Sign in to follow this  

California Rider down in Mendocino NF

Saw this in the Lake County paper. Glad the guy made it o.k. after spending the night out in the cold. brrrr!:smirk:

Oh yeah. I got my health insurance back after one month with none. TIME TO RIDE! :smirk:

LAKE COUNTY -- A Lake County Sheriff's Search and Rescue (SAR) mission in the Mendocino National Forest during the Memorial Day weekend resulted in the rescue of a Tracy man.

On Sunday at approximately 10:30 p.m., sheriff's deputies responded to a vacation home in Lower Lake to investigate a missing person. Helen Gustafson reported her husband, Ronald Alan Gustafson, 58, failed to return from a day ride he took on his dual-sport motorcycle to visit friends at a cabin in the Board Camp area of the national forest in Colusa County.

Ronald left the vacation home on Swedberg Road in Lower Lake at approximately 11 a.m. Sunday morning and was due to return by 7 pm. Helen last heard from her husband at approximately 4 p.m. as he was leaving the cabin to return to Lower Lake.

Deputies spent several hours before dawn on Monday searching for signs of Ronald or his trail. Despite checking four different forest service roads and venturing as many as 12 miles into the forest, deputies were unable to locate him.

At approximately 8 a.m. on Monday LCSO Lt. Chris Macedo coordinated a SAR operation to locate the man. As information was gathered from Helen, SAR volunteer ATV teams and a SAR volunteer logistical team established a base camp off of Elk Mountain Road. By late morning, a fixed-wing CHP airplane responded to the area from Redding to assist with the search. A U.S. Forest Service law enforcement officer also responded to assist.

At approximately noon, SAR authorities determined that Ronald was found by two unidentified motorcycle riders on a forest road near Crabtree Hot Springs. Ronald reportedly wrecked his motorcycle and was injured. The riders who found him reportedly stayed with the injured man until another unidentified party driving a pickup truck came by and managed to get Gustafson into the truck.

As SAR was headed to the area of the wrecked motorcycle, they crossed paths with the pickup truck as Ronald was being driven from the site. A REACH helicopter was dispatched to the area and after finding a landing zone, the man was transported to the air ambulance and flown to the UC Davis Medical center with a possible fractured leg.

It was determined he wrecked his motorcycle on the forest road at approximately 5 p.m. the previous evening and was stranded the entire night where the bike went down.

Rivero said he extends gratitude to the SAR coordinator, Lt. Macedo, the SAR volunteers who contributed to the operation, the California Highway Patrol air crew, the REACH air crew, the U.S. Forest Service and to the civilians who found Gustafson and expedited his rescue.

Saw this in the Lake County paper. Glad the guy made it o.k. after spending the night out in the cold. brrrr!:smirk:

At approximately noon, SAR authorities determined that Ronald was found by two unidentified motorcycle riders on a forest road near Crabtree Hot Springs. Ronald reportedly wrecked his motorcycle and was injured. The riders who found him reportedly stayed with the injured man until another unidentified party driving a pickup truck came by and managed to get Gustafson into the truck.

Rivero said he extends gratitude to the SAR coordinator, Lt. Macedo, the SAR volunteers who contributed to the operation, the California Highway Patrol air crew, the REACH air crew, the U.S. Forest Service and to the civilians who found Gustafson and expedited his rescue.

He owes his life to those pesky motorcycle riders.

I agree with YZ and let me add: You never leave anyone on the trail, ever. :smirk:

Edited by superslyko
Thanks for postin up tislaw!

So is the bill for the rescue efforts pending? Can he contest the bill since they actually did not find him; two MC riders found him.

i always ride by my self, i just don't crash by my self, except my avatar picture were i tried to cross a greasy log at a 45, but some day my luck may run out.

Get a spot mesenger if you ride alone and hope that if you crash you can activate it. Or better yet put it on tacking mode and it will send out your location every 10 minutes to website. I agree with others...do not ride alone if at all possible.

i rode by a stranded ktm dualsport just up from crabtree hot springs just up from the squatters on monday afternoon.that might have been the guys bike.figured the bike had broke or was out of fuel.it was an odd sight.the poor fellow must have been cold.good he is ok.dan

Get a spot mesenger if you ride alone and hope that if you crash you can activate it. Or better yet put it on tacking mode and it will send out your location every 10 minutes to website. I agree with others...do not ride alone if at all possible.

SPOT would not have helped my friend who died from a crash while riding alone. He had a cell phone and was in range. He died of internal injuries after laying there over eight hours alone passed out. Had a friend been with him he'd still be here today, as too a little girl would still have her daddy. IMO, its just not worth the risk.

dam thats an eye opener, but alot of time i have to ride alone, people tend to shy away when you have a chain saw strapped to the front of your bike or when you want to do a 100+ mile ride were no man has gone before and have gas cans strapped to your back, but TT is a great resource for hooking up with people to ride with.

Spot service transmits a signal at specified intervals. If your signal is all from the same location it will show up in the e-mail's it sends out. Whomever is keeping track of you will know where you are not moving.

The newer models have short preset messages you can send out. If you are in one location and don't send a message out your interested party (wife, husband, etc..) will assume you are hurt and could send help.

It's not perfect but it helps a lot.

I'm glad the guy is ok. That would suck to

Lay on the cold ground all night waiting for

Help. I'm glad he got out ok. That is a

Huge place and not a place to ride alone.

Cycle Gear has them as well as a ton of other places just, search "spot satellite messenger" http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=SOT_SPOTGEN2_G

$150 for the unit and $99 annually . Kinda steep but if it saves your ass once it would be well worth it . They are great for watersports/boating aswell because its water-proof (1 meter submerged for 30 min). Sometimes I windsurf in the bay by San Mateo every once in a while and have heard lots of stories of people breaking down and left to float all night and ending up miles away.

Even if your with someone, they wouldn't have to leave you to go get help.

I dont have one yet but soon.........

My employer supplied me with one to use when I'm off the beaten path doing my patrols, haven't had to use it yet but its a good tool just in case something does go wrong. Cell phones and sat phones don't work in a lot of places..............