Sign in to follow this  

This might sound dumb but....

Does anyone have any idea when the 2012 Yamaha YZ250F will be being sold? My parents are buying me a brand new bike for my high school graduation/ 18th birthday which is July 27 and they are putting it under my name so I can start paying for it and establishing credit for myself. So I am wondering if you guys think the new models will be available by July 27th?

The tsunami really put a wrench in the delivery gears this year. I'm one of those that put my deposit down last September for a Super Tenere. Delivery was first May, then July, then November, now it is back to the end of August. I realize that is a non-answer to your question, but gives you some idea as to what they are up against. Toyota is also well behind for the same reason.

My dealer has a comparatively empty showroom compared to the overflow he usually has. Sooner or later, it will all work out, but remains unsettled at this point. I feel for the people of Japan, and wish them well.

wats wrong with a brand new 2010? or 2009?

I'm trying to wait till the 2012 comes out just cause I hope it has fuel injection. If not I will go with the 2011 but I just don't want to buy a bike and then the next month new one comes out with a ton of new upgrades. Does anyone have any experience here with the 2010 or 2011 model?

I'm trying to wait till the 2012 comes out just cause I hope it has fuel injection. If not I will go with the 2011 but I just don't want to buy a bike and then the next month new one comes out with a ton of new upgrades. Does anyone have any experience here with the 2010 or 2011 model?

you know, honda kawasaki and KTM just released there 2012s. might be time to switch brands a try a new bike?

you know, honda kawasaki and KTM just released there 2012s. might be time to switch brands a try a new bike?

I know but I honestly want a reliable bike more than anything else. I realize those companies make bikes that are amazing and probably better than the yamaha but like I said, I want something that is reliable. Plus my

Mom works for Toyota and can get me a great deal since Toyota owns yamaha

Luckyyyyyy (Napolian Dynamite voice) for my graduation gift my parents took me out to lunch. At McDonalds.

If you are getting anything near a dealer discount then I would wait it out for sure.

I know but I honestly want a reliable bike more than anything else. I realize those companies make bikes that are amazing and probably better than the yamaha but like I said, I want something that is reliable. Plus my

Mom works for Toyota and can get me a great deal since Toyota owns yamaha

Toyota does not own Yamaha. They do own a stake/share of Yamaha. But not outright ownership.

I know but I honestly want a reliable bike more than anything else. I realize those companies make bikes that are amazing and probably better than the yamaha but like I said, I want something that is reliable.

Why do you think yamaha is any more reliable than any other make? Now maybe if you said a known bike compared to chinese there wouldn't be a question.

Why do you think yamaha is any more reliable than any other make? Now maybe if you said a known bike compared to chinese there wouldn't be a question.

Agreed. My YZ250F blew the top end twice within a matter of 30 hours whereas my KTM was run dry of oil and the cylinder still has perfect crosshatching.

Agreed. My YZ250F blew the top end twice within a matter of 30 hours whereas my KTM was run dry of oil and the cylinder still has perfect crosshatching.

:smirk: Can I ask the purpose of this post?

You blew the motor in your 250f and ran your ktm??? dry of oil? Im not so sure that Id be bragging about that. Sounds like you should be worrying about something other than which bike runs the best with no oil in it.

A maint. routine would take care of those issues. Oh and KTMs arent designed to run without oil just like the jap brands arent.

To the OP the Yamis arent any more reliable than any of the other brands... keep up on maint. as you should on any bike and they are all bulletproof to some extent, with the modern technology.

Toyota does not own Yamaha. They do own a stake/share of Yamaha. But not outright ownership.

Yeah, either way my mom can still get a good deal on brand new Yamaha stuff. But I mean if they aren't going to be out for a while then i might have to go with another company. What new 250F would you guys go for? And please consider everything, as far as parts and maintenance prices go too because i hear the ktm is a great bike but parts and maintenance are very expensive but if the bike is worth the extra money i will check it out.

And i say this because if you read the reviews you will see that almost every testing group agrees this bike is one of the most reliable and you can't build reliability into a motor by yourself but you can add power or at least change the distribution of the power. Plus I am only a mid pack beginner in motocross races so honestly the amount of power of the bike isnt really going to help me unless i balls up and twist the throttle more so i might as well get something reliable.

:smirk::bonk:

Yahama makes a great bike and with the added bonus of your mom's hookup I would go with Yahama too. FI is convenient but has it's costs as well. I would get what I could now and ride. If your elevation isn't changing that much in the tracks you ride I would go with the carb bike. Congrats on graduating BTW... you can buy your FI bike in 4 yrs when you finish college. :smirk:

if you have a 125, be patient and wait for the '12 YZ... sounds like that is what you want. It is not like you live in an armpit like me where half the year is ruined by weather.... so if the Yamaha comes out a little late, big deal. Wait for your YZ...

Edited by DEMI
android rots, typos galore!!!!

if you have a 125, be patient and wait for the '12 YZ... sounds like that is what you want. It is not like you live in an armpit like me where half the is ruined by weather.... so if the Yamaha comes out a little late, big deal. Wait for your YZ...

yup. if your dead set on a yamaha this would be the route.

:ride: Can I ask the purpose of this post?

You blew the motor in your 250f and ran your ktm??? dry of oil? Im not so sure that Id be bragging about that. Sounds like you should be worrying about something other than which bike runs the best with no oil in it.

A maint. routine would take care of those issues. Oh and KTMs arent designed to run without oil just like the jap brands arent.

To the OP the Yamis arent any more reliable than any of the other brands... keep up on maint. as you should on any bike and they are all bulletproof to some extent, with the modern technology.

Maybe I should have detailed my post further (I'm not as stupid as it sounded).

I bought a used 2006 YZ250F and blew a headgasket quickly after bringing it home. I had the dealer replace the top end and not too much thereafter the crank seized up. I could never get the valves to stay within spec and it became a quick money pit.

I sold the bike for a 2009 250 XCF (new). At 1.2 hours, I lost the drain plug on a ride (to this day I still am unsure how that happened). The bike stalled when I noticed the problem. I tore the engine down and everything actually appeared fine. Cams were discolored but not scored/scratched. Cylinder/piston/rings were untouched. Cam bridge still looked fine. I put the bike back together with the intention of replacing the top end sooner than normal.

I now have 35 hours on the bike. I check the valves every other oil change and they have yet to move from spec. The bike does not burn oil and I have never noticed any metal shavings in the oil filter. Other than the hydraulic chain tensioner, I feel this bike built much better than my old YZ. It feels more powerful to me, the factory upgrades are cool, and don't get me even started on the suspension. The WP non-linkage suspension is a big win compared to the YZ linkage. I may be comparing apples to oranges here but that's my story on going from YZ to KTM.