Sign in to follow this  

Michigan plating a bike in MI question

I am in Kansas where the DOT geniuses will not inspect a dual-sported dirtbike for a tag.

Any yo-yo can build a bike from scrap metal like a poor mans orange cnty choppers, but can I take a Honda built dirt bike, add lights etc and get it tagged. NO-WAY.

BUT, if I have a title from another state, they will accept that and give me a tag.

So, my plan is to get it ready and get it inspected and titled in Michigan when I am there on my next riding trip.

So, I have all the stuff on the bike that I need from my Baja Designs kit. so my question relates to paperwork.

I do not have a title for it so I will have to "sell" the bike to a MI buddy with a bill of sale.

My goal is just to get the title, not the plate. Can he just get a title and not plate it ?

After he gets it inspected, at the DMV, he will need to pay sales tax on the "purchase" price. Correct ?

Will it have to be insured ? I have insurance on the bike now with Geico. On the card, under insured, it has my name. I suppose that will cause a problem ?

Anything else I need to think about ? What am I missing ?

Probably the best thing to do would be to contact the Michigan Secretary of State with these questions, without an existing title it could be an problem.

if you want a mi title than you will have to pay for the title transfer an you will also need a bill of sale, the ispection will be done by the police dept do that before you go to the sos (secratry of state) but you will need a inspection paper from the sos, you wont have to buy a plate, the insurance should be fine, yes you will have to pay sales tax, is the bike in your name now? because that might be a problem if its not.

1) Sell buddy bike with bill of sale

2) Buddy goes to Secretary Of State and applies for a title, gets form

3) Police officer comes out and verifies VIN number, runs to make sure bike isn't stolen, signs off on your paper work

4) Back to S.O.S. to hand in paper work to get a title

Now he'll hold a clean off-road title for your bike.

To dual sport it is simular

1) S.O.S. again to get inspection form for an officer to go through to verify your bike is properly equiped.

2) Find an officer to inspect the bike and fill out the form.

3) Back to the S.O.S., where you have everyone in the place telling you that you can't go from a dirt title to a street title, despite all the forms and info you have. Two hours and 5-6 phone calls to Lansing later and you have your street title.

I did it easy this last time, Arizona doesn't diffrentiate between dirt and street. Moved to Arkansas, they asked which it was, I told a small fib, got a street title. Moved back to Michigan later on, they never asked, just gave me a street title. I'm not plated or equipped for it, but it'd be simple this time!

I've street titled four dirt bikes in MI. The first three came off without a hitch at the Brighton S.O.S. The fourth time I went I could not get through to them , la,la,la. I went directly from there to the Canton S.O.S. and an hour later had a street title for the cr. Sorta depends on the clerk behind the counter. On a side note. I once went to buy a bike about 7-8 years ago that had no title. I went to S.O.S. office with the Vin.No. All they would tell me was that there was nothing outstanding. No theft report, No lien. However they would not tell me who's name was on the title. She did tell me that if the bike was more than ten years old and there was issues in the computer I could apply and put it in my name. In other words I could self title with no paper work. The guy just seemed a little shady. The next day he sold it to a guy in Ohio. I saw the guy post up his new bike on T.T. The seller fed him all the same B.S. he fed me. If I"m not mistaken Ohio does not title dirt bikes. ust as some states don't title trailers.

I once bought a new bike shipped in from Canada. I went to title it a couple years later. Now that was a headache. I was missing one of the import papers. Basically its origin, port of entry into Canada and port of entry into U.S. The dealer was out of business and the importer to the U.S. had changed hands. It took a few months of legwork but it all worked out.

1) Sell buddy bike with bill of sale

2) Buddy goes to Secretary Of State and applies for a title, gets form

3) Police officer comes out and verifies VIN number, runs to make sure bike isn't stolen, signs off on your paper work

4) Back to S.O.S. to hand in paper work to get a title

Now he'll hold a clean off-road title for your bike.

To dual sport it is simular

1) S.O.S. again to get inspection form for an officer to go through to verify your bike is properly equiped.

2) Find an officer to inspect the bike and fill out the form.

3) Back to the S.O.S., where you have everyone in the place telling you that you can't go from a dirt title to a street title, despite all the forms and info you have. Two hours and 5-6 phone calls to Lansing later and you have your street title.

I did it easy this last time, Arizona doesn't diffrentiate between dirt and street. Moved to Arkansas, they asked which it was, I told a small fib, got a street title. Moved back to Michigan later on, they never asked, just gave me a street title. I'm not plated or equipped for it, but it'd be simple this time!

copied from Advrider. Some good info. Print and bring with ya to SOS so they know the section of there book to look to.

So here is what you need to know to get it done right:

Well, just got back from the Battle Creek SoS office. What a breeze!!!! I explained to the lady what iwas doing, gave here my ORV title for the CRF, the TR-54 VIN/Safety inspection singed off by an LEO and my proof of insurance. I also gave here the form for the statement of what was done to it where the parts came from etc. She gave that back and said she didn't need that.She had gotten this big 6in thick binder manual out and according to that I didn't need a rebuilt title nor did I need an assembled vehicle title. She went right to a section entitled "Upgrade an ORV for on-road use" According to that, all I needed was my original ORV title for the bike, the complete TR-54 and that was it for the title. It is handled as a title correction. Keep the same original VIN, they just change it byidentifying it as a motorcycle and remove the Off-highway only statement from it. I was able, since I now had a "Certificate of insurance" to immediately get a real plate for it!!!

She couldn't copy the page from their manual but I wrote done its heading for future reference, so write this down folks and save it if you are going to have to go thru this:

RV Section L

pg. 11

(03-08-09)

"Upgrade and ORV for on-road use"

She followed exactly what it said to do in that section and it was relatively quick and painless!!

Update to this process ... March 2012

If you do not have any title, they can do a search and if it comes back clean (1-3 hours later), they will issue a title.

You will have to provide a nada or kbb printout of the value of the bike - new requirement for 2012. They hit me with the highest value (per their call with Lansing) to pay taxes on.

I walked out with a title on the way - street title for a YZ426! No inspection - they just asked what type of bike!

Just need to get insurance, then will be hitting the streets.

Have a few more bikes to do, butlooks like the process still works.

Thad

Ann Arbor

Update to this process ... March 2012

If you do not have any title, they can do a search and if it comes back clean (1-3 hours later), they will issue a title.

You will have to provide a nada or kbb printout of the value of the bike - new requirement for 2012. They hit me with the highest value (per their call with Lansing) to pay taxes on.

I walked out with a title on the way - street title for a YZ426! No inspection - they just asked what type of bike!

Just need to get insurance, then will be hitting the streets.

Have a few more bikes to do, butlooks like the process still works.

Thad

Ann Arbor

Ann Arbor (the maple st. S.O.S.) is the only one that I've dealt with lately, and they seem to know what to do....Other than the wait...