how NOT to lose your 300$ gopro camera?

ok, I have my gopro mounted on the visor. I am paranoid of losing it.

I would like to somehow tie around the mount, and then tie somewhere into my visor, so if the sticky mount ever broke or the camera fell off, it wouldnt hit the ground and get lost... it would just dangle from the piece of rope or wire I put on. does anyone here have any ideas or suggestions?

thanks!

A friend wrote his name and # all over his in permanent marker, hopefully someone would be honest and return it if they found it.

You could drill a couple small holes in the vizor and run some zip ties around the camera, maybe some bailing wire, I think the whole vizor would be ripped off before just the camera came off!

You could drill a couple small holes in the vizor and run some zip ties around the camera, maybe some bailing wire, I think the whole vizor would be ripped off before just the camera came off!

thats a good idea, I dont think the sharpie would work much with todays society.

I am scared of the sticky mount coming off the visor, and I am scared of the camera coming out/off of the sticky mount. maybe I will be able to secure the mount, and the camera case all at once!!

Yeah but I would write your name and # down, I know if I found one with info I would return it as well as alot of other people, its worth a shot.

zipties are a bit bulky, you could easily use safty wire..

Reach up and feel for it every 2 seconds. If it's gone turn around it's only 2 secs behind you.

Or

Tie a string around it and your chest protector.

Or

JB Weld the mount and case to your mounting area.

Or

Tie a string around it and anchor it off somewhere.

This may not help your fear but for what its worth, Ive nearly ripped my helmet off my head without that mount coming off....its very tough. However, getting whiplash from vines catching it conviced me to mount it like this....barely can see it, doesnt bother me at all but if it came off Id know..plus I like the view from here better than anywhere else. (image found on google, but same as my mounting)

Picture1389.jpg

How much does the visor for your helmet cost? maybe buy a spare and permanently mount it to one of them.

OR maybe permanently mount it to a plate with holes in it that you bolt on to your helmet.

We've run them on our competition rockcrawlers which have been rolled and dropped off cliffs and desert racing for a couple years and even with the stick on base after rolling the car multiple times at 60mph its never come off.

I've ridden with it on my helmet and on my chest protector its never even came loose.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I've ripped mine off several times

I use a camera lanyard as a safety wire, I now use mine mounted to the center of my chest protector, and wired to it too

I have a coiled stylus pen tether attached to my camera. It has loops at both ends so the helmet end can just be put under the head of visor's bolt and the camera end goes through a hole and loops over itself.

It works great, the first time I dropped my camera I didn't know it until it started bouncing off my back. The price was right too ... $0.00

Great topic.

I was on a ride last week and using my GoPro for the first time ever. Not knowing, I cleaned off my helmet and put the suction cup mount on there. Well it waited until I was going about 50+ mph and let go...unfortunately it did not save that segment, but fortunately I did manage to find it after realizing it was gone, about a mile from where it came off.

So, does anyone have any kind of luck with the suction cup mount, or is it strictly for vehicle surfaces, and not for helmet surfaces?

I ended up using a sticky on the helmet and it never came loose. But the slide in part of the sticky mount broke without any unusual pressure applied...I called and spoke with the rep at the place I bought it (Cycle Gear) and he only offered to sell me another complete mount kit, not to replace the broken part. I thought that was the lower form of customer service seeing that I spend a large chunk at Cycle Gear routinely.

This may not help your fear but for what its worth, Ive nearly ripped my helmet off my head without that mount coming off....its very tough. However, getting whiplash from vines catching it conviced me to mount it like this....barely can see it, doesnt bother me at all but if it came off Id know..plus I like the view from here better than anywhere else. (image found on google, but same as my mounting)

Picture1389.jpg

Wow, that looks like a great place to mount. I also like the idea of the coiled tether setup...seems the two together would be pretty unbeatable.

Danfromnb, where do you get that coiled stylus pen tethers?

I prefer the chin mount. It's the safest place for it to be and you can watch it (without it being in the way).

The suction cup is to be used for non-speed applications... I would not recommend using it on a helmet (from experience!).

well i lost mine this spring in some tight woods, gotta come up w/a safety lanyard as well

I prefer the chin mount. It's the safest place for it to be and you can watch it (without it being in the way).

The suction cup is to be used for non-speed applications... I would not recommend using it on a helmet (from experience!).

I have to agree!!! I just was not expecting it to come loose like it did. I guess I can't follow directions.

Do you have any pix of your chin mount, or can you explain how it goes? I don't think mine came with enough hardware to get it on the chin of my helmet.

Oh wait, would you be mounting it to one side of your helmet chin?

thats a good idea, I dont think the sharpie would work much with todays society.

I am scared of the sticky mount coming off the visor, and I am scared of the camera coming out/off of the sticky mount. maybe I will be able to secure the mount, and the camera case all at once!!

you'd be surprised. yeah, theres alot of people who would keep it but theres still some decent people out there. i know that if i found one without anything on it i would keep it, but if it had a return address or # i would give it back.

I bought a go pro a few years back and mounted it on the hood of my snowmobile.. lost it during my first race with it :ride: and looked for hours and never found that damn thing. so I feel ya on being scared..