Sign in to follow this  

Transmission problem... no 4th or 5th gears...

Last night about 2 miles from home, I lost 4th and 5th gear... I stopped and looked it over, then rode the last 2 miles in 3d...

Short history...

My bike has 29,300 miles on it and is ridden 100 miles a day as my commuter. I'm very easy on the trans and use the clutch even when shifting through the gears doing wheelies... (I never clutch the bike to pull the front wheel up, just power up and go and go...) I'm very sensitive to the fact that the DRZ has no cush drive, I ride almost 100% pavement and it has more HP and torque than a stock bike. It still has the original clutch and the bike has 17,000 miles on the BB and stroker crank (since Aug 2010). No tranny issues prior and the bike has been running very strong... Oil changes every 1000 miles and the drain plug magnet / screen is always very clean when changing the oil.

I pulled the CS cover off and found that the nut was not tight... the CS sprocket was not sloppy, but the torque had gone away. The CS was put on by a shop I deal with about 6000 miles ago. I replaced the chain about 3000 miles ago and did not notice any issue with the nut then. (It is my fault for not checking regularly...):smirk: I'm well aware of the loctite fixes.

I did searches on this subject for a couple of hours and as much as I would like to think that this is a "non-case splitting" issue. I suspect that maybe a clip on the shaft has come off or maybe a bad shift fork. Since I have not had prior transmission problems and it did not make any bad noises, or death lock-up, maybe there are not a lot of $$ parts that will need replacing...

Sorry for the long intro, just wanted to provide enough information.

Comments, suggestions?

Thanks, Craig

Chances are, bolt #9 has come loose

27.gif

You have to drain the oil, coolant, pull the right side cover and the clutch off to properly get to it. Clean it, red loctite it and reassemble.

Thank you for the reply. I will certainly take a look at it first...

Maybe I will get lucky.

Thanks,

Craig

Thank you for the reply. I will certainly take a look at it first...

Maybe I will get lucky.

Thanks,

Craig

If you don't mind, take some pictures of before and after the fix so people can reference them.

Tighten the cs nut, chain off,,, rotate the countershaft,, if it is locked up, or very rough... You have your problem...second gear bushing.

Loose shifter, broken spring on the shift pawl, broken or damaged shift forks, drum, damaged gears are all additional possibilities. The first and second items there can be addressed without splitting the case.

Well... Took the side cover off, removed the clutch and found the bigger problem... No easy fix for me... (I forgot about taking photos until I had the clutch and shift shaft already off)

The shift drum was fine...

IMAG0543_text.jpg

Looking into the cases I could see some broken parts...

IMAG0549_text.jpg

I managed to pull these out using a magnet.

IMAG0555_text.jpg

Now I'll pull the motor and get it apart. There were not any metal shavings in the oil or the filter. The broken parts are large and did not seem to go anywhere. I'm guessing that maybe a clip on the shaft came off and a gear slid on the shaft... Hopefully the parts list will not be too long or too expensive. The bike is already on the lift so it won't take too long to get the motor out of the bike.

The transmission had been fine and did not give any warning before it broke. I guess that I'm lucky that it did not lock up the rear wheel when it broke... That could have been ugly...

• Like 1

Well, I found the problem and I am still not sure why it broke the way it did...

29K miles on the bike and 17K since the big bore and stroker crank...

Broken gear and shifter fork...

IMAG0575%252520csm.jpg

But the worse thing was the damage to the case... OUCH

DSC02195.JPG

I ordered a complete transmission on eBay ($180.00) before my motor was apart, it arrived and looks like new... After seeing the broken case, I ordered the cases from the same motor the transmission came out of... It arrives on Monday.

Should be all back together before next weekend.

Is this type of case damage common if the trans breaks?