Sign in to follow this  

So you wanna ride a WR off road... eat your Wheaties (video)

Here's a video of a WR rider in the woods.

He has a little mishap on the course.

A little bruised up, but the bike suffered no damage.

This is a rider who was racing one of the Texas circuit cross country races. One of my riding buddies heard about the get off from the folks who own the place where the race was held.

It was found the crash happened because the rear brake was gone, as in no rear brake when he stepped on the pedal.

Have any of you ever experienced any issues with the rear brake on a WR fading to the point of failure (all of a sudden) ?

As the story goes, the brake was fine after the crash, but, the bike had sit for a bit while the guy was on the ground.

The rider said he had one low side in a corner about ½ mile previous. The bike didn't die, he just picked up and kept going.

Any chance any air got into the brake line ?

Here's a video of a WR rider in the woods.

He has a little mishap on the course.

A little bruised up, but the bike suffered no damage.

This is a rider who was racing one of the Texas circuit cross country races. One of my riding buddies heard about the get off from the folks who own the place where the race was held.

It was found the crash happened because the rear brake was gone, as in no rear brake when he stepped on the pedal.

Have any of you ever experienced any issues with the rear brake on a WR fading to the point of failure (all of a sudden) ?

As the story goes, the brake was fine after the crash, but, the bike had sit for a bit while the guy was on the ground.

The rider said he had one low side in a corner about ½ mile previous. The bike didn't die, he just picked up and kept going.

Any chance any air got into the brake line ?

Nope, just trying to cover his mistake up :smirk:

Looks like your front lifted up a tad there causing you to run into the tree.

Looking at those trees in the video I would have said you were riding in africa or australia, but your in texas! Didn't know they had trees like that :smirk:

For the record... officially... that video is NOT of me.

My crashes last a lot longer because I'm a lot slower :smirk:

I haven't raced that course, but after looking at it, I will soon. Parts of the loop are pretty technical, and a couple of sections are just plain nasty, but there is a lot of soft sand over hard pack like shown in the video. Rumor has it just about everyone that rides there lays it down their first couple of times riding. The sandy top soil over the hard pack is deceptively loose in some places.

That my friend is the standard WR/YZ Aluminum frame front end push.

Tell your friend to get used to hitting tons of trees

That my friend is the standard WR/YZ Aluminum frame front end push.

Tell your friend to get used to hitting tons of trees

Really ?

Can you expand on that a little ?

Are WR and YZ's known to have a design flaw ?

Really ?

Can you expand on that a little ?

Are WR and YZ's known to have a design flaw ?

Yes, they have a big flaw provided you don't setup suspension/sag/and have a good front tire. :ride:

Yes, they have a big flaw provided you don't setup suspension/sag/and have a good front tire. :lol:

Sag at 100, suspension setup by a pro who does it full time for a living, setup for my weight/ability/terrain (he rides the same areas that I ride regularly) and the front tire is new :ride:

Front is .48 6/6 Rear 5.6-12 smooth as silk

Seems to me he was going a bit too fast for his skills and hit a tree. I was out last weekend and was going really good. I was with a AA rider that has been riding the trails we where on for 30 yrs.

I have stock bars and was clipping trees all day without any get offs and got to a set of 3 trees and forgot I was a new C rider and went for it and hit the first way too fast and hard on the gas.. I hit all 3 and went down hard...

This was all on me and not the bike...

"Yes, they have a big flaw provided you don't setup suspension/sag/and have a good front tire. "

That is with any bike...

I ride with a old AA rider on a XT350 "LOL" that can fly in the woods and he does it so easy when you sit back and check him out it look like he is out on the street on a Sunday ride..

I found out the hard way $$$$ that it is more about the rider then the bike out in the woods...

Your friend messed up that's all there is to it...

Old brake fluid will fade if it reaches a boil. the moisture that the fluid absorbs will boil allowing air pockets etc. When it cools down, it acts normal again. He needs to change his fluid. Way back when, when oldnbold was youngndumb, I broke my arm in a get-off from just the same thing, only front brake lever suddenly pulled to the grips during a hard 30 minute woods moto.

This crash is nothing to do with brakes or sag. The front wheel is in the air just before the crash (watch the front brake hose dip) so he couldn't turn to avoid the tree... that's it.

The rider simply got a bit carried away with the throttle, lifted the front a little and then couldn't turn.

If the people in that vid are real someone needs to call 911 and have them checked out.. How in the hell does a rock have a life? And if you roll it over does it die? Does it feel my tire as I ride over it?

I know the trees like us riding in the woods cuz the lil SOB like to play with me. They jump out in front of me all the time LOL....

At least the guy has a sense of humor about it, updated his vid :ride:

:lol: The end is the best! :lol:

thats ground looks like some we cover with TORN racing ???

and that sucks when you do it but what the heck it just for fun !!