Hitting e button it clicks.

My 05 has a intermittant starting problem. I replaced battery a few months ago. What it does is it has a clicking down at the number plate when I hit the button. When it does that the starter does not engage. If I rock the bike a little sometimes it will start. The next time I push it its fine. the starter sounds good. I tried a different battery for a day it seemed like thats the problem but it still did it. click, click click. But not as much as the other battery. I help it with a kick and it fires right up. Is the solenoid thats clicking????? Both batts are fully charged. Mine is a cheapy. The other is a new oem honda batt.

My 05 has a intermittant starting problem. I replaced battery a few months ago. What it does is it has a clicking down at the number plate when I hit the button. When it does that the starter does not engage. If I rock the bike a little sometimes it will start. The next time I push it its fine. the starter sounds good. I tried a different battery for a day it seemed like thats the problem but it still did it. click, click click. But not as much as the other battery. I help it with a kick and it fires right up. Is the solenoid thats clicking????? Both batts are fully charged. Mine is a cheapy. The other is a new oem honda batt.

Time to go through all the connections, especially behind the headlight.

Time to go through all the connections, especially behind the headlight.

Bad connection, bad/intermittent solenoid. Or starter brushes are about shot.

Here's what I found. All wires looked good. I bypassed the clutch safety switch. When I lightly tapped on the side of the starter it worked. About as hard one finger tapping. It fired right up. So what does this mean inside of the starter? Thats why it was intermittant.

Solenoid

Solenoid

Yep, old big block Chevy trick when they wouldn't start was to tap on the solenoid with a screwdriver handle.

Here's what I found. All wires looked good. I bypassed the clutch safety switch. When I lightly tapped on the side of the starter it worked. About as hard one finger tapping. It fired right up. So what does this mean inside of the starter? Thats why it was intermittant.

You can rebuild the starter. Very easily! there are a couple of parts thay you will need. Which are available as a kit. Either on here at TT or here:

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/138_143/products_id/3676

They are a couple of springs and a couple of terminal brushes.

You can rebuild the starter. Very easily! there are a couple of parts thay you will need. Which are available as a kit. Either on here at TT or here:

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/138_143/products_id/3676

They are a couple of springs and a couple of terminal brushes.

Thank you for the direction. I was thinking brushes but not sure. Now how to get it off!! Any videos or something. Not alot of room.

Thanks again

Thank you for the direction. I was thinking brushes but not sure. Now how to get it off!! Any videos or something. Not alot of room.

Thanks again

It can be done, but not easy. Otherwise you will have to remove the head and cylinder. Just make sure to remove the timing chain tensioner completely!:ride: remove the two bolts and pull it out and turn it counter clockwise back and forth while pulling at an angle. If that doesn't work, then you can take the end cover off but be careful not to loose any of the internal parts. There is a pretty good diagram in the Service Manual to help you rebuild it.

Edited by crazybrother
add text

You can remove the starter without removing the Cylinder.

Pull the subframe up. Pull the shock out. Separate the carb from the head and pull it as far back as it will go. Pull the Cam chain lifter completely out. The starter will come out with a little massaging. rotate it slightly CCW and pull out.

You can remove the starter without removing the Cylinder.

Pull the subframe up. Pull the shock out. Separate the carb from the head and pull it as far back as it will go. Pull the Cam chain lifter completely out. The starter will come out with a little massaging. rotate it slightly CCW and pull out.

Thats all!!:ride::banghead::lol::lol::foul::lol:

Thats all!!:ride::banghead::lol::lol::foul::lol:

It works I promise!

Its not nearly as bad as head/cylinder removal...