Sign in to follow this  

05 250sx vs 05 yz250...Which one?

Hello everyone. Now, obviously I know I'm posting this on a KTM forum, but I was wondering which bike would be easier to ride. I've read all the reviews on both bikes, but I'm still not sure which would be easier to ride for fun at the nearby tracks. Which would be better for someone newer to 2t's? I ride a KTM 4t, which is why I'm asking on this forum. Any info would be awesome.

05 yz will blow the 05 sx out of the water...........once you start getting into 09 and uo ktm's than its a defferent story

The YZ is going to handle better and have a better power plant IMHO. As mentioned above that all changes when you get into an '08 and up 250sx, different chassis and way better motor. Supposedly the '11 250sx is even one step better than the '08 -'10.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 05 chassis, my 200 rode and handled great. I will agree that the later models are better, but that isn't the question.

With that, you already own a KTM, so owning another will give you lots of crossover parts. In addition, the SX has an adjustable PV with a fine tune adjustment and 3 different springs to tailor the hit. Also, you can put a late model SX ignition on it and have 2 different maps that you can switch back and forth depending on conditions.

The YZ is a nice bike also, but easier to ride, I doubt it, since you can't tune the power delivery like the SX.

The other thing is that you are comparing used bikes. NO way would I choose a clapped out KTM over a nice YZ, or vice versa.

Thanks gmoss and everyone for the responses. Both bikes are in roughly the same condition, although I think the KTM has had a little less use than the Yz.

Thanks gmoss and everyone for the responses. Both bikes are in roughly the same condition, although I think the KTM has had a little less use than the Yz.

nod to YZ for susp

nod to KTM for tunability, for those years. the KTM susp can be made to work well once revalved, stock form (which is hard to find used), the YZ has the advantage.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 05 chassis, my 200 rode and handled great. I will agree that the later models are better, but that isn't the question.

With that, you already own a KTM, so owning another will give you lots of crossover parts. In addition, the SX has an adjustable PV with a fine tune adjustment and 3 different springs to tailor the hit. Also, you can put a late model SX ignition on it and have 2 different maps that you can switch back and forth depending on conditions.

The YZ is a nice bike also, but easier to ride, I doubt it, since you can't tune the power delivery like the SX.

The other thing is that you are comparing used bikes. NO way would I choose a clapped out KTM over a nice YZ, or vice versa.

The YZ's are very tunable also. Some simple timing, jetting, flywheel weights or exhaust changes can mellow things out if so needed. The YZ chassis is very neutral and very predictable. The stock A0SS suspension is very, very good. And the YZ's reliability is great. Parts are also dirt cheap. Of the vintages the OP is looking at I think the YZ is the best choice. Now if he was looking at the '11 YZ vs '11 SX that's a whole different story (go KTM).

The YZ's are very tunable also. Some simple timing, jetting, flywheel weights or exhaust changes can mellow things out if so needed. The YZ chassis is very neutral and very predictable. The stock A0SS suspension is very, very good. And the YZ's reliability is great. Parts are also dirt cheap. Of the vintages the OP is looking at I think the YZ is the best choice. Now if he was looking at the '11 YZ vs '11 SX that's a whole different story (go KTM).

The KTM has the same tunability, PLUS what I mentioned, which makes it more adaptable, for less, easier to ride.

I don't doubt that the YZ is very good, but it's harder to tame the tiger that lives inside it. :ride:

now, if we were talking 03 KTM SX, then that is another story....

No doubt, the yz has the edge in all departements but the tunable powervalve. I think you'll find that the handling advantages of the yz will outweigh the engine tunability advantages of the ktm. You'll get used to the power delivery. Get used to riding with a finger on the clutch lever at all times and it will often keep you out of trouble. That goes for any bike. I think because you intend to ride track, the yz will be a better bike for you.

^ Yamapiston is a two-ringer too.

good to know. What is the normal piston life of the YZ? I have heard as little as 40-50 hrs, or less. I know rumors and untruths get spread, since many circulate about KTM's, LOL, so can someone detail that? The KTM is easily good for 100-150+ hrs depending on the type of riding being done.

Gmoss - you get the same service life with a YZ250 piston as you would a KTM. 100hrs no problem if filter is kept clean and not ran lean.

Personally I would take a 05+ YZ over any 05 KTM. I've had a lot of KTM's in my day, my last two KTM's were a 07 250 SX and 08 200W and I find the 05+ YZ's to work much better for me. I spent a lot of time and money on the suspension but they still were too stinkbuggy for me but with the SX's getting linkage next year I may be back on KTM and saying a different story but for now I'll keep my blue bikes. The KTM power plants always have been good and very tuneable.

good to know. What is the normal piston life of the YZ? I have heard as little as 40-50 hrs, or less. I know rumors and untruths get spread, since many circulate about KTM's, LOL, so can someone detail that? The KTM is easily good for 100-150+ hrs depending on the type of riding being done.

It really does depend on jetting, oil mixture ratio, air filter maintenance, and type of riding. Much like the fabled story of the Honda CRF motor always blowing up. However, 100 hours is about my comfort level on the YZs design and that's from a recreational trail rider only running a forged (non Yamapiston) only.

For an 05 I'd go with the yz. I just think it was better package back then. 08 and newer I'd go ktm. For Cali why not get an 02 cr for the green sticker? The only thing it would give up is the lighter handling of the 05 yz.

It really does depend on jetting, oil mixture ratio, air filter maintenance, and type of riding. Much like the fabled story of the Honda CRF motor always blowing up. However, 100 hours is about my comfort level on the YZs design and that's from a recreational trail rider only running a forged (non Yamapiston) only.

Are the cylinders nikasil lined? I agree, there are a lot of variables.

The YZ I looked at buying just felt foreign, and that was after owning a WR for 3 years, with a KTM in between. I have just never been able to come to grips with even a tamed down YZ for what I ride, BUT, I ride woods.

Get the one that you feel most comfortable with and try to ride both...how's that? LOL :ride: