Local Dealers

I ride in So Cal with a race group that receives a discount at a local shop here. I have purchased many items and two new bikes from this shop over the last 15 years. So while I was off with injuries last year I obviously did not need parts or service. One day I come back to find out I did not have a discount, I find out at the register. I ask about it and was told the manager removed many people who had been in active. I ask to be put back on at the register. Didn't happen. So I e-mail management later and was told "come on back in and see me and I will try to restore your discount". Rather than just doing it.

Needless to say I now buy most everything online except tires. I have my friend get my oil at his discount. YTD I have already spent close to $2k on gear and other stuff from online dealers.

So when I hear about local dealers going under I just laugh now. You reap what you sow. All the surly parts guys who ignore you when you come in to buy something might be looking for work soon. Good Luck. ?

Times were tough and the dealer needed to cut the dead weight with hopes of making a little more profit on the little bit these people might actually buy. Records showed the dead weight was you. They said they would re-instate your discount with your next purchase......but you did not make a purchase so.......

BTW.....you only bought 2 bikes in 15 years.......consider yourself lucky they even gave you a discount!

Dead weight or not, they lose business now year after year. Can't buy all your bikes from the same place. I guess some people just don't mind having their status changed without their knowledge of it? I suppose this dealer is happy I bought my VFX W and two sets of gear from BTO? MY SIDIs too? yeah they don't care and I won't either when they're gone.

why do poeple think dealers are all evil? do you think they don't deserve to make a buck?they're people too, they have family to support. don't you realize it costs alot of money to run that shop that you go to to fondle the products, just so you can go home and order it online? electric,water and gas bills aren't free just because you're a dealer. profit isn't a dirty word! so tell me this all you dealer haters, you want them all shut down. where will you buy your next new bike( not someone elses used p.o.s.)

btw i'm not a dealer, but i am self employed. i know what it's like to have people like you act like i don't deserve to make a living (not a personal shot at you , just a generalization)

Around here, my experiance,-I think after you buy a bike, your 15% discounts usually dissapear after a year. I understand that, they have to make a living too, just don't retire off me! I've also learned over the years to NOT buy a new bike/unit just because it's $200.00 less! Now that i've been trying other dealers, some will really work with you, and treat you great. You're buying the dealer so to speak.Will the guy that's sells you the bike cheaper take parts off a showroom bike to get you riding for a weekend? Will he run different serial numbers to warrenty your stuff when it's 6 months out of warrenty? Can you hang out back in the shop, get to know the mechanics, and stick your nose in there a bit? Those are the things i like.

why do poeple think dealers are all evil? do you think they don't deserve to make a buck?they're people too, they have family to support. don't you realize it costs alot of money to run that shop that you go to to fondle the products, just so you can go home and order it online? electric,water and gas bills aren't free just because you're a dealer. profit isn't a dirty word! so tell me this all you dealer haters, you want them all shut down. where will you buy your next new bike( not someone elses used p.o.s.)

btw i'm not a dealer, but i am self employed. i know what it's like to have people like you act like i don't deserve to make a living (not a personal shot at you , just a generalization)

Agree 100%

People do not realize just how small a profit margin the MC Industry standard is......its the smallest of any industry that I know of.

I think one of the problems with parts in our sport is there are 2 middlemen between you and the manufacturer. Manufacturer -> Distributor -> Dealer -> Customer. If dealers could work out a way to buy directly from the manufacturer and eliminate one of the middlemen, they would have another leg up on the online stores because A) you can go to them and check out the part/gear before you buy it and :ride: they could sell for less and still turn a profit.

A lot dealers are running a franchise. To them, no different than pizza hut or walgreens. They are just as familiar with thier product too. Gone are the days of the owner being a racer, with parts guys who memorized all the part numbers, whose mechanics really were mechanics.

Now the owner operates a generic business model store. The parts monkey has no idea about any parts except the graphics, the wrenches went to a school and have no idea what they are doing.

I have been to over 20 dealerships in VA. Two were good stores, the rest just like I described.

As I always say.. Find an independant parts/service shop, buy all your stuff and have all your work done there. You will get a discount, get (much) better service on your bike, and far better treatment in general. Even if you've been off with an injury for a year.

Stealerships are just that. Buy your bike there and leave, don't go back until your ready to get another bike.

If price is so important, why do you even set foot in the dealer shop?

I go to the dealer shop if I need it now. I don't ask for discounts, unless it's obviously overpriced. He's there, he has it, he has overhead, I pay what he asks, period.

If you ask for a discount on everything, you are guarantee ing that he will not be there next time you need him. It's simple economics.

You should never expect price to be the motivating factor for good product and good service.

Put your efforts into earning more money, not getting better discounts....!