Sign in to follow this  

Supercross actually stewart should go to..

I've read through all the JS threads and everyone keeps mentioning the same things. If he was smart he would go to Joe Gibbs Racing, and if not there then he needs another well financially backed PRIVATE team.

His problem is not that he is slow, or that he's not talented, i think we can all agree on that. The problem is that he is inconsistent. Everyone is forgetting that his consistency HAS improved over the last couple of years along with his attitude and maturity level. So to me, there is no reason for him to be crashing under pressure other than he's not happy with his bike.

The guy is the fastest MX/SX racer on the planet. Although his bike is highly modified, at the end of the day its designed at the factory for the every day rider. A rider that good needs a special bike from the ground up.

There's a lot of different ways to setup a bike for a racer, and maybe San Manuel isn't doing it for him? If he goes to JGR he's got the backing of not only a strong team and Yamaha support, but also all of the engineering staff for JGR's cup team. The bike and the rider can be analyzed at that team more thoroughly than any other team including the factory teams. I think if he gets his bike setup correctly, then he crashes less.

Just my two cents...

I am a JS fan but I think a good rider would adapt to his bike and not crash. It is faster to go a little slower and not crash than to go balls out and crash.

James needs to ride within his skill level! He is a very talented rider and at times the fastest man on the planet but he also crashes to much! He does bring excitement too whatever series he rides. Is he washed up? no way. does he have more comp yes> will someone faster come along? yes. Should we enjoy good rides by whoever puts in one? yes.

I've read through all the JS threads and everyone keeps mentioning the same things. If he was smart he would go to Joe Gibbs Racing, and if not there then he needs another well financially backed PRIVATE team.

His problem is not that he is slow, or that he's not talented, i think we can all agree on that. The problem is that he is inconsistent. Everyone is forgetting that his consistency HAS improved over the last couple of years along with his attitude and maturity level. So to me, there is no reason for him to be crashing under pressure other than he's not happy with his bike.

The guy is the fastest MX/SX racer on the planet. Although his bike is highly modified, at the end of the day its designed at the factory for the every day rider. A rider that good needs a special bike from the ground up.

There's a lot of different ways to setup a bike for a racer, and maybe San Manuel isn't doing it for him? If he goes to JGR he's got the backing of not only a strong team and Yamaha support, but also all of the engineering staff for JGR's cup team. The bike and the rider can be analyzed at that team more thoroughly than any other team including the factory teams. I think if he gets his bike setup correctly, then he crashes less.

Just my two cents...

What?! From what's been discussed, he doesn't like the Yami, so that shoots holes in your suggestion. Not to mention why would they pay so much $$$$ to hire him, when they have two great riders in Brayton and Millsaps. I don't know how much they have left of their contracts, but Millsaps (sp?) seems to be turning things around, and Brayton will be back soon and he's improving every year.

I think Fastest man at the track that day would be better . I am sure there is someone on this planet given equal sercumstances that is faster . If James hated the Yamaha so much ? and so far thats just a rumor why would he want to go and ride another Yamaha . Also if he Bought his own team ? again its just rumor why would he want to go ride for another team . The top 5 guys in the 450 class are all past champions what makes him think he is any better ?

its not lookin too great for the yamaha honestly, its sketchy at best.

If you thinka bout it, stewart claims he hates the yamaha and doesnt feel comfortable on it. Half of his 2011 SX series could be blamed on the bike IF that is indeed true.

This is kinda being backed up by the fact that Pourcel pulled off the track mid moto claming he really didnt feel comfortable/safe with the yamaha handling.

2 top riders claiming the same thing about the same brand bike from 2 different factory teams who im sure have different theories on how to set the bike up. The only hole in this is that Stewart has won on the bike quite a few times, and CP was up front with his YZF and then backed off and made his claim. I know how every track is different but for it to be able to work on one track should mean its tuneable for any other track.

I am sure this is just poking the hornet's nest and defeating the purpose of my post. But, I can't resist.

Do we really need yet another thread in the pro racing forum about a guy who isn't even racing? Should TT consider creating a reality TV star forum?

I am sure this is just poking the hornet's nest and defeating the purpose of my post. But, I can't resist.

Do we really need yet another thread in the pro racing forum about a guy who isn't even racing? Should TT consider creating a reality TV star forum?

I guess some people are using theories to pass the time while still holding onto some hope that he'll race some nationals. I'm not holding my breath!

His head isn't in the game. Most of his bone head crashes (IMO) were from lack of concentration.

While I would agree that JS needs to get on a better program with more emphasis on concentration and structure, IT IS NOT THE BIKE!

I don't think that JGR is the anwser, but maybe just a big dose of Big James kicking his ass and keeping him straight. "We racers, that's what we do!" JS needs to re-evaluate himself and take that quote to heart if he wants to be back on top again in the AMA MX and SX Championships.

But.......................if his goal is to be a great entertainer and expand his name (like Pastrana) then I think he is doing what he needs to do to achieve that status. He has the name, he has the personality and he is extremely talented on a motorcycle.

Isn't Bubba the majority owner of the San Manuel team? I've heard it from a lot of media outlets and the fact that Brooks (L of L&M) is gone. I think JSR company in control, which is basically just James. I doubt he's going anywhere other than getting a new brand.

its not lookin too great for the yamaha honestly, its sketchy at best.

