Sign in to follow this  

Oil filter every other change?

Hi all. I've been changing my oil and filter every 1K. I use my largely stock DRZ (has 3x3 and jetting, but otherwise stock) about 70% road and 30% off-road. I wail on it routinely (within reason- i.e. not abusive, but I do ride it assertively/enthusiastically.)

I'm about at my next 1K mark and am thinking of changing the oil (again w/ synthetic) but not the filter. Is it reasonable to do the filter "every other" change? This means 2K per filter, of course. My oil still looks new and my filters usually come out looking pretty good also.

Thanks!

Changing the filter every other oil change is ok. But don't be mislead by "clean" oil and filters when you're changing them. Even though the oil coming out may look clean and new, the viscosity has actually broken down a lot due to the high amount of shearing it gets in these motors.

Changing the filter every other oil change is ok. But don't be mislead by "clean" oil and filters when you're changing them. Even though the oil coming out may look clean and new, the viscosity has actually broken down a lot due to the high amount of shearing it gets in these motors.

You bet- sound advice. I agree that you cannot go by "cleanliness" for the reasons you've outlined, which is why I stick to the 1K interval.

I think after running two SS filters in two bikes (both 450 thumpers) that I'm scared of them, UNLESS I have some clever backpurging setup, which I nearly made before switching back to normal filters because I was nervous. It seems like you NEVER get everything out of an SS filter. Does anyone want to try to re-sell me the idea? It's more of a personal thing for me. I never saw any damage using them, I just got worried and lost faith.

I have replaced the filter about every 2000 miles, with oil interval every 1000 (usually a little sooner). I have yet to find a blocked filter or had any crud in it of note, so unless a massive "something" happens, 2000 miles on a filter is working for me at the moment. I think that the manual calls for a period far in excess of this IIRC.

Having an oil screen (SS filter) on an A/C engine, I got to know what size particles got trapped, and by definition therefore, how small particles needed to be, to get by. Based on this I think a decent paper filter does a better job, and are cheap enough to make me sleep a little better at night.

Unscientific results.... My personal 2003 DRZ has had a SS filter since the first oil change. I,ve had this engine apart 10 or 12 times.nev seen negative wear due to oil filtration. I,ve installed SS filters in more DRZ,s then I can remember, , 30 or so at least , 2 of those have over 20k on them still going strong.. One is stock, the other has a 94 mm big bore, and 4mm crank...both have been using. sS filter since almost new. Nothing wrong with a clean paper filter,,, I use um after any time I have the engine open.

Thanks guys- good reference points to consider. Also appreciate the feedback on SS filters as I've considered this.