Sign in to follow this  

Are these camshafts OEM?

When I got my bike last spring, I was told that it had the 3x3 mod, slip-on exhaust, and Stage 1 Hotcams.

I didn't really believe the guy about the cams, as I expected to replace them myself eventually anyway.

I just checked my valve clearances, going from the OEM standards. I got some new shims and they're back in spec.

I just want to make sure that these are stock cams and not Hotcams or anything else. Is there any way to tell?

5736244267_f89c78ab53_b.jpg

Show us the sprocket side

I will I have absolutely have to. I already bolted everything back up.

I realized after that I didn't take a pic of the sprocket side. :smirk:

The fact that it has the Auto Decomp does not bode well...but there are some Hot Cams that still had the decomp.

The fact that it has the Auto Decomp does not bode well...but there are some Hot Cams that still had the decomp.

The "new" HotCams stage 1 (like these i have) have the auto decomp.

If these are Hotcams, and I have them shimmed to OEM cam specs, would it cause all of the extra noise I'm hearing from my bike?

nobles suggestion is good - adjustable sprockets - they're hc's.

never owned the stage 1 hc's, but they look oem to me.

i would think we would be able to see the bolts for the adjustable sprockets peeking out from behind - i don;t see them.

They look exactly like the set of E model cams I have sitting in my garage. But hard to know for certain without seeing the sprocket faces, as already stated.

Did you shim them loose or tight? Loose is noisier than tight.

They're shimmed to the loosest OEM clearance. I forget the numbers at the moment, I'm at work.

Maybe that's what it is then. If they're standard SM cams, then they're in spec, to the largest clearance.

I shimmed mine middle of the road. I'm going back in to shim them tighter because they are just too noisy for my liking.

I switched to a lighter weight oil, and that seemed to help a little. I'm just going to roll with it. Since I've posted these threads, I've seen about 10 other videos of people's DRZ's that sound worse, and nothing is wrong.

Eff it. I think I just had post rebuild paranoia. That was my first time working on anything inside the head.