Sign in to follow this  

should i buy this yz250

So i went to look at this 07 yz250 tonight and took my one frd that knows not a ton but a good bite about dirtbikes hes been out of the seen for a few years since he sold his 99 cr250 and his 2005 i think polairs preador, but the bike needs rear break pads the seller told me, the swing arm had some play (side to side about an inch or less not 100 percent sure on the exact amount) in it so my frd said its gunna need a new swing arm bearing but with him riding on it like that could it have egged the swing arm ? The kid had a couple of pages of invoices from the work he had done on it at the dealership all bearing were reaplaced about a year ago, and new top end rebuilt, The top end was rebuilt in nov and my frd test rode it and he said it had alot of compression and power. The bike was pretty dirty but my frd said it would clean up and i agreed it would but thats a sign on how well a person takes care of a bike. He said he was the 2nd owner and the first owner raced it for a year which is one other thing i didnt like about it. I aslo checked the vin on the motor and the 10th diget was a 6 so that means its a 2006 model right ? Hes only asking 2000 dollars for it so i was gunna hit him for mabe 200 or 300 less if i do decide to get it nothing to lose but what do you guys think?

Also its not my frds bike he just went to look at the bike with me to help me out

Heres a link to the add so you can c the bike http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2413652547.html

Thanks for the help

Edited by Thabreit

You're gonna have to give us a pic of that "sway bar" before we can comment on it.

Any play in the ball joints?

Just jerking your chain dude, there's no sway bar on a dirtbike, are you talking about the axle spacers? or swing arm bearings? the bearing kit is about 50 bucs I think. axle blocks are less.

Yeah i ment swing arm had sway bars on the brain for somereason but i edited the orignal post

the guy said he had all the bearing replaced a year ago would that one have gone bad that fast or is that a indication of a biger problem just, wanted your advice if this is a good deal that just needs a little clean tlc or is a bust

Depends how much you want to put into it. I bought an '07 for $1700 last year, but I had planned (and did) put far more into it than that. If you're looking for a bike that is a buy and ride type deal with no work, you're not gonna pay that little.

Yeah for that year and that price thats a given but i just dont want it to need a new swing arm bc i dont plan on putting mabe more than 200ish in parts in it now and then plastics and what else it would need comsmeticaly down the rode to get it to look nice

Sounds like it's been ridden pretty hard, but 2k for an 07 is low.

Good deal if you don't have the cash for a better cond bike and can fix it up a litttle at a time, but if money isn't a problem, I would probably look for a better 1 for a little more.

i was going to look at a 01 yz250 this weekend bc thats the only time hes avaible and it looks real clean his uncle owned it before him his uncle gave it to him bc he got a 250 and it looks clean and just had the topend rebuild hes asking 2000 for it and it does looks real clean from the pics, brand new compared to the 07 condition from the pics do you think even tho its older it would be alot better for me, im just thinking into this alot bc i work hard for my money and this will be the last bike i proble buy for awhile so i think into it alot which is good dont want to get riped off

Offer him $1500 and negotiate from there.

for the 01 or 07 ?

Yeah for that year and that price thats a given but i just dont want it to need a new swing arm bc i dont plan on putting mabe more than 200ish in parts in it now and then plastics and what else it would need comsmeticaly down the rode to get it to look nice

Just based on your description and no pics, bearings may be all it needs. The bearings would get worn especially if he failed to properly lube them.

I doubt you would need a new swingarm. Someone could fix it if where the bearing race sits was damaged. Weld / Machine, just machine and use different size bearing (outer), machine and press in a sleeve, etc.

Kind of surprised bearings would have gone out in a year..

I doubt you would need a new swingarm. Someone could fix it if where the bearing race sits was damaged. Weld / Machine, just machine and use different size bearing (outer), machine and press in a sleeve, etc.

Kind of surprised bearings would have gone out in a year..

Me 2 thats y it makes me a little worried

But do you think a much cleaner older bike would be alot better being i would know that it has a cleaner history and doesnt need anything ?

What would you describe as "cleaner history?" I know people who thought they were getting a great bike, only to have them blow-up the 1st or 2nd ride. I wouldn't be overly concerned with the bike. Any used bike is a crap shoot.

Haha true it is a crap shoot but a bike thats been babied more washed and lubed after every ride the motor appesrs to be in good, if it doesnt have a rebuild on it this past winter I would proble tear it dowm and take a look and replace the top end so that it wouldmt cause more problems from blowing, and a bike that,didnt have the piss raced out of it. By how clean a bikes parts are and places a joe smoo doesnt normaly keep clean by how much dirt and gunk is there tells u how much time they spent keeping it fresh and on maitence. And a clean history as in the orignal owner or it was a family memvers bike before and he knows everything about the bike and isnt a high school kid that has owned it for a 3 or 4years that beat on it who bought it off some random guy

The first rule of buying a used motorcycle is not to trust anything anybody says. Check out Craigslist and notice how many bikes advertise "new top end", yeah, right. Sure, there are some honest guys out there selling bikes that wont screw you over, but its my opinion that most arent honest. The key is to know what you are looking for when buying used. There are the basics such as looking for oil leaks, listening to the engine, wiggle the wheel bearings, etc. People that find the good bikes go a step further...pay special attention small things like peg and engine cover wear, the vast majority of owners dont replace pegs. If the pegs are worn down dull, the covers show alot of wear, and the rotors are indented, you can bet the bike has some hours. This doesnt mean the bike is a POS, it depends on the maintenance performed. However, I have never bought a bike that doesnt pass those simple tests. I liken it to a card game, I try to ask a ton of questions and read the seller. Its more than a random crap shoot. I have bought several bikes over the past few years and have good luck with them all.