Sign in to follow this  

oil temp dipstick

I have a 01 xr650l. Am putting an oil mod on it and want to add the oil temp dipstick. I only find harley ones. I guess the dipstick is a standard length? If not where can i get one. I will be running AMSOIL.

I just finished making mine today. I went to a local scrap motorcycle yard and bought a plastic oil filler cap off of an older Honda. I paid $2 for it. I took a hacksaw and cut the plastic "handle" down to just about the top of the cap. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a digital meat thermometer for about $6. The thermometer is a bit shorter than the original but does extend down to a little more than half way down the scale on the dipstick. I drilled out the oil cap with a 5/32 bit slid the thermometer through the cap. I put some high temperature gasket maker around the hole to seal it off. It actually looks pretty clean and I will be out testing it tomorrow. I went this route because I preserved the original dip stick and it was a cheap alternative to the ones online.

i went to smart and final and bought a temp prob for cooking (it went to 250deg) drilled a hole on the top of the stock dip stick and just pushed it in. works great and was around 6 bucks :ride:

Great answers!!! thanks for the replies. I will prob do the meat thermo. I bought this to trail with my 3 year old. I ride a ST1300 daily but think that might change to be able to take some dirt roads along the way.great site !!

Tested mine today and the highest temperatures that I had were at sustained highway speeds, 65 to 70 mph for about 15 to 20 miles. The highest temperature reading I had was 235 degrees. I was happy with that reading because it was 90+ degrees in central Ohio today.

The one thing i noticed is when the oil lever gets a little low it doesnt register accurately on the dip stick and the temp registers low. i did the drill the stock dipstick and pressed in a meat therm. way and the therm. is quit a bit shorter than the stock one. On my 650r the oil temp almost always goes to 250 and just sits there almost never goes above it and almost never goes below it unless its cold outside.

I've been using a XR's Only Oil Temp Dip Stick for years, and they work great. If you switch your oil , to a synthetic oil, like Klotz or Amsoil 10w40, you will see that your oil temps will run much cooler and your bike will shift much smoother.

I've been using a XR's Only Oil Temp Dip Stick for years, and they work great. If you switch your oil , to a synthetic oil, like Klotz or Amsoil 10w40, you will see that your oil temps will run much cooler and your bike will shift much smoother.

How much cooler? Anyone do this oil change & ride same day, at same ambient temp?

Edited by bork