Sign in to follow this  

Fork seals

Can someone tell me what is involved in changing the fork seals on an 00 KX80? I am fairly good mechanically but have never had to change the fork seal ( or service forks always paid to have it done!) before. Thanks I would appreciate any assistance you can give! Thanks again

I had an older fork (1991). The bolt that holds the top tube/valving to the lower tube unscrews from the bottom of lower tube. Inside is the head/nut that has a hex shape taper. If everything is clean and not cross-threaded, you can take apart easy without any special tools. If needed used a rubber cork and wedged in to stop it from turning and remove the bolt. Afterwards I made a mating tool so I could reassemble the fork otherwise you will not be able to tighten it.

Fork comes apart in the seal area the same as others. Dust seals/wipers, ring clip, seal, washer, bearing,,,, You may not need to take apart the fork if you use a screw to rip the seal out. Just dont cratch the tube.

Edited by weantright

it's very simple but the tricky part is having the correct tools. Mainly the seal driver and most importantly, the service manual. The manual will tell you step-by-step and give you all the specs. As for the driver, talk to some local folks, they may have one you could borrow. I think they are 38mm. Can't remember.

Seal drivers are for the shops. You can use PVP pipe, old seal or just push in. I have done alot of forks and never had a problem pushing in seals. Now getting the seal over the threaded top tube, seal bullet would be nice.

Bullets are like $5 or something at Motosport. You can use tape, plastic bag or an old rubber. :ride: You'll need to lube the tape and the plastic bag though.

sooner or later i am replacing my 97 kx100 fork seals but what i am stuck on is rebuilding the top end i am trying to find top end gasket kit and rings so far i found a gasket kit for 28.85 and 27.99 i am trying to find rings but not having that much luck

I just throw some duct tape over the top and make sure it covers the indented ring where the top bushing sits as well. Throw a little grease on them, and on they go. Use PVC pipe, unless your doing them all the time the driver isnt worth it to me anyways.

Seal drivers are for the shops. You can use PVP pipe, old seal or just push in. I have done alot of forks and never had a problem pushing in seals. Now getting the seal over the threaded top tube, seal bullet would be nice.

i disagree, nothing beats a real seal driver, although yes its possible without one. but i have a lathe and make my own.

P5020004.jpg

For anyone who says a real seal driver is not needed, you really should actually try one. I think you will find it is so much better.

Great job on the seal driver, hi_im_sean!