike and both rings sucked right in and a little piece broke off the top of the piston and the cylinder is now scored. It happened tonight at practice and on the first lap I could tell something was wrong... the bike had no power and would not idle and just didnt sound right. I couldnt find the problem.. the plug looked nice so I went out for another lap... it ran like absolute crap I nursed it back to my truck and right before I got there it started making a noise like piston slap maybe. I shut it off and removed the pipe to look at the piston and thats when I realized the rings collapsed. I dont even know what would cause this... im not running lean, everythings new, I warm the bike up properly, im mixing 100 and 93 50-50 and running supertechniplate at 32:1 This is not another wiseco hate thread I know many of you run these pistons with no problems but I had two of these pistons collapse rings last year and then this happend...

Man that sucks!

Heres my story:

I bought an 03 RM 250 last year. I went against common sense saying to pull the top end and inspect. Well, I fought jetting issues for a couple months and a rattling noise I mistook for detonation. I finally tore apart the top end to find the piston was completely wore out. Wiseco with over 8 thousanths clearance. That is twice what is recomended by Suzuki so I figured Wiseco must be a bada$$ piston even though I had issues with them before. Went out and replaced it with another Wiseco, rode and raced for a few months on it. In the meantime, I installed a fresh Wiseco in my 01 RM 250. Now I wish I hadnt. My 03 seized and broke a ring roaching my cylinder, luckily it was gonna be due for replating soon anyway. I talked with a good friend of mine from Bill's Pipes who was responsible for all the mods on the 125's for Team Suzuki Motocross from the late 90's to mid 2000's. He has knowledge. He stated my 250 wouldnt have seized the way it did if I were running an OEM piston. The Wiseco forged piston was the culprit, And the fact I wasnt running enough octane which would've only burned a hole in the top of an OEM rather than total carnage. I wish I had listened to him the first time when he said not to run any piston other than OEM if possible(big bore kits, ect... would be the exceptions). I know Wiseco offers up good products and some people have had excelent luck with them, but my luck is falling short these days now since I have roached lots of motors running Wisecos on vintage bikes and my moderns now too. I am not a hater, I just wont use them unless it is the best possible choice(like if OEM doesnt exist anymore).

This winter I completely rebuilt the motor of my 06 RM250 (replaced every bearing, gasket, and seal- eric gorr rebuilt the crank with OEM parts, Powerseal usa stripped and replated the cylinder. Everything was OEM... except for a wiseco piston. And guess what failed... 6.3 hours on the bike and both rings sucked right in and a little piece broke off the top of the piston and the cylinder is now scored. It happened tonight at practice and on the first lap I could tell something was wrong... the bike had no power and would not idle and just didnt sound right. I couldnt find the problem.. the plug looked nice so I went out for another lap... it ran like absolute crap I nursed it back to my truck and right before I got there it started making a noise like piston slap maybe. I shut it off and removed the pipe to look at the piston and thats when I realized the rings collapsed. I dont even know what would cause this... im not running lean, everythings new, I warm the bike up properly, im mixing 100 and 93 50-50 and running supertechniplate at 32:1 This is not another wiseco hate thread I know many of you run these pistons with no problems but I had two of these pistons collapse rings last year and then this happend...

2 things: It was the cylinders fault, or a defective Wiseco piston. Did you send the parts into Wiseco for inspection last time? These parts dont just fail for no reason.

Man that sucks!

Heres my story:

I bought an 03 RM 250 last year. I went against common sense saying to pull the top end and inspect. Well, I fought jetting issues for a couple months and a rattling noise I mistook for detonation. I finally tore apart the top end to find the piston was completely wore out. Wiseco with over 8 thousanths clearance. That is twice what is recomended by Suzuki so I figured Wiseco must be a bada$$ piston even though I had issues with them before. Went out and replaced it with another Wiseco, rode and raced for a few months on it. In the meantime, I installed a fresh Wiseco in my 01 RM 250. Now I wish I hadnt. My 03 seized and broke a ring roaching my cylinder, luckily it was gonna be due for replating soon anyway. I talked with a good friend of mine from Bill's Pipes who was responsible for all the mods on the 125's for Team Suzuki Motocross from the late 90's to mid 2000's. He has knowledge. He stated my 250 wouldnt have seized the way it did if I were running an OEM piston. The Wiseco forged piston was the culprit, And the fact I wasnt running enough octane which would've only burned a hole in the top of an OEM rather than total carnage. I wish I had listened to him the first time when he said not to run any piston other than OEM if possible(big bore kits, ect... would be the exceptions). I know Wiseco offers up good products and some people have had excelent luck with them, but my luck is falling short these days now since I have roached lots of motors running Wisecos on vintage bikes and my moderns now too. I am not a hater, I just wont use them unless it is the best possible choice(like if OEM doesnt exist anymore).

This is so stupid

2 things: It was the cylinders fault, or a defective Wiseco piston. Did you send the parts into Wiseco for inspection last time? These parts dont just fail for no reason.

No I did not... I still have them so maybe I will send them pictures or the pistons if they request it. I will put some pictures on here later tonight when I get home. Your thinking maybe tight tolerances between the cylinder and piston may have caused this? I never checked.. powerseal does good work so I just trusted it was right.

It's possible that you could have bent a ring when the cylinder was sliding on. Hell, I have did it myself.

It's possible that you could have bent a ring when the cylinder was sliding on. Hell, I have did it myself.

I doubt it I took my time and the piston went into the jug real smooth actually so I dont think thats the case... That and this is the third wiseco piston to collapse a ring.

Did you check your ring end gap before installing the piston? thats the most important part...