what to use to prevent this

my friend was dirt biking this tuesday when he went got a double and basically went forward and the front tire hit the middle of the landing casing it. he got shot up 10ft in the air and landed on the other side. he busted his jaw and 5 teeth. how could he prevent this from happening ever again

well other then going faster.

protection wise, neck brace, and a mouth guard would be your best bet.

Are you asking about his jumping technique or safety gear?

Safety gear can't always save every part of a person. even with a mouth guard on the chin bar of the helmet could still smash you in the face hard enough to do damage with a direct impact.

change his hobby to basket-weaving.

Your friend my want to try small jumps them work up to a double jump

Single single.

change his hobby to basket-weaving.

With answers like this why would you even bother posting?

OP start out small until he feels comfortable to jump a double at speed and be well balanced on the bike.

Also check suspension setup.

Ride within his limits and ability. Not every kid goes pro his first year of riding.

Yup he needs to slow down until he gets comfortable enough and has the speed and ability to judge the distances a little more accurately. Also he should see about getting his suspension fine tuned for his needs and ability.

Edit: and I completely agree with the mouth guard. Saw a buddy lose a few teeth from another riders foot after a crash. Ive had a few close calls myself. Ill never ride without one again. Its just another part of my gear now and stays in the case in my goggle pouch!

OP start out small until he feels comfortable to jump a double at speed and be well balanced on the bike.

Also check suspension setup.

this prevents this from ever happening again ? Or just minimizes the chances ?

Maybe I read the question wrong. On my screen it said "prevent this from happening ever again".

My answer prevents this from ever happening again. Guaranteed.

If it happens while basket weaving, I will cover all the medical costs associated with it. Will you do the same for your recommendation ?

I know when I am at the track and there is a jump I haven't hit and I am a little timid about it. I do a few things.

1. Pull off to the side and see what riders are jumping it and how fast they are going to clear it.

2. Decide if the jump is actually within my abilities.

3. Pick a rider or two that are clearing the jump and that I think are about my speed. Pace them around the track for a few laps. If I am indeed the same speed or quicker then I believe that it is within my abilities to do the jump.

4. Continue to follow the rider I am pacing that is doing the jump and when we come around for anther lap hang it open and stay the same pace as that rider.

Walla, jump cleared!!!!

5. If I still do not feel I have found this jump comfortable after clearing it once. I either decide it is too dangerous for my comfort level or ability for that day or I continue to pace that rider lap after lap and doing the jump with the help of knowing I am going the correct speed to clear it. Do this enough until I know what speed is needed.

Edited by Kx_Ryan21
this prevents this from ever happening again ? Or just minimizes the chances ?

Maybe I read the question wrong. On my screen it said "prevent this from happening ever again".

My answer prevents this from ever happening again. Guaranteed.

If it happens while basket weaving, I will cover all the medical costs associated with it. Will you do the same for your recommendation ?

:smirk::smirk: