'06 250SX-F cam chain tensioner seal

Can I replace the copper cam chain tensioner seal without having to re-time the motor? Are there any precautions I should take before replacing the seal? My buddy told me to get the piston at TDC before replacing the seal; is that necessary, or can I just remove the cover and replace the seal? Any advice from people who have done this before on this specific motor? It has a 280cc big bore kit, too, if this somehow matters.

Thank you! :smirk:

Edited by BP88

Another thing, the oil level is at the middle of the sight glass when not running/cold. On my bike the oil level should be near the bottom of the sight glass when not running/cold. Is it possible that it's just overfilled and this blew the gasket? I know this is a common issue when the oil level is too high in some bikes. My buddy bought the bike this way and didn't really know much about 4-strokes.

Nevermind, oil level is lower than I thought. It leaked a lot sitting around.

You must have the marks on the cams facing each other before you remove the tensioner.

Collapse the tensioner when you refit it, then release it with a screwdriver on the tensioner blade from above or a allen key pushing through the small hole in the tensioner cap if yours has one.

You must have the marks on the cams facing each other before you remove the tensioner.

Collapse the tensioner when you refit it, then release it with a screwdriver on the tensioner blade from above or a allen key pushing through the small hole in the tensioner cap if yours has one.

Thanks, but can I replace the copper seal without having to remove the tensioner itself? I'd like to avoid that if possible. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks again.

No you have to remove it. Honestly... I have doen this on my bike about 50 times. Take of the cam cover. Line up the marks to face each other. Then turn out the bolt beneath the waterpump, remove the copper washer and lock the crank. Then you can take out the tensioner. There is also a step by step procedure to replace the tensioner. You cant just take it out and replace it.

Edited by Boerklong

What you can do is take out the sparkplug to reduce compresion. Then remove the bolt beneath the waterpump and shine in there with a torch. Slowly push the kickstart down till you see n gap in the crank. Remove the washer from the bolt you have taken out and screw back the bolt to lock the crank. Then you can remove the tensioner, but... To re install the tensioner you HAVE to remove the cam cover. I have learnt the hard way and it really takes only 20minuts to do.

no need to lock the crank to do this. As long as the chain doesnt move on the gears inside it doesnt matter. Lining up the marks is the same, no need.

The washer does come off if you can get the tensioner out of the motor with it in the frame. I fixed mine by heating it with a torch and then surface sanding it on both sides. This got it soft and flat again. Took 15 min and no trip to the parts store.