If you thinka bout it, stewart claims he hates the yamaha and doesnt feel comfortable on it. Half of his 2011 SX series could be blamed on the bike IF that is indeed true.

This is kinda being backed up by the fact that Pourcel pulled off the track mid moto claming he really didnt feel comfortable/safe with the yamaha handling.

2 top riders claiming the same thing about the same brand bike from 2 different factory teams who im sure have different theories on how to set the bike up. The only hole in this is that Stewart has won on the bike quite a few times, and CP was up front with his YZF and then backed off and made his claim. I know how every track is different but for it to be able to work on one track should mean its tuneable for any other track.

I've no reason to doubt CP, but it could be that the bike is fairly new to him (< 1 month). One thing really has me wondering though - Millsaps 2nd Place overall, Dietrich 5th Place overall (not even an Mx guy really). Both on a YZ 450F. Is the bike really that bad, or is the setup super critical and they (CP n crew) just missed it?

Not that i wanted to post in this forum , but....... Contrary to people that don't like Stewart , dreams , it IS the bike , and has been since the new backwards design , watch video's of his crashes and anytime he is riding that bike(2010-11 design) , and watch CP ride his YZ , it kicks in the rear constantly (watch ANY SX or MX race with it with anyone on it) , and watch him practice at Pala this year on it , it constantly looked like the back was kicking up , and on the verge of endoing

Why else would Joe Gibbs build their OWN shock ?? , because there is a serious issue with the factory one or the combination of shock , linkage, and geometry,weight bias , and no amount of valving is going to cure the issue , the bike stinkbugs , and if you lower it to cure the issue , it kicks violently

Stewart has always had his bikes low and soft in the back and stiff and high in the front , and feels uncomfortable with any other setup , could be the bike design wont allow that setup , and his results have suffered because of it

No matter how talented the rider , some just cant adapt to certain characteristics of some bikes

Not that i think he is talented anywhere near Stewart , but Reed is a perfect example of a rider who could not adapt to a bike (KX450) and it showed in his results and you could physically see him struggle on the bike (he now actually looks like he has skill on the Honda (i contribute that completely to the bike:smirk:)

JS has had the same issue with the YZ(backwards design)

and as we saw , CP was obviously uncomfortable on the YZ as well

Possibly Grant as well

It looks like Yamaha has taken what they had that worked as a balanced neutral bike for years , and bet on technology versus a actual improvement in handling , and they seemed to have lost focus , and lost.....

Unless Stewart can find a way to break his contract , for now he is stuck with that pile of crap , and has chosen to be safe and not ride until the problem is addressed , or until his contract is up , rather than risk more injury because of a poorly designed bike , i think he is smart for what he is doing , though i would rather see him race , i would much rather see Stewart (or any rider for that matter) healthy and CONFIDENT in his bike , and racing , then constantly questioning his bike and injuring himself and others because of it , just to "please his fans" because he is racing , its not about what WE want , its about what Stewart feels is best for him .... , you can only have so many concussions before you end up with permanent injuries to your brain and completely end a career......

.......just my opinion........ but it is what i have observed to be the issue.....

I've no reason to doubt CP, but it could be that the bike is fairly new to him (< 1 month). One]thing really has me wondering though - Millsaps 2nd Place overall, Dietrich 5th Place overall (not even an Mx guy really). Both on a YZ 450F. Is the bike really that bad, or is the setup super critical and they (CP n crew) just missed it?

Lmao......you gotta love this place

How can anybody be sure it's not the bike? Take McGrath; Honda wanted him to ride an aluminum frame and he said he'd rather leave the team - and he did. Plus he had been riding an older year frame geometry for years with the current stickers on it because it suited his style. Even if the backwards configuration is the "best" (whatever that it) James may just not get along with blue's geometry.

Lmao......you gotta love this place

OK EX ... glad you were entertained. Not even a full time Mx guy (until this year) for the past several years. Is that accurate enough for you?

Edited by OKVet

I have snowmobiled for years, and watched the changes come to them like they did bikes. The older sleds were more of a sit back type of riding style and in the early 2000's the mfg. started mass centralizing them. On the older sleds you could make the sled do what you wanted, but it took a lot of body english and muscle to get them to do it. If you had it figured out it was no problem. Then the newer mass centralized sleds came along and everybody was fighting them and didn't like to ride them because they had a mind of their own. But after figuring out it only took half the effort and just a little weight shift or a lean you could make it do things you wouldn't dream of on the old chassis. Over riding it definetely was the problem. I really think that is a lot of the problem on the YZ. put somebody on it that hasn't been riding something else for so long and they will pick it up faster, and be more comfortable much quicker.:smirk:

Was Reed really uncomfortable on the kxf???

Hopefully James will pick a bike to ride after the yamaha contract and pick one that he likes.

me thinks its gonan be a rmz or crf

He runs the fastest lap times in practice at most of the SX races-yep its the bike. He convincingly by large margins wins most heat races all year-yep its the bike. He wins 5 main events? for the year-yep its the bike. I think a bike change won't hurt him. But he really needs a race team-not Sorby some burnt out amateur helping him. If he had support like the pro circuit team I suspect his results would be better. Riding around his home track with his brother and Sorby is not going to prepare him well enough. He needs a complete mechanic\supension tech team and some real racers to practice with. Mitch Payton could improve his results.