Sign in to follow this  

is the drz400sm right for me???

i just got my motorcycle license a few days ago. i've been riding dirt bikes since i was a kid and i was thinking a drz would feel like a good first choice. im just wondering if the drz400sm is the right choice for me. ive ridden one and its fun, but that was only a few blocks. my job is literally 2 minutes away. which i can walk to if i wanted to, however my school is 22 miles away i can hit the hwy a bit and take back roads, but would make a 30 minute ride a 1 hr ride.

i dont exactly have to ride to school, because i do drive. but it would be nice to do it once or twice a week, living is so cal i have tons of canyons, i live 5 minutes from the nearest canyon, but some places like malibu from my house is like 50 miles away, and malibu has some awesome twisties that i dont want to miss out on.

basically, im not sure if the drz would fit me. i think it would be a kick ass bike simply because the modifications are endless, motor is rock solid, and its great for commuting, "city use" im just not sure if its up to the hall to some canyons that are 40-50 miles away.

thanks in advance,

javier

Sounds like the perfect bike except maybe the highway thing. You can ride a DRZ on the highway, it is fast enough and everything, but it is pretty light and you're sitting bolt upright so you get blown around a bit. If this doesn't bother you than you'll be fine. Being a thumper it's obviously not as smooth as a 4cyl streetbike but compared to some dirtbikes you'll probably think it's super smooth.

The bike is up to it, the questions is are you?

im game. but reading some threads i hears its sketchy riding it more than 30 or so miles straight highway. i just dont want to hit the highway with my friends and encounter a problem.

Sounds like the perfect bike except maybe the highway thing. You can ride a DRZ on the highway, it is fast enough and everything, but it is pretty light and you're sitting bolt upright so you get blown around a bit. If this doesn't bother you than you'll be fine. Being a thumper it's obviously not as smooth as a 4cyl streetbike but compared to some dirtbikes you'll probably think it's super smooth.

i figured, and im ok with the ride, i know a few modifications like seat and tank make it more tolerable to do some long hauls. i know not to expect hitting the hwy at 140 mph like some of my buds on their 600rr's. and im ok with that. i guess i dont know where to start to get it to my liking since ive never modified a bike or taken one on the open rode until recently.

i'm like you, i've been on dirtbikes forever, and i thought the drz would be a good match for my first street legal bike. used mostly for commuting to work and school, as well as a few thrills on the way home. and it was the perfect choice.

it'll handle highway rides beyond 30mi just fine. i've never had an issue mechanically, but my cheeks will tell you otherwise. you'll probably want a new seat. i got used to it though.

modding is pretty simple. you'll probably have fun with it. where you start is up to you and where you feel like it could use an improvement. imo there is no "HAVE TO DO" mods, except the preventative fixes.

I have owned about 15 bikes during my life, the DRZ 400SM is my favorite, I still own it.

It is fine up to about 70 MPH, very safe and always fun, and I have never had to walk home after taking it out.

I rode my S on the highwsy for the first time the other day and the only bad part is the 70 mph cruise. I'm used to doing 80-85 in my car so the slower speed takes some getting used to and of course you get blown around some but it's no biggie. right now i am happy with stock but the 3x3 mod and jetting is coming soon. it is my first bike and i love it. you will too

The bike is up to it, the questions is are you?

exactly, sometimes i ride 80 miles to meet up with other riders only to ride another 20 (that's 100 all freeway) before we even get to the riding places, ride around for a few hours, then i have to ride home 300+ mile days can be exhausting but i love my s model for commuting in the city so it's worth it to me

It appears I have a similar back round as you and had the same questions last summer. I took the plunge and bought a 2008 SM. I commute to work every day (weather permitting) 35 miles, with a 20 of it on the interstate. I live in one of the windiest parts of the country (SE Wyoming) and some days are less fun than others, but on any bike 65 mph cross wind gusts suck.

Funnest all-a-round bike I've had the pleasure of riding. :smirk:

thanks everyone. i am most definitely going to get the drz. and ill report back to how i feel about it